Protein Sources

new2bangkok

I'm going to hit the gym again after 2 years of inactivity. I found a good gym and my training routine is ready, but i'm still struggling with my dietplan. A lot of the rich-protein sources i ate before are not available in Thailand or i'm having serious doubts about the quality of those products.

For example soft curd cheese, i ate 1 kilo of that stuff daily when i was bulking up. Where to buy that in Thailand?

An alternative for me to use instead of soft curd cheese would be cottage cheese, but even that i can't find.

The cheese in tesco lotus and carrefour i've seen is very expensive anyway.

One other protein source i ate a lot was tunafish (on water basis) in can. I've seen it a while ago at tesco but expensive (50 baht / can??).

The quality of certain products also brings some questions to my mind. Where does the meat come from? Do Thai farmers inject their cattle with growth hormones?

What about the quality of chicken and eggs? Is it screened on dioxine, parasites and salmonella?

Are fish like salmon breeded for consumption in Thailand? Does it contain a high concentration of heavy metals or not?

Etc. etc.

Can my fellow-"bodybuilders" please advise me about which high-protein sources i can eat in Thailand?

Thanks.

I'm going to hit the gym again after 2 years of inactivity. I found a good gym and my training routine is ready, but i'm still struggling with my dietplan. A lot of the rich-protein sources i ate before are not available in Thailand or i'm having serious doubts about the quality of those products.

For example soft curd cheese, i ate 1 kilo of that stuff daily when i was bulking up. Where to buy that in Thailand?

An alternative for me to use instead of soft curd cheese would be cottage cheese, but even that i can't find.

The cheese in tesco lotus and carrefour i've seen is very expensive anyway.

One other protein source i ate a lot was tunafish (on water basis) in can. I've seen it a while ago at tesco but expensive (50 baht / can??).

The quality of certain products also brings some questions to my mind. Where does the meat come from? Do Thai farmers inject their cattle with growth hormones?

What about the quality of chicken and eggs? Is it screened on dioxine, parasites and salmonella?

Are fish like salmon breeded for consumption in Thailand? Does it contain a high concentration of heavy metals or not?

Etc. etc.

Can my fellow-"bodybuilders" please advise me about which high-protein sources i can eat in Thailand?

Thanks.

I struggled with that too, now i just eat loads of chicken, its quite cheap here for 75 baht you got a kg. I eat around 800 gr of it on a day. Then i take some protein shakes and im set. I dont even need the protein shakes but i like them.

I combine the protein shakes with oatmeal, creatine and flax seed oil to have the perfect morning meal (quick to make and healthy)

If you have more questions go to the site i mention in my profile its a forum for bodybuilders but its a bid death at the moment but if you post you will bet awnsers. There are some good food tips there too.

I forgot to mention there is steamed chicken available in many restaurants, you see them hanging out somewhere then. Just ask for a big plate without rice and without the skin. Then you dont have to prepare it yourself. Its not that expensive either.

You can also go to an oishi bufet once in a while and for around 400 bt eat all the raw salmon you want.

Thanks for the tip, i'll take a look at the website.

Chicken really is cheap. 2 years ago when i wasn't living in Thailand yet, i paid +/- 10 euro ($14 USD) for 1 kg chickenfilet. Maybe i'll just drop the soft curd cheese and stuff myself with chicken and eggs. It's better quality protein anyway and it doesn't contain lactose.

Where do you buy your chicken and flaxseed oil?

P.s. Are you Dutch? You have a Dutch-sounding nickname.

Edited by new2bangkok

Thanks for the tip, i'll take a look at the website.

Chicken really is cheap. 2 years ago when i wasn't living in Thailand yet, i paid +/- 10 euro ($14 USD) for 1 kg chickenfilet. Maybe i'll just drop the soft curd cheese and stuff myself with chicken and eggs. It's better quality protein anyway and it doesn't contain lactose.

Where do you buy your chicken and flaxseed oil?

P.s. Are you Dutch? You have a Dutch-sounding nickname.

I am Dutch.

The chicken you buy in tesco / big c / carefour ect

The flaxseed oil buy from a friend he buys a lot of it and then resells it. I like the products i used it in holland too.

I get it from a mate who sells it to me for 1200 bt its half a liter. I like having it in my diet, its works out cheaper then the fish oil capsules im buying.

I have heard rumours too that you can buy it in Villa market and i have seen capsules of GNC in BKK but these are really really much more expensive then the oil itself.

For anyone interested i can give out his phone nr because i dont want to be in the middle.

Edited by robblok

OK chicken in Thailand is cheap but can u get free range or organic chicken as this would be a much better option considering all the crap they pump into caged chickens.

Would you trust that you really got organic chicken ? I mean who checks it and could they be bribed.. i mean TIT

I haven't seen flaxseed oil in Villa, but I have seen flaxseeds. They were around Bt 150, but cannot remember the amount.

Foremost do cottage cheese in 150g tubs at around Bt 37. Sold in Carrefour, Villa, Foodland etc.

You can also buy tins of sardines and mackerel for between Bt 13 and 20, and they have 20-27g of protein in a 155g tin.

Boots do concentrated fish oil capsules, but it isn't that cheap.

Meat and fish are cheap, but there may be issues with quality.

I haven't seen flaxseed oil in Villa, but I have seen flaxseeds. They were around Bt 150, but cannot remember the amount.

Foremost do cottage cheese in 150g tubs at around Bt 37. Sold in Carrefour, Villa, Foodland etc.

You can also buy tins of sardines and mackerel for between Bt 13 and 20, and they have 20-27g of protein in a 155g tin.

Flaxseeds are useless because you can't digest it. Those seeds go straight to the end hole.

If i'm right, sardines and mackerel have a very high fat percentage just like salmon. Tunafish has no fat, or very low fat < 1%.

I have a Thai friend who eats all kinds of meat excpet for Chicken because he says they are FULL of chemicals and he is not the type of person to have "organic" inclinations. Why not go fish only and cut out meat? :)

If you want to look like a sumowrestler after a few months, sure it might be a solution haha. But most fish have a very high fat percentage, so it's not very suitable to replace meat with fish. Fish has it's own problems too, heavy metals, parasites etc.

Flaxseeds are useless because you can't digest it. Those seeds go straight to the end hole.

If i'm right, sardines and mackerel have a very high fat percentage just like salmon. Tunafish has no fat, or very low fat < 1%.

I have a Thai friend who eats all kinds of meat excpet for Chicken because he says they are FULL of chemicals and he is not the type of person to have "organic" inclinations. Why not go fish only and cut out meat? :)

If you want to look like a sumowrestler after a few months, sure it might be a solution haha. But most fish have a very high fat percentage, so it's not very suitable to replace meat with fish. Fish has it's own problems too, heavy metals, parasites etc.

Flaxseeds are not useless at all. Yes, they are difficult to digest whole, but you can grind them with a coffee grinder, or chew them thoroughly. Then you get the benefits, along with a source of decent fibre.

Whilst sardines have more fat than tuna, it is essential fatty accids, ie good fats. They also supply more calcium, are cheaper, taste better and generally have less risk of exposure to heavy metals than tuna.

Flaxseeds are not useless at all. Yes, they are difficult to digest whole, but you can grind them with a coffee grinder, or chew them thoroughly. Then you get the benefits, along with a source of decent fibre.

Whilst sardines have more fat than tuna, it is essential fatty accids, ie good fats. They also supply more calcium, are cheaper, taste better and generally have less risk of exposure to heavy metals than tuna.

I agree sardines are lower in the food chain so a lower risk. I wish i could eat fish, i really tried but it makes me sick. Not all fish though... i can eat salmon raw and smoked.. Tuna.. cod and macker (smoked) but sardines i have tried in the past.. just cant eat them.

The same applies for a lot of fish so i stick with chicken.

Good luck with that, even if you chew like a cow on those seeds, only a small portion of it will be digested. To fully gain the benefits of the seeds, you have to take the oil.

Yes i agree sardines are good, rich in omega 3, but from a bodybuilding standpoint it's not ideal as a protein source because it has a high amount of fat, so you easily eat too much fat in one meal if you want to eat 30+ grams of protein from sardines.

In a diet i like to get each macronutrient from different food. For example, chicken (protein)+rice(carbs)+half a tablespoon olive oil(unsaturated fat).

Good luck with that, even if you chew like a cow on those seeds, only a small portion of it will be digested. To fully gain the benefits of the seeds, you have to take the oil.

Yes i agree sardines are good, rich in omega 3, but from a bodybuilding standpoint it's not ideal as a protein source because it has a high amount of fat, so you easily eat too much fat in one meal if you want to eat 30+ grams of protein from sardines.

In a diet i like to get each macronutrient from different food. For example, chicken (protein)+rice(carbs)+half a tablespoon olive oil(unsaturated fat).

Then use a coffee grinder to grind them, or a put in a plastic bag and use a rolling pin. Good way to get good dietary fibre and other benefits that the oil does not give. The oil can also go rancid pretty easily if not stored correctly.

Carrefour sardines in tomato sauce only has 2g of total fat in a 155g tin and 20g of protein. 3g per 30g of protein, compared to around just under a gram for the same amount of protein from tuna. Not really going to make that much of a difference unless you are at the weighing your food out to the exact gram stage.

Then use a coffee grinder to grind them, or a put in a plastic bag and use a rolling pin. Good way to get good dietary fibre and other benefits that the oil does not give. The oil can also go rancid pretty easily if not stored correctly.

Carrefour sardines in tomato sauce only has 2g of total fat in a 155g tin and 20g of protein. 3g per 30g of protein, compared to around just under a gram for the same amount of protein from tuna. Not really going to make that much of a difference unless you are at the weighing your food out to the exact gram stage.

Really? I always thought sardines were very high in fat just like salmon. Maybe i'll give it a try then.

I might take a go at those sardines.. but i worry i would not be able to keep them down. I would like some change of protein sources but i cant take too much tuna because of the heavy metals.

Also i think that salmon would work out too expensive if i want to eat loads of it :)

Salmon is pretty cheap in Thailand.

You can get a nice Teriakyi Salmon steak for about 200 baht with rice and miso in Fuji.

That has to be good value.

Egg whites are another option i think if you are looking for cheap protein sources.

Edited by Tolley

You can get a nice Teriakyi Salmon steak for about 200 baht with rice and miso in Fuji.

Egg whites are another option i think if you are looking for cheap protein sources.

Salmon might be cheap but not in the volumes i would be eating it.. like 700 grams of it.

How about 'Tofu juice' ( soy bean juice), Thai = 'nam tao hu' .

This is how the vegetarians in Thailand get their protein sources from. You can get from any neighborhood wet market ( Thai = Talaad soad), very cheap, you pay about 7-8 baht for a 14 oz in a plastic bag.

I'm a person that take milk daily.

When in TL, I'd drink 3 bags of tofu juicea a day, I don't have much confidence how the milk is processing here. :)

How about 'Tofu juice' ( soy bean juice), Thai = 'nam tao hu' .

This is how the vegetarians in Thailand get their protein sources from. You can get from any neighborhood wet market ( Thai = Talaad soad), very cheap, you pay about 7-8 baht for a 14 oz in a plastic bag.

I'm a person that take milk daily.

When in TL, I'd drink 3 bags of tofu juicea a day, I don't have much confidence how the milk is processing here. :)

There is a lot of discussion about soy protein. I just dont trust it so i dont use it.

Protein protein protein........I just took 20 lbs of flab off my love handles......and went from an all out out of shape bench press of 270 1 rep to now 10 reps via 30 mg of glutamine and 20 mg of creatine daily.... I shut out almost 100% of fat in my diet..........I also use egg whites and skinless chicken breast and no salmon as it is too fatty.......I went from 245lbs of untrained flab to where I am now and it took almost no time.....zero fat is the key.......The method I used to build was 4 reps of each excercise going from 15 to 12 to 10 to 8 reps per exercise and as many diffrent exercises per body part as possible...on average of about 4......for example decline straight and incline then flys...so 16 sets on chest....I also started a 4 mile run walk every other day.......Done......The wife is blown away at the change and I am pretty much on the way back to where I was 10 years ago.............All it takes is a desire and a goal.....

Protein protein protein........I just took 20 lbs of flab off my love handles......and went from an all out out of shape bench press of 270 1 rep to now 10 reps via 30 mg of glutamine and 20 mg of creatine daily.... I shut out almost 100% of fat in my diet..........I also use egg whites and skinless chicken breast and no salmon as it is too fatty.......I went from 245lbs of untrained flab to where I am now and it took almost no time.....zero fat is the key.......The method I used to build was 4 reps of each excercise going from 15 to 12 to 10 to 8 reps per exercise and as many diffrent exercises per body part as possible...on average of about 4......for example decline straight and incline then flys...so 16 sets on chest....I also started a 4 mile run walk every other day.......Done......The wife is blown away at the change and I am pretty much on the way back to where I was 10 years ago.............All it takes is a desire and a goal.....

I got simular results as you but i kept fats in my diet. But only healthy fats and loads of protein. The body needs fats. But hey if it worked for you then it worked.

I am now shredding the lasts bits of fat trying to get a 6 pack. Like you said things are possible if you set goals and keep to your diet and training. But it does take a lot of effort and not everyone is willing to put that effort in.

Salmon might be cheap but not in the volumes i would be eating it.. like 700 grams of it.

Do you really need that much protein?

Sounds like a heck of an amount of food to eat.

How big do you really want to get?

Do you really need that much protein?

Sounds like a heck of an amount of food to eat.

How big do you really want to get?

I take around 1,5 to 2 grams of protein per kg of bodyweight. Actaully with my current diet im Higher then 2 grams of protein and most say that is not needed. But i prefer to go high protein with lower carb and high good fats.

I dont want to get really big maybe around 100kg with 8-10% of bodyfat at 180 cm. I will never become a pro bodybuilder and i dont want to be one. I am 35 already so im not that ambitious anymore.

I used to eat Quark back home. Was about 100 bhat per tub which was about 35g or protein.

Anyone seen that out here?

Tops do Organic Free Range Eggs.

Quark? Do you mean kwark? Are you Dutch perhaps? We eat a lot of kwark in Holland.

I bought a pack of sardines and mackerel in tomatosauce last week at tesco lotus. It's really cheap and not disgusting as i thought it would be, it does pretty good in a salad.