Wireless Internet Bkk With The Edge Card

Dutch123

Would like to know if anybody of you guys has bought this card already and if it really works and is faster then a normal telephoneline.

The card you can buy at a office of Dtac and is 13.600 bath per month the fee will be for the fist 3 month 600 bath and then 1200 bath a month.

Looking forward to your responses

His point is price. Cell phone is 15-25KB tops.

Card is 13,600B/month x 3 = 40,000B and you still dont own it

as there is another 1200B/m to go.

Sounds way too expensive to me.

The card is your if you buy it the costs are 13.600 bath to use the network will cost the first 3 months 600b an then 1200b a month for the rest of the year.

I don't see why the cards are so expensive - they have no camera :o

are the cards sim locked? - if so what happens if the competition comes out with a better price plan/coverage? or you visit a neigbouring country ?

the cheapest EDGE phones at MBK are 11.5k( and down with a bit of bargianing) baht and a bluetooth dongle will set you back 600baht.

having a phone also gives you a portable computer , as there are many programs that run on the symbian operating system - web browsers , IM/chat clients , pdf viewers , ir remotes , BT remotes , xvid video players , mp3 players etc.

and with the bt phone , you can place it where it gets the best reception and set you laptop up within 10 metres of it.

Someone help me out, please, on a couple of questions here.

EDGE is only available via DTAC in Thailand. Correct?

Second, could I use my existing Sony Ericsson Z600 phone with my [1st gen] Apple Powerbook G4 [having the BT built in] and with a 801.11b/g antenna built into the case and get EDGE speeds on the EDGE network?

Guess, what I'm asking is this- does EDGE require EDGE dedicated hardware, or is it backwards compatible on the older GPRS equipment?

Edited by GoodHeart

Yes, DTAC are only company with significant EDGE network at the moment (only in Bangkok).

EDGE is backwards compatible with GPRS, ie. you can use your GPRS phone on an EDGE network. However, you will only get GPRS speed. If you want to get EDGE speeds you need an EDGE capable phone or other device.

Yes, DTAC are only company with significant EDGE network at the moment (only in Bangkok).

EDGE is backwards compatible with GPRS, ie. you can use your GPRS phone on an EDGE network. However, you will only get GPRS speed. If you want to get EDGE speeds you need an EDGE capable phone or other device.

Does anyone knows something about the speed of Edge???????