It Industry In Thailand

Hi,

I am currently living in the UK, but I'm hoping to re-locate and work in Thailand: could anyone please give me some advice as to how easy this is to achieve? Basically, my area of expertise is in IT and website development, so ideally I'd like to continue working in this industry in Thailand if possible.

Basically, I'd like to know about the logistics behind such a plan: i.e. how one goes about finding a job such as this in Thailand, assuming this is even possible for a westerner? Is starting up a business the best option, and is it possible to work as a sole trader on a freelance basis, picking up short contracts and other pieces of work? What are the work permit / visa issues? Basically, am I going to find it very difficult to find myself in a working situation in Thailand, or are there a reasonable amount of opportunities out there?

Also, if there's anyone out there who uses this site who's been in a situation such as mine and managed to successfully relocate to Thailand then it would be great to hear from you!

Thanks a lot,

Dan.

Depends what your skillset is.

Some areas are in demand with good contracts to be picked up.

Unfort the Indians have invaded now.

Hi,

I am currently living in the UK, but I'm hoping to re-locate and work in Thailand: could anyone please give me some advice as to how easy this is to achieve? Basically, my area of expertise is in IT and website development, so ideally I'd like to continue working in this industry in Thailand if possible.

Basically, I'd like to know about the logistics behind such a plan: i.e. how one goes about finding a job such as this in Thailand, assuming this is even possible for a westerner? Is starting up a business the best option, and is it possible to work as a sole trader on a freelance basis, picking up short contracts and other pieces of work? What are the work permit / visa issues? Basically, am I going to find it very difficult to find myself in a working situation in Thailand, or are there a reasonable amount of opportunities out there?

Also, if there's anyone out there who uses this site who's been in a situation such as mine and managed to successfully relocate to Thailand then it would be great to hear from you!

Thanks a lot,

Dan.

Hi,

Thanks a lot,

Dan.

In general, based on my observations over the last decade of working IT, foreigners that get positions in IT in LOS have many years of expertise and several key/high end reference projects in disciplines where that expertise is in short supply in LOS. For example , web developers are a dime a dozen whereas datawarehousing/mining and security experts are more sparse. These jobs are a mixture of independent contracting, placement with a thai firm or transfers within a multinational. I'm sure there are also freelance guys doing more general ad hoc stuff that is not necessarily in short supply in LOS(web design, networking, PC support,simple programming), but the sort of services they offer wouldn't generally be what a company would employ (and hence facilitate the visa and work permit).Therfore they can survive through their own marketing nause, but have to take care of their immigration/work permit status themselves. Their are also guys who have contracts in the west, but service them remotely from LOS.

Well that was a long winded intreo, to answer a few of your questions :

how to find a job ?

newspaper classifieds, door knocking, regional recruiters, swpark.or.th, networking ie: knowing the right people, trade shows, local organisations/commerce & trade groups. Also , dont rule out Singapore either, just a stones throw away from LOS.

business structure ?

if you get a job, not really necessary. If you want to contract you could incorporate a company (and get a visa/work permit this way.)Also consider your tax organisation.

work permit/visa issues ?

yes you need a non imm visa and then a work permit to legally work.

get good diplomas - Cisco first, next some *nix, and lots of experience.

IT pros are still in high demand, wherever you're and whatever others say.

watch bugtrack, buy cheap Pent, study news... get contacts.

don't screw up, everything will be fine - they still need you here.

PS - dont forget - whole flock of indians were fired last month from True only for 3 reasons: attitude, language gap and , sorry, smell.

Thanks for these replies, guys, and as I kind of expected a mix of encouraging and not-quite-so-encouraging responses!

I'm leaning towards the idea of giving it a go. The worst case scenario is that I can't find any work and I have to return to England with my tail between my legs... at least I'll have spent a few months in Thailand and I've still got the safety net of England to come back to.

Thanks for these replies, guys, and as I kind of expected a mix of encouraging and not-quite-so-encouraging responses!

I'm leaning towards the idea of giving it a go. The worst case scenario is that I can't find any work and I have to return to England with my tail between my legs... at least I'll have spent a few months in Thailand and I've still got the safety net of England to come back to.

of course, give it a go..and be a persistent bugger..something will surely eventuate. And if you can't get a job, then be entreprenurial and make a job!

of course, give it a go..and be a persistent bugger..something will surely eventuate. And if you can't get a job, then be entreprenurial and make a job!

Hi all,

I am a italian guy of 57 years. I am a It consultant with many years of experience in differerent sector as Oracle DBA, Unix systemist, many programming language and so on. I am about to decide to expatriate there in few weeks. For what i known in Thayland is not possible to a alien to get a job out that start a business. So i am thinking to start a little company and supply IT services by internet or designe and manifacture and export small computer device. I will be happy to hear what you all think about.

Well that's what i had to do. Couldn't find a reasonable job in a year and came back to europe.

Landed a 3 level consulting job in a mayor bank in a few weeks :o

Do a search on the topic , this has come up many times already

. For what i known in Thayland  is not possible to a alien to get a job

Incorrect.

There are lots of aliens employed in IT in LOS.Myself included. It is just that is harder to get a job in IT (or any career profession for that matter), than it is in the west.

There are lots of aliens employed in IT in LOS.Myself included. It is just that is harder to get a job in IT (or any career profession for that matter), than it is in the west.

I'd like to hear more about this. Sometimes I look through the newspaper or some of the websites but rarely are there any computer/programmer jobs. Once in a while I might see a networking position. Where do you find the computer jobs?

Edited by fxm87

I'd like to hear more about this. Sometimes I look through the newspaper or some of the websites but rarely are there any computer/programmer jobs. Once in a while I might see a networking position. Where do you find the computer jobs?

I dont really know to tell you the truth. I was transferred to our LOS division from overseas, I never really had the desire to want/need to work in LOS and hence the need to look for work. Just happened. Most guys I know in IT are also with multinationals and were transferred in, I only know of a handful working for local companies.

Earlier in this thread I posed a few potential avenues for finding work.

how to find a job ?

newspaper classifieds, door knocking, regional recruiters, swpark.or.th, networking ie: knowing the right people, trade shows, local organisations/commerce & trade groups. Also , dont rule out Singapore either, just a stones throw away from LOS.

Hi there,

I work in the IT recruitment business in Thailand so maybe i can help answer some of the questions.

There is a strong demand for Non Thai Software Development managers/ directors with skills in C+, Java, .net. who can manage teams of 20+

Other areas that Non Thais are successful are in data center management.

My advice would be if you are not in the above areas then locating employment will be difficult.

However you can apply through www.etechnology.co.th

Best Of luck,

DJ My

I dont really know to tell you the truth. I was transferred to our LOS division from overseas, I never really had the desire to want/need to work in LOS and hence the need to look for work. Just happened. Most guys I know in IT are also with multinationals and were transferred in, I only know of a handful working for local companies.

Earlier in this thread I posed a few potential avenues for finding work.

how to find a job ?

I have found enough freelance web work to survive in Thailand, but in the long run it's not worth it- I can only make a tenth of what I make at home, and it's not legal work.

You should really consider opening your own business. Or get contracts at home that you can do from here.

Hi there,

I work in the IT recruitment business in Thailand so maybe i can help answer some of the questions.

There is a strong demand for Non Thai Software Development managers/ directors with skills in C+, Java, .net. who can manage teams of 20+

C+ - Never heard of it.

C - I've used

C++ - I've used

C# - I've at least heard of (and since you're mentioning .NET in the same sentence, is possibly what you're referring to?)

I'd sort of agree with Penelope that most expats in IT here are either internal company transfers (like her), or are telecommuting back to a job in the west (like me).

There are very few local job vacancies in IT which actually state that they don't require Thai nationals. (simply because the work permit hassles are more than people want to put up with for new hires.) At least with company transfers, they're already certain of the persons capabilities before going through the hassles involved.

Edited by bkk_mike

Hi all,

I am a italian guy of 57 years. I am a It consultant with many years of experience in differerent sector as Oracle DBA, Unix systemist, many programming language and so on. I am about to decide to expatriate there in few weeks. For what i known in Thayland is not possible to a alien to get a job out that start a business. So i am thinking to start a little company and supply IT services by internet or designe and manifacture and export small computer device. I will be happy to hear what you all think about.

I think you are on the right track with that plan. Very similar to what I did & very rewarding in many ways.

Hi there,

My advice would be if you are not in the above areas then locating employment will be difficult.

Best Of luck,

DJ My

___ ______________________

Okay, so what is the salary range for JAVA or J2EE developer with 5 yrs experience. Also is there a demand for Cisco network engineers and whats their salary?

Hi there,

Best Of luck,

DJ My

Strange, I work in the IT industry as a project manager, and I have lots of experience of managing large development teams using technologies such as .net, java, etc, but I haven't noticed any huge demand for me, maybe i'm just crap :o

Hi there,

Best Of luck,

DJ My

___ ______________________

Okay, so what is the salary range for JAVA or J2EE developer with 5 yrs experience. Also is there a demand for Cisco network engineers and whats their salary?

Lots of these skills(J2EE) in the local thai population now. I know, because I see their CV's.

Internationally I have seen from 50 USD to 200 USD an hr for this skillset. Fortune 500 companies in the J2EE market place can charge out consultants at 350+ USD per hr.