When Do I Start My Extension Of Stay Process?

I arrive in Bangkok on Sept. 13th 2009 and plan on leaving end of May, 2010. Then come back to BKK before this visa expires, which is August 31, 2010. Does this visa give me another 12 months starting lets say, August 25, 2010 in Thailand? I assume I start the Extension Of Stay process sometime in 2011?

Yes, you will get another 12 months permission to stay from the date of re-entry into Thailand, as long as you re-enter before your visa expires. You can apply for extension of stay during the last 90 days of your permission to stay. Should you leave Thailand after 31 Aug 2010 you would need to obtain a re-entry permit from immigation (single entry 1000 baht, multi entry 3800 baht) before you travel to keep your permission to stay alive.

OP, from which consulate in the States did you get your visa? Or was it the Embassy in D.C.?

Previous posters have indicated that O-A visas issued in the U.S. were generally single entry.

It was the Houston consulate. The cost was $175. Processed in 1 day.

You may leave the country and return prior to VISA expiry, providing you do have a multiple entry permit (If not you can get a single reentry permit) prior to your departure.

You must apply for the retirement visa extension within 30 days prior to the date of expiry. If all is in order you should be able to get it same day and not have to reapply for 12 months.. Make sure you go to the Immigration office which covers the area where you live. You cannot go to just any office.

Also do not forget that you must report your address every 90 days. Some offices will tell you that the 90 days starts NEW automaticaly when you reenter the country, but others require you to report 90 days from last report, regardless of leaving the country. Check with your immigration 0ffice to be sure.

You may leave the country and return prior to VISA expiry, providing you do have a multiple entry permit (If not you can get a single reentry permit) prior to your departure.

If you have a valid multiple entry visa you do not need a re-entry permit. If you have an extension of stay you must have a re-entry permit before leaving to keep you extension valid.

You must apply for the retirement visa extension within 30 days prior to the date of expiry. If all is in order you should be able to get it same day and not have to reapply for 12 months.. Make sure you go to the Immigration office which covers the area where you live. You cannot go to just any office.

There is no such thing as a retirement visa extension. You can can get an extension of stay based upon retirement of a permit to stay from an entry using a non immigrant visa..

Also do not forget that you must report your address every 90 days. Some offices will tell you that the 90 days starts NEW automaticaly when you reenter the country, but others require you to report 90 days from last report, regardless of leaving the country. Check with your immigration 0ffice to be sure.

I have never heard of an immigration office not accepting an entry as the starting date for a 90 report. A 90 day report is to report that you are going to stay in the country more than 90 days.

Edited by ubonjoe