Purchasing a computer in bangkok

FATBOYTHAI

I am looking to purchase a computer, monitor and printer in Bangkok in December when I return to BKK from the US. I understand that bringing my PC with me is prohibitively expensive as to tax and duty.

Don't want to break the bank. Need to get something that the fiance's daughters can do home work with, surf the net at 56k, standard Microsoft Office package, fairly good processing speed .

Any ideas, suggestions, price ranges, places to shop, places to avoid ? Any good I-Net providers? Broadband? Monthly costs? Any information that anyone can provide will be greatly appreciated. Will be in Muang Thong Thani, if that makes a difference for I-Net provider. Thanks to all who care to respond.

if i were you, generally, computers are still much cheaper in the states than thailand.  if you have now and buy a notebook, you can just bring it over no problem.  no duty, tax, etc.  as long as it is out of the box.  every businessman brings along his notebook to thailand so you can too.

if you are talking about a desktop...these are more bulky and hense visible so might attract customs attention.  these are very cheap in thailand (thai made ones) and can be made at the computer supercenters of pantip plaza or seacon center of fortune center IT malls.  

if you will buy a desktop here, hp/compaq is the main name brand available.  available, again, at the places named above.

Thanks to those who replied. Sounds cheaper than I imagined. On a non related topic, anybody been to Surin for the elephant roundup? The fiance is from there and wants very much to show me elephants. Any experiences? As I understand her we will be going to her village during the trip to the northeast.

About computers:  I brought a laptop with me from US, because not only are the prices cheaper there, but the technology, in terms of processors and video cards especially,  is 6 months to a year ahead of Thailand.   That being said, I am a LAN game junkie, as is my girlfriend.  So I bought/built two gaming PC's (fast, lots of ram, good sound and video cards, nice flattron monitors) at Pantip.  After buying computer desks and a few accessories, I spent about $1000-1100 total on this.  So buying cheap, good PC's over here is definately possible.  If you want one just for daughters homework and internet surfing, you should be able to find them much cheaper, like around $300 - $400.  

As far as Surin, I went last year for the first time.  I originally planned to make a whole weekend out of it, but ended up just going overnight, which was fine.  Lots of tourists, and the prices jacked up for the tourists, and the weather was incredibly hot hot hot.  But where else you gonna see 300 elephants all in the same place?  If you decide to go, make sure your wife books tickets at Mo Chit 2 bus station very early, as all the buses leaving from Bangkok will sell out much before the festival weekend.  Otherwise you'll have to hire a taxi or van to take you, and that gets more expensive.  Same deal for accomodations, book early or you could be paying big bahts.  

From what I remember of the festival, it was cool.. but lasts about 2 hours too long.  Once you've seen elephants play basketball, run relay races, and football, you'll find some of the similar tricks pretty boring.  Also the seating is pretty uncomfortable even in the most expensive sections.  Glad I did it, saw it, but probably wouldn't do it again.