Veloil Chainlube..

phobic

yep, bought one a few weeks ago.. been using the usual gear oil, but it flinges(sp?) alot and gets dirty so fast. want to try something new.. not many choices close to my loc though.

It does'nt say anything on the can.. kinda why i hesitate to use it.

/peace

I guess your concern is that the oil might deteriorate the rubber o-rings? Sorry I don't know about that.

BUT my friend recently got rid of his o-ring chain as he got a few frozen links. He figured its from the pressure washers blowing grease out of the chain, and of course you can not get grease back in it. So I just wanted to say, "mind the chain when spraying or having the bike sprayed with a power washer".

Also, at a thai bike parts shop here in Chiang Mai, that veloil chain lube is only 65b. It is excellent stuff too. It fizzes and penetrates well when you put it on then it dries up so it doesn't fling off.

I guess your concern is that the oil might deteriorate the rubber o-rings? Sorry I don't know about that.

Yeah, that is my concern.

BUT my friend recently got rid of his o-ring chain as he got a few frozen links. He figured its from the pressure washers blowing grease out of the chain, and of course you can not get grease back in it. So I just wanted to say, "mind the chain when spraying or having the bike sprayed with a power washer".

Ok thanks for the heads up, i always wash it myself and dont have a pressure washer so its not a concern right now. But if i take it to a washer i will remember that.

Also, at a thai bike parts shop here in Chiang Mai, that veloil chain lube is only 65b. It is excellent stuff too. It fizzes and penetrates well when you put it on then it dries up so it doesn't fling off.

I think i bought mine for 75bht or something, I will give it a try and see what happens i guess..

Thanks for the replies

Hey phobic, I can't help you out here but wanted to know what're the benefits of an O-ring chain? I assume the CBR150 comes with a non o-ring chain and thus requires lubing at intervals (what interval exactly I'm not sure). Does this then mean that an o-ring chain doesn't need to be lubed and just replaced when the lube has been "displaced" by a power washer?

Hey phobic, I can't help you out here but wanted to know what're the benefits of an O-ring chain? I assume the CBR150 comes with a non o-ring chain and thus requires lubing at intervals (what interval exactly I'm not sure). Does this then mean that an o-ring chain doesn't need to be lubed and just replaced when the lube has been "displaced" by a power washer?

Longer life ( 2-3 times longer some say ) and less maintainence(sp?).. I lube it anyhow, clean and lube about 500km ( or if i been driving on roads with gravel/mud/rain i clean it ). Dont have to i guess but its a habit. One more thing i noticed was that it didnt stretch after i installed it due to the higher tensile strength, which is nice.

Some say you should lube a chain(regular) every 500km, i did lube it a bit more often though.. doesnt hurt.

Downside is that its heavier and causing more friction which steals some power.. but its nothing huge.

Maybe someone have something else to add...

/peace

Withnail... any lube except the wd40 type of lubricant. thats just washes the lube/grease/oil off the chain. On a standard chain some people use the wd40 penetrating oil to clean the chain then apply chain lube after.

DO NOT USE WD40 type penetrating oil on an O-ring chain you will bugger it up. Allan

I believe that o-ring chains are still supposed to be oiled/lubed. The o-rings keep the lube inside the chain (within rollers) but the outside still needs lube as it is still contacting the sprockets etc. Dry metal on metal is certainly not good for your chain or sprockets and will wear them out prematurely. As far as lubing it after the oil has been displaced by a power washer, you can forget about it which is why I warned him. The oil is sealed in/everything else sealed out by the o-rings, so it can't be re-lubed once the oil is blown out by high pressure. Unless maybe you blow oil in with a pressure washer :) !

What lube would be safe to use on the stock chain on the CBR then?

The "VelOil Chain Lube" found at Thai parts/accessory shops seems to be very good stuff for regular chains but we aren't sure about using it on o-ring chains. It is also quite cheap at 65b-100b per can.

• 2 years later...

It has been a long wait for an answer but today, Paul Rogers, of Veloil, Thailand, has responded to an inquiry about the use of Veloil Chain Spray Lube on o-ring style chains. He tells me that after in-house testing, they have have determined that Veloil Chain Spray Lube is safe for o-ring style chains. If any of you have further, specific questions about that product, you can contact Veloil company and ask for Paul Rogers.

Recently picked up some outboard motor grease from the boat shop in Lamphun to give it a try; funny enough have had boats all of my adult life but never considered using it. Did use marine fogging oil on my bikes for winter storage thou.

Have used that sticky Veloil since moving here, though I do keep a .5 l bottle of gear oil at home in case I'm out of spray. Found it for 65 b at Mr China's shop, or 75 b at other bike stores.

An oil soak and clean revives a high mileage chain quite nicely, most noticeably after all the riding I did in flood waters with a cheapish, well used Kawasaki chain. Using a 7 liter container, laid on it's side with an entire side cut off, half filled with well settled used motor oil (but not used diesel oil as it's just too messy). Submerge the chain, then scrub with a brass wire brush and let soak overnight. Following a cleaning the next day with a trimmed paint brush, taking time to work loose the couple of tight links I had, then hang to drip to reasonably dry. A quick wipe down and install on the bike, even looking very clean and dry the chain with throw oil on your first ride, but beside cleaning this is the goal. When applying a chain grease to your hot and clean chain, the lube will be for more miscible with the oil then water and dirt.