Motorbike Loss-power/gliding Unless Tank 40% + Full

mattcodes

A few days ago bought a motorbike (2nd hand) - Honda Click Automatic from the local Honda garage in Samui, apparently its done 4,000 km and about 1 half year old.

I noticed that unless I keep the fuel tank at 40%+ full then it will loss all it power (engine stays running) and then may splurt a little power and back to gliding again. I check to see if fuel is in there (incase fuel reading inaccurate) and it does seems to be good amount of fuel in there when this is happening.

I probably take it back later today unless there a quick fix? Hopefully not indicative of a bigger problem??

Just thought - many years ago I had a bike that kept cutting out on a partially full tank - I kept checking the fuel and off it would go again only to splutter to a halt a few minutes later. The answer? the air-vent of the filler cap was blocked causing a vacuum inthe tank which prevented gas from flowing out into the fuel line......maybe worth checking as its such a quick and cheap solution.

Just thought - many years ago I had a bike that kept cutting out on a partially full tank - I kept checking the fuel and off it would go again only to splutter to a halt a few minutes later. The answer? the air-vent of the filler cap was blocked causing a vacuum inthe tank which prevented gas from flowing out into the fuel line......maybe worth checking as its such a quick and cheap solution.

The air-vent of the filler cap??? What is that? I checked the cap for the fuel tank but it doesnt seem to have any vents by design.

It cut out tonight on 60% tank had to push it for half a mile, not great after a buffet and a beer or two, all gasoline places along the road shut, I was fearing a 5km walk with the dam_n thing, luckily it started again after half a mile I managed to cruise it at 40km back to my place.

Will take back tomorrow and see what they say. Will also get the fuel cleaner after whatever they do.

Thanks for tips.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, I've had the same happen as well.

Long time back in the UK, used to go out on the hot summer days, fuel and air in the tank would expand with the heat and force air out through the partially blocked vent. Try returning in the cooler evening and suffered fuel starvation.

Really infuriating until I found out the cause.