Crackdown Fails To Stop Suvarnabhumi Airport Gangs

george

Crackdown fails to stop airport gangs

ILLEGAL OPERATORS DEFY AUTHORITIES

BANGKOK: -- Despite the government's recent campaign to keep the international gateway to Thailand clear of thugs and cheats, it seems to be business as usual for illegal taxi operators and tour guides at Suvarnabhumi airport.

The Airports of Thailand (AoT) Plc recently reported to the cabinet that more than 600 people had been caught at the airport in the past two months for various offences.

In the past two months, 395 unlicensed taxi drivers and 210 illegal tour guides who exploited travellers at Suvarnabhumi airport have been arrested after a campaign was launched to crack down on crime at the airport, the AoT reported to cabinet last week.

However, airport authorities with a trained eye still see unauthorised taxi operators and tour guides preying on victims, but claim they get intimidated when they approach these people, who then claim they have connections in high places.

"Often these people claim they know AoT executives to scare away authorities and keep their businesses going. Some just say bluntly that they need money to pass on to their bosses, which is understood to mean AoT executives," said one inside source.

The source added that there are more than 20 powerful groups operating in the airport which come under the command of major gangs - Kamnan Samruay, Boonruang Srisang, Sak Pakphanang and Pirap.

The Kamnan Samruay camp used to operate at Don Mueang airport, where they provided underground foreign exchange services.

At the new airport, the gang has extended its business to cover ticketing and illegal taxi and tour guide services. It also collects "protection fees" from smaller gangs.

The Boonruang Srisang gang also runs an illegal taxi and tour guide service network. It has a small number of members and is independent.

The Sak Pakphanang gang is a break-away from the Boonruang Srisang gang, while the Pirap group is believed to have strong connections as its leader has the same last name as an AoT executive.

There are also two prominent groups known as the Pattaya Mafia gang and the Phuyai Daeng gang. The Pattaya Mafia gang, whose leaders are known as Steve and Montri and who are neatly dressed and can easily pass as passengers, is stationed on the fourth floor of the passenger terminal. The Phuyai Daeng gang, with good connections with influential figures in Samut Prakan, works more like a lobbyist for fraudsters who want to gain entry to the airport.

According to the source, unauthorised tour guides are engaged in various scams ranging from providing transportation and accommodation to selling air tickets. "Some even 'steal' the tourists from the TAT [Tourism Authority of Thailand] information counter. They feed the tourists information and then press on with hard sales," said the source.

The illegal tour guides hang around the arrivals hall and approach foreign passengers. They introduce themselves as airport workers and lead tourists to illegal taxi queues when a deal is made."They are scattered on every floor in the terminal and stay among passengers and officials. It is hard to pick them out from the crowd because they are well dressed," the source said, adding the gangs have carved the airport into zones.

AoT president Serirat Prasutanond conceded that there are some criminal gangs operating in the airport, but said the AoT has stepped up efforts to crack down on unlicensed taxi drivers and tour guides.

One measure has been to transfer some officials who were thought to be involved with the gangs. A reshuffle of officials will be made this month, he said. Mr Serirat said the AoT will spend 15 million baht starting on Oct 1 to try and end the illegal operations.

* This article is the first in a series on irregularities at Suvarnabhumi airport.

postlogo.jpg

-- Bangkok Post 2009-09-06

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are also two prominent groups known as the Pattaya Mafia gang and the Phuyai Daeng gang. The Pattaya Mafia gang, whose leaders are known as Steve and Montri and who are neatly dressed and can easily pass as passengers, is stationed on the fourth floor of the passenger terminal. The Phuyai Daeng gang, with good connections with influential figures in Samut Prakan, works more like a lobbyist for fraudsters who want to gain entry to the airport.

That's like in the Wild Wild West.... and it seems to be the problem to "negotiate conditions" for a not-losing-face-withdrawal which satisfies every gang and authority involved!

Public executions would prove remarkably effective so lets have a few beheadings on the roof of the car park !

But seriously all that is really required is sufficient determination on the part of the authorities. Who is in charge of that airport, AOT or the gangs ? If AOT cannot do any better perhaps they should just move out and let the gangs officially run the airport.

however, airport authorities with a trained eye still see unauthorised taxi operators and tour guides preying on victims, but claim they get intimidated when they approach these people, who then claim they have connections in high places.

I am beginning to like that comment. :)

It's kind of funny some of these smaller groups are calling themselves "mafia" when the worst offenses they commit are unauthorized taxi services and trying to sell tourists useless crap. Im not saying airport officials shouldn't try and stop them (I don't think they can, but thats beside the point) but I just think there worse people out there they may want to focus their attention on...

so these fraudulent operators aren't pulling out to save face, this doesn't do much for the reputation of the Prime Minister. If he can't control a bunch of lowlifes at the airport what chance has he got when he makes real decisions that require something to change.

It's kind of funny some of these smaller groups are calling themselves "mafia" when the worst offenses they commit are unauthorized taxi services and trying to sell tourists useless crap. Im not saying airport officials shouldn't try and stop them (I don't think they can, but thats beside the point) but I just think there worse people out there they may want to focus their attention on...

If the powers-that-be can't even clean up unauthorized taxi drivers and tour touts, how effective do you think they're gonna be going up against "worse people"?

What's the latest on the King Power gang?

King Power have a signed contract with AoT

The "Mafia Gangs" forgot to do the paperwork first.

Passed through the other day, and noticed that most people have read their (home) Government Warnings, as there were more staff than customers. If fact I did not see any customers in most their shops

When I was last at Suvarnabhumi in June, on my way to Udon a guy approached me after being turned away from Air Asia for missing the check in time by 5 minutes (woops, 1 too many beers at the bar the night before and slept in).

He had what appeared to be a legitimate TAT ID Card, which he showed me. He claimed to be a tourist transport assistant and offered to help me rebook another flight. I guess he took me for fresh meat, and I probably appeared so as I still felt a bit tipsy.

He quoted me a price of 3500thb for a ticket to Udon, which I knew was rubbish. Pretty impressive though, he communicated (in English) to someone via RT (Radio, for those of you not in the business of using the walky talkies) who quoted the price, apparently from the Thai Airways desk. He told me he would take cash and arrange for the ticket for me.

I told him I would go and check other prices, and meet him in 10 minutes if I did not find a cheaper price. Went straight to the Thai Counter near the oversize baggage collection and booked for 1200b...

Surely the state of the art airport has cameras and we all know has ample security to kick out taxis not willing to pay to sit in the rank, so could there not be someone monitoring people walking around the airport dealing with large numbers of foreigners for hours on end? I work in surveillance and know for a fact that this type of activity is extremely easy to pick up (same people, same behaviour, day after day)and stop (trespassing these same people from the entrance doors inwards and putting their faces on a board on the wall).

It seems they did not try very hard on their crack down. Does TAT not understand that once a farang gets scammed in a country, they never usually return unless they have a very good reason? I will never return to Malaysia for that reason - the scamming is on a much bigger and more agressive level than in LOS.

Edited by TheGhostWithin

In the past two months, 395 unlicensed taxi drivers and 210 illegal tour guides who exploited travellers at Suvarnabhumi airport have been arrested after a campaign was launched to crack down on crime at the airport, the AoT reported to cabinet last week.

Just the small fry get caught. For the big bosses it is 'business as usual'.

It is not unheard of for these gangs to be involved in the fleecing of tourists before they reach their destination. Armed robberies of tourists happen also. Accepting a ride from an illegal taxi can lead to much much worse than losing a few hundred extra baht on the trip.

* This article is the first in a series on irregularities at Suvarnabhumi airport.

I can't wait to see what's coming next. King Power? Yellow Shirts? LOL!

If you get all the Criminal element out of the Int.Airport it will be half empty LOL.

/ comment by: Webfact

Please note this forum rule

6) Not to post comments that could be reasonably construed as defamation or libel.

Edited by webfact
comment deleted

Public executions would prove remarkably effective so lets have a few beheadings on the roof of the car park !

Beat me to it.

Sometimes it's akin to a bunch of kids in charge of a banana republic... leave me alone or I'll tell so and so, don't tell or so and so (who is as bent as a nine bob note) will lose face.

"One measure has been to transfer some officials who were thought to be involved with the gangs. A reshuffle of officials will be made this month, he said."

Never mind the reshuffle, look at how places like Singapore would deal with this, get in there hard n fast and bang some heads. The world is watching. :)

But seriously all that is really required is sufficient determination on the part of the authorities. Who is in charge of that airport, AOT or the gangs ? If AOT cannot do any better perhaps they should just move out and let the gangs officially run the airport.

i cant believe fraud isits such on a large scale here. why cant people earn a living normally without having to resort to ripping people off for a living?

Edited by webfact
flame deleted

so these fraudulent operators aren't pulling out to save face, this doesn't do much for the reputation of the Prime Minister. If he can't control a bunch of lowlifes at the airport what chance has he got when he makes real decisions that require something to change.
:):D:D:D

The corruption starts at the top and to try to clean up anything is simply a lost cause. In my opinion, the corruption is getting even worse and the police are openly corrupt. At one time they tried to hide it.

The Phuyai gang are under the Kamnan Samruay camp. The Kamnan Samruay are basically the group that watches over a village and good if you have business 'problems' that you need resolved.

Honestly, there should be signage that says not to believe anyone walking around inside of the airport. I always walk outside to the taxi stand in BKK. Have never had a problem getting a real taxi.

Or for a few good laughs, you can always point at the guides and in a loud voice say, " guide pee!"

They are known as ghost guides. :)

One measure has been to transfer some officials who were thought to be involved with the gangs. A reshuffle of officials will be made this month, he said. Mr Serirat said the AoT will spend 15 million baht starting on Oct 1 to try and end the illegal operations.

This makes me laugh !

Instead of firing rotten apples like they deserve, they get transferred to another position,.. where they will most likely find a similar way to fill their greedy pockets ! :)

totster :D

This is another case where you notice immediately the difference between the strong arm of Thaksin, who would have sacked immediately the authorities involved, replaced the police or would have declared some kind of war on thugs and the slowly slowly approach of the democrats. Chuan was already known for his lack of doing something and his strengths were not to upset anyone, especially not his kingmaker Sanan. Now you have another PM without power, who has to maneuver very slowly and carefully. After all the people in power in the airport belong to the elite, the elite are the people keeping this government in power. Therefore the most simple things link sacking AOT bosses and top police will not work. This government is a disaster for the country.