Adsl Router

bsacbob

Guy's

Just called to see the very nice man at the TOT office in town today,to enquire why my broadband speed is so slow, whilst i expected him to say you are so far out of town and you are at the end of the line story or you need to upgrade your bandwith, he hit me with a new one.

"It's because you leave your router on all day sir he said" you must turn off your router every day for at least an hour so it can acquire a new IP he added, during the conversation i did notice a very strong smell of BS coming from his direction, but can anyone throw anything into the pot to clarify :) ??

Some degree of BS, but yes, we should periodically power off the router/modem. It is called power cycling, commonly used with a cable modem. You need to just power it off for 10 mins, every few days, and not for an hour everyday. Helps to delete off accummulated errors and get a new WAN IP address.

As for your slow speed, try getting help at the forum in www.speedguide.net Could be a problem with signal quality, malware or just need some TCP settings tweaks.

Guy's

Just called to see the very nice man at the TOT office in town today,to enquire why my broadband speed is so slow, whilst i expected him to say you are so far out of town and you are at the end of the line story or you need to upgrade your bandwith, he hit me with a new one.

"It's because you leave your router on all day sir he said" you must turn off your router every day for at least an hour so it can acquire a new IP he added, during the conversation i did notice a very strong smell of BS coming from his direction, but can anyone throw anything into the pot to clarify :D ??

This is probably just the beginning of it!

I have TT&T and 8 weeks ago I started calling 1103 because Internet was slow in afternoons/evenings (but really fast in mornings until 2pm).

They sent a technichian and they said they had connected me "to another line".

After that it started to be really slow in the afternoons, so slow that it stopped completely many times.

I called again to 1103 and then they sent out new technicians that said it was the router. I needed a new router! Why the router was OK in the morning but not in the afternoon they could not answer.

So I got a new router from TT&T at Big C, only 100 baht.

Same problem, new call to 1103, new technicians and now they found that one line was not connected properly where the line goes into the house.

Same problem, new call to 1103, new technicians and now it was the software in the router that was old, they updated that and left.

Same problem, new call to 1103 and new technicians and now they say that I have the wrong packet, I must pay more and update to a packet that is special for farangs that wants to go on Internet outside Thailand!

So that is why the Internet works fine in the mornings until 2 pm but slow down after that!

So far I have seen at least 10 different technicians and the last couple of times I called 1103 I have said they dont need to send any technicians to the house, I dont want to see them. Just start up my Internet!

Anyone that got a special packet for farangs connecting outside Thailand ?

:D :D :)

Guy's

"It's because you leave your router on all day sir he said" you must turn off your router every day for at least an hour so it can acquire a new IP he added, during the conversation i did notice a very strong smell of BS coming from his direction, but can anyone throw anything into the pot to clarify :D ??

This is probably just the beginning of it!

I have TT&T and 8 weeks ago I started calling 1103 because Internet was slow in afternoons/evenings (but really fast in mornings until 2pm).

They sent a technichian and they said they had connected me "to another line".

After that it started to be really slow in the afternoons, so slow that it stopped completely many times.

I called again to 1103 and then they sent out new technicians that said it was the router. I needed a new router! Why the router was OK in the morning but not in the afternoon they could not answer.

So I got a new router from TT&T at Big C, only 100 baht.

Same problem, new call to 1103, new technicians and now they found that one line was not connected properly where the line goes into the house.

Same problem, new call to 1103, new technicians and now it was the software in the router that was old, they updated that and left.

Same problem, new call to 1103 and new technicians and now they say that I have the wrong packet, I must pay more and update to a packet that is special for farangs that wants to go on Internet outside Thailand!

So that is why the Internet works fine in the mornings until 2 pm but slow down after that!

So far I have seen at least 10 different technicians and the last couple of times I called 1103 I have said they dont need to send any technicians to the house, I dont want to see them. Just start up my Internet!

Anyone that got a special packet for farangs connecting outside Thailand ?

:D :D :)

At 2 pm the internet shops open and the lazy boys get out of bed :D

Thanks for the info, but we have been told we cannot get TT&T for some reason, even though the main office on the superhighway is only 7 km from our house, but having said that it sounds like Sven has issue's with them.

I am taking my router ( belkin 54g wireless) to the nice guy at TOT so he can check the settings and maybe improve the proformance.

If you have the TT&T "Indy" ADSL package (590 baht or less) and a free/cheap router don't expect fast, reliable service. The "Premier" packages work much better, especially with a brand name router (D-Link, Linksys, etc.).

:)

my ADSL ~ 790 baht and the router ; wireless ~ 2500 , do not have to power off every day or single day . a few second for sometimes a month .

yes the router and adsl cause the speech of the internet.

now the router has resonable price with the good quality than the one you get free from the internet company.

Edited by uusa

Sometimes it can be a good idea to set your own DNS. One of the guys over on the computer forum recommended this and it worked great for me. One way to find the better / faster DNS servers is with a neat free tool http://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

When you run it (select 'Namservers' tab and then click "Benchmark", it tests your nameservers against lots of others.

It may not make downloads any faster, but it sure eliminated many of the 404 errors when trying to open URLs

Sometimes it can be a good idea to set your own DNS. One of the guys over on the computer forum recommended this and it worked great for me. One way to find the better / faster DNS servers is with a neat free tool http://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

When you run it (select 'Namservers' tab and then click "Benchmark", it tests your nameservers against lots of others.

It may not make downloads any faster, but it sure eliminated many of the 404 errors when trying to open URLs

Thanks for the info but i run on a Mac and the program would not run for me, i am now upgraded to 3 megs and things are slightly better.

Thanks for the info but i run on a Mac and the program would not run for me, i am now upgraded to 3 megs and things are slightly better.

The IP's that are working good for me lately are 129.250.35.250 and 129.250.35.251

• 2 weeks later...

For your update:

I had a couple of technicians Monday and Tuesday from TT&T and Wednesday to Friday it worked like a clock. But then Saturday and Sunday it was sh!te again. Either slow. slow. slow or not working at all.

But a couple of times I tried the trick someone wrote about in another topic, lift the receiver on your phone (connected on same line as your ADSL) and hold it 20-30 seconds until you got this engaged tone. Do that 3 times.

I got my Internet back 5-6 times that way during weekend and 2 times this afternoon again. Got problems today again and technicians on their way. They are going to check the line ALL THE WAY TO THE HIGHWAY this time!!!

Wish me luck!

:):D:D