Do Thai Men Pay A Monthly Allowance To Their Wife's Family?

Livinginexile

In my country, parents are supposed to help their children's family out if they need something. But we generally prefer a quality over quantity breeding approach. :)

So are you saying 'your' country has it right ?

You must be very happy staying there.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my country, parents are supposed to help their children's family out if they need something. But we generally prefer a quality over quantity breeding approach. :)

So are you saying 'your' country has it right ?

You must be very happy staying there.

I am happy staying there and I am happy staying in Thailand.

How do you manage to breed quality offspring? Genetic engineering? IVF using donors with good genes?

soloman

Each relationship is unique. ................... As I reflect on the past 3 years with her I would do everything the same way.

Including not learning even enough of the language of your wife and her family to communicate with the grandmother (or anyone else)? How many years have you been exposed to Thai people?

How do you manage to breed quality offspring? Genetic engineering? IVF using donors with good genes?

I wasn't talking about eugenicism :D, but about having fewer children and instead using all resources on their future.

I'd like to ask a hypothetical question.

Lets say two Thai's, each coming from similar social/economic backgrounds marry each other. What would the financial obligations be for the husband to his wife's family?

Now let's assume they both come from poor rural backgrounds with no education past secondary level.

My question is:

1. Would the husband be obliged to pay his wife's family a monthly allowance?

2. Would the wife be obliged to pay her husband's family a monthly allowance?

3. Would neither pay because it not part of Thai culture to pay an allowance to each others family?

Lets keep the answers civil folks.

If he has significantly more money than her family, then it would be normal for her family to pay some money to him for example he might say that since he is going to take care of her financially then he wants her father to contribute something - perhaps some land so they can build a house on it which he might pay for.

The poorer family is usually expected to give something to the richer family as compensation.

If you are a farang then she is marrying down because Thais a superior to farangs so you have to compensate.

That is how it often is with working class Thais. Middle class Thais are educated and are less likely to see a farang a inferior etc and dowry and family contributions are less likely to be expected.

If you are *expected* to contribute financially to her family, and you accept this then you are accepting inferior status to their family which is the case with many Thai/Farang relationships where farangs marry bar girls etc. Personally I would never accept this, since I am English and the English are a race superior to all others :)

How can a low life family perceive anyone with a west high school diploma or more as inferior?

Some of those people (yes I have dealt with and I speak enough thai ) are incredibly inert and unable to understand simple concepts. Perhaps their believing any westerner is inferior is projecting their own inferiority complexes.

When I needed an interpreter to communicate with these people my interpreter said I am lucky being unable to speak with them.

Out of respect I avoid comparing them to buffaloes, that is respect for the buffaloes.

Edited by atyclb

I was in a relationship with a very well-off Thai for a while, and I never felt for 1 second like anyone was looking to me to provide any money in the future. In fact, I'm pretty sure they would've refused any money and been offended if I offered it.

I was in another relationship for 8-9 months with another Thai whose family is middle-class or upper middle class, not sure. They had two houses in Bangkok, but nothing extremely fancy. The family was never in need of money, and again I never felt like I was going to be any kind of meal ticket. In the relationship, sometimes I had more money, sometimes my partner had more money... whoever had more paid for the fun that day. :)

These weren't marriages... but the first relationship was over 2 years and was the reason I moved to Thailand, so it may as well have been a marriage. In both situations, I felt like everyone sort of shared their money where it was needed, within reason, and I would have too.

Of course I've been in relationships with someone from a poor family, and those have varied greatly. Some people will call you every other day and need money for this or that or because they need their 5th new phone in as many months (what is it with poor thai people and needing a new phone every month lol)... another time, I told someone I was short on money and didn't want to go out to eat that night, and they told me they were going to give me half of their paycheck that month! Coming from someone who has nothing, that was about the sweetest thing I had ever heard in my life... (I didn't take it lol)