Is The Thai Fsi Course Available With Thai Script?

sanook2me

I have searched this forum (where i found a link to the fsi Thai course) and googled it but i cannot find the text to go with the audio files in Thai it is all karaoke English.

Does anyone know if the Thai script is available?

I have tried all courses lingauphone/rosetta/pimsleur/ and loads of other books etc.. but this one is my favourite but only for listening as i find reading the karaoke version pointless as i want to associate the Thai word with its meaning.

Thai FSI language course script for audio in Thai... where can i find it pretty please?

Hopefully someone will say yes and here is the link :)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know of anywhere this has been done.

Anything from FSI is in the public domain, of course, so this would be a good collaborative project if someone has the motivation to set that up.

Or maybe it's out there somewhere else, and I just don't know about it.

sanook2me - can you post a worrking link to the audio files please? (one that you actually used successfully).

I have tried downloading this from several links before (including the one on womenlearnthai.com and, I think, seasite) and only got a corrupted file.

Thanks

:)

sanook2me - can you post a worrking link to the audio files please? (one that you actually used successfully).

I have tried downloading this from several links before (including the one on womenlearnthai.com and, I think, seasite) and only got a corrupted file.

Thanks

http://www.fsi-language-courses.org/Content.php?page=Thai

This is the link and i just did a test on downloading lesson one which works fine MP3 on windows media player.

Down load the lessons under the Volume 1 student text link.... the top tape links are for tones etc..

Thanks

Odd, because I downloaded the whole thing posted at womenlearnthai.com and it's fine. Btw - there are two sites hosting FSI. One is a mirror site 'just in case'.

About the two sites hosting FSI courses:

www.fsi-language-courses.com was the first. The guy who started it "disappeared" (no one can contact him), so it's no longer updated, and materials newly digitized by site users can't be added.

www.fsi-language-courses.org was started to mirror the old site, but also to add new materials digitized since the old one disappeared. This should be considered the "main" site now, since it contains many new additions not on the original one. It was started by users from the old site, I believe.

Thanks Rikker. The last I heard, the original guy came back but now I see the mirror site has become the secure one. Someone has closed down that original forum so he must be around somewhere. Just not active?

The links you posted are the very same links on womenlearnthai.com (so I wonder what the glitches were?)

Thanks Rikker. The last I heard, the original guy came back but now I see the mirror site has become the secure one. Someone has closed down that original forum so he must be around somewhere. Just not active?

The links you posted are the very same links on womenlearnthai.com (so I wonder what the glitches were?)

The problem is not with your site Desi, but with FSI. What happens when you try to download the pdf text for volume 2?

With me, the file downloads as it should, and in 'Finder' (Mac terminology for the Windows Explorer for ordinary people), the file registers at 9.1MB. But, when I open it in the pdf reader all the pages are blank, just 400 odd pages of whiteness!! This is not the case with the text for vol 1, which is fine. Given that, I suspect it's not the pdf reader software- it justs seems to be as if all the text in the pdf file for vol 2 is 'invisible'. Could someone else try it and let me know if they see the same problem? If not, could someone send me their downloaded pdf text of vol 2 on a PM? The audio seems to download OK, but I have only opened one or two files to check so far.

Thanks in advance.

I just downloaded it no problem. I don't profess to know exactly what it going on... but (taking a guess) it could be the length of the file name. When I try and save a long file name in PhotoShop, I get a warning that it could cause problems. I'm not sure if it's the same here, but it wouldn't hurt to try a shorter file name.

Try this... http://womenlearnthai.com/downloads/FSI-Vlm2StudentTxt.pdf

I just downloaded it no problem. I don't profess to know exactly what it going on... but (taking a guess) it could be the length of the file name. When I try and save a long file name in PhotoShop, I get a warning that it could cause problems. I'm not sure if it's the same here, but it wouldn't hurt to try a shorter file name.

Try this... http://womenlearnthai.com/downloads/FSI-Vlm2StudentTxt.pdf

Thanks for trying...but i still just get a blank file of 400 pages...maybe it is something wrong with the pdf reader after all...let me search around my hard drive, I think i've got a copy of adobe pdf reader somewhere, see if i get the same problem. ...เฮอะ มันทำให้น่าเบื่อ...:)

Btw, I know it would be tedious, but if you continue to have problems opening it with the pdf software you have available, open and print in PhotoShop (I believe you can only open one page at a time). The files are all jpgs anyway.

Good luck :)

Edited by desi

Btw, I know it would be tedious, but if you continue to have problems opening it with the pdf software you have available, open and print in PhotoShop (I believe you can only open one page at a time). The files are all jpgs anyway.

Good luck :D

no idea about how to do that(!!!)...but problem solved - loads with Adobe Acrobat 5 (yeah...now you know how old my computer is :) )

Thanks for the tips 'n' links

Edited by SoftWater

Either drag the pdf file over your PhotoShop icon, or open the file within PhotoShop.

To open the file within PS: Open PS. Inside PS, look at the top left of your monitor. First is the Apple icon, then 'Photoshop', then next you'll see 'File'. Click on 'File' and a list will drop down. Scroll down and release on 'Open'. Then browse through your HD until you find the pdf file. Either double click on that file, or select it and click the 'Open' button.

A window will come up. You will then be asked to select one page at a time to open.

To Print: PS >> File >> print

You do not need to choose page set up. These files are American so I assume they are created for letter (?), but I've printed them out on A4 just fine.

Edited by desi

...problem solved - loads with Adobe Acrobat 5 (yeah...now you know how old my computer is :) )

Thanks for the tips 'n' links

Glad to see you've been able to open it :D

I'm wary of promising more than I can deliver (in terms of time commitment) here, but having (eventually) opened vol 2 of the FSI reader and scanned through the chapters I see the language is fairly basic. I am, in theory, quite taken with the idea of transcribing it. I think it would need at least three people to do it justice:

1. someone to do the basic transcribing (that's the bit I fancy)

2. someone to proof and check the work of 1. against the original

3. someone to put the raw thai transcript into a pleasing and useful document for the benefit of others.

I couldn't do 3; neither I nor my creaking computer are up to layout and design. Fairly early on, a decision would need to be made about whether to try to reproduce something that looked identical to the original FSI text with the Thai added to the phonetic (thus doubling the download size, but providing everything needed in one complete text) or producing a stand-alone text that supplemented the original (thus keeping the thai script version separate for those that aren't interested in it or for those who are ONLY interested in it, but losing the benefit of a complete learning resource in one package).

Any thoughts on any of this?

Edited by SoftWater

I had a similar idea because it's good typing practice. I printed most everything out, then got busy so stacked all the copies away in the spare room. Number 3 doesn't look like too much, but whoever is doing number 2 might want to arrange as they go.

a decision would need to be made about whether to try to reproduce something that looked identical to the original FSI text with the Thai added to the phonetic (thus doubling the download size, but providing everything needed in one complete text) or producing a stand-alone text that supplemented the original (thus keeping the thai script version separate for those that aren't interested in it or for those who are ONLY interested in it, but losing the benefit of a complete learning resource in one package).

From my experience of going through many different schools teaching Reading, they have all failed to teach me to apply the correct tone by recognition of the consonant class and application of the appropriate rule(s) (I can work it out slowly but not at reading speed), therefore, my vote would be for the Thai text alongside the transcript (even though I actually only really want/need the transcript's tone marker) to help me read the word aloud with the correct tone(s). I assume there may be many others with the same tone recognition problems, and of course those learning alone would also benefit from seeing both together. As you said, it would provide "the benefit of a complete learning resource in one package".

If you get the 3 (or more) volunteers an complete this then I am sure many people would be extremely thankful; I definately would.

Good luck.

a decision would need to be made about whether to try to reproduce something that looked identical to the original FSI text with the Thai added to the phonetic (thus doubling the download size, but providing everything needed in one complete text) or producing a stand-alone text that supplemented the original (thus keeping the thai script version separate for those that aren't interested in it or for those who are ONLY interested in it, but losing the benefit of a complete learning resource in one package).

From my experience of going through many different schools teaching Reading, they have all failed to teach me to apply the correct tone by recognition of the consonant class and application of the appropriate rule(s) (I can work it out slowly but not at reading speed), therefore, my vote would be for the Thai text alongside the transcript (even though I actually only really want/need the transcript's tone marker) to help me read the word aloud with the correct tone(s). I assume there may be many others with the same tone recognition problems, and of course those learning alone would also benefit from seeing both together. As you said, it would provide "the benefit of a complete learning resource in one package".

If you get the 3 (or more) volunteers an complete this then I am sure many people would be extremely thankful; I definately would.

Good luck.

Have you tried Smyth's 'Teach Yourself Thai'? This is the one that cracked tone for me. I'd failed to really get my head round it from a couple of previous attempts with other materials, but after putting in some concentrated study (not more than a couple of weeks) with Smyth, I never even think of the rule anymore; I just 'see' the tone automatically when I read the word.

(Of all the many things that I am bad at with Thai, the one that I feel good about is that, almost like a native, when I read I know the tone of a word without consciously knowing what class the consonant is and if you asked me I'd probably have to stop and think about it. that skill I attribute directly to Smyth, because before his book, I was hopeless at it and figured I always would be.)

Oh, I should add that just because I know the tone of a word when I read, it doesn't mean when I try to speak that word that it sounds anything like what it should!! :)

Edited by SoftWater

I'll definitely help, but I don't know if I can do any one role all by myself. I'd like to help with some of the typing and proofreading.

Then I'm ok to putting it all together for output (making 'pretty').

As for transliteration, if it's to be used, which one will be chosen?

Have you tried Smyth's 'Teach Yourself Thai'? This is the one that cracked tone for me. I'd failed to really get my head round it from a couple of previous attempts with other materials, but after putting in some concentrated study (not more than a couple of weeks) with Smyth, I never even think of the rule anymore; I just 'see' the tone automatically when I read the word.

That's good to know about Smyth. I've read other similar compliments with 'Teach Yourself Thai'.

I'll definitely help, but I don't know if I can do any one role all by myself. I'd like to help with some of the typing and proofreading.

Then I'm ok to putting it all together for output (making 'pretty').

As for transliteration, if it's to be used, which one will be chosen?

I'm a bit confused...FSI text already has a phonetic tranlisteration. I was just talking about adding the Thai script. Did I miss something here?

Will give it a try, thanks.

I'm a bit confused...FSI text already has a phonetic tranlisteration. I was just talking about adding the Thai script. Did I miss something here?

You have this...

Fairly early on, a decision would need to be made about whether to try to reproduce something that looked identical to the original FSI text with the Thai added to the phonetic (thus doubling the download size, but providing everything needed in one complete text) or producing a stand-alone text that supplemented the original (thus keeping the thai script version separate for those that aren't interested in it or for those who are ONLY interested in it, but losing the benefit of a complete learning resource in one package).

And you are correct, a decision has not been made.

And while FSI does have a transliteration style, if we do opt to redo the whole set it's just easier to use thai2english.com. Paste in the Thai words, thai2english.com spits out the transliteration at the other end. Someone will have to double check the tones are they are not always correct. OR we could just put a note at the beginning that the tone markers are only there as a crutch but not perfect...

You have this...

Fairly early on, a decision would need to be made about whether to try to reproduce something that looked identical to the original FSI text with the Thai added to the phonetic (thus doubling the download size, but providing everything needed in one complete text) or producing a stand-alone text that supplemented the original (thus keeping the thai script version separate for those that aren't interested in it or for those who are ONLY interested in it, but losing the benefit of a complete learning resource in one package).

And you are correct, a decision has not been made.

And while FSI does have a transliteration style, if we do opt to redo the whole set it's just easier to use thai2english.com. Paste in the Thai words, thai2english.com spits out the transliteration at the other end. Someone will have to double check the tones are they are not always correct. OR we could just put a note at the beginning that the tone markers are only there as a crutch but not perfect...

Sorry Desi, I'm still not sure how you got to this. All I was suggesting above is whether to add Thai script to the natural English and the phonetic transliteration presently used in FSI, or whether to make a 'supplementary' text that just had the English and the Thai script.

Of course, there might be other possibilities such as adding the Thai script and changing the transliteration scheme, but personally I'm not interested in going down that road.

Edited by SoftWater

Sorry Desi, I'm still not sure how you got to this. All I was suggesting above is whether to add Thai script to the natural English and the phonetic transliteration presently used in FSI, or whether to make a 'supplementary' text that just had the English and the Thai script.

Of course, there might be other possibilities such as adding the Thai script and changing the transliteration scheme, but personally I'm not interested in going down that road.

To keep it simple: the transliteration issue...

"and the phonetic transliteration presently used in FSI"

The point I'm making is this... To reproduce the transliteration used in FSI, you would have to retype letter by letter, tone symbol by tone symbol (do you know where the tone symbols are on your keyboard? They are a pain).

To use thai2english.com, you paste in the Thai script and out comes the transliteration, already typed. That's all I was saying.

As for adding transliteration at all, I don't care one way or the other.

Sorry Desi, I'm still not sure how you got to this.

Note: I'm having a hard time waking up this morning, so if I've got it wrong... apologies... :)

It hadn't occurred to me that the FSI phonetics would all have to be keyed in from scratch. In my technological ignorance I just sort of assumed it could somehow be cut and pasted, and then it would be a simple job to add the Thai script to it. Hence, I was sort of confused why you would bring up the transliteration issue. After re-reading your post I do realise now that it probably wouldn't be as simple as that, so you have a valid point.

Not sure what the best answer is, in that case - it looks as though it would be far simpler (i.e., less time-consuming) just to produce a 'thai script' supplement to the original.

I think to start we should just type out the Thai. Digitizing the entire text (the English text + Thai phonetics) is much more work. If we got that step done, at least it could be used as a side-by-side supplement to the FSI text. Do the truly necessary part first, I say. Then worry about the rest only after that's done.