Changes "back In The Uk".also How Thailand And The Uk Compare.

BlueSmurf

Well I did it, I have gone back to the Uk with my wife and my son of 5 years albeit for only 3 months. This extended trip was organised to keep a close bond between my 2 sons by my previous marriage they are 21 and 23(previous life)and my son with my thai wife.The bond is strong as my 2 sons have been over approx 9 times.My mother who is 80 has now seen her newest grandson for the first time.Worth every penny of the airline tickets for that moment alone.

Anyway we have been here for approx 3 weeks.The most striking change I have seen is the cost of cloths.Now in the UK you can buy quality cloths for lower prices than in Thailand which I would not have believed untill I saw it myself. ASDA's for example they have a range of clothing branded "George".We bought some very nice jeans for my boy for only 2 pounds thats 100 baht! Yes we have bought jeans for him in Thailand at a cheap market for around that but not of that high quality.Shoes as well 5 pounds excellent quality.So something is going the right way in so called "Broken Briatain"! i must also point out that they were not sale prices but normal regular prices.We were able to buy Polo Shirts for him for only 75 pencethats 40 baht.. I myself bought 2 light weight jumpers for only 10 pounds which I will be happy to wear in the cold season up north when we come back in November.

We have now found many places that sell this quality at low prices.Its good to be able to walk into the shops here and buy everything I want rather than have to get someone to bring it over when on a visit but now I sound like I want to stay here but thats not the case.

Electrical goods TV's, camera's,kitchen products even some phones are all cheaper here too! Computers are very good value which seems not to make sence as they are virtually all imported with our weak pound...

Now the the other visual or oral difference bearing in mind I come from the west country and a country boy at heart is the amazing variety of languages I hear while out shopping. These people are not tourists but now it seems British citezens.No I'am not racist or anti immigrant but pointing out the difference between now and 7 years ago..A big change.

The Uk seems compared to Thailand devoid of colour where people are concerned but now I realise why, the winter is nearly here summer is a distant memory and its Bloody Cold! So no short skirts and pretty blouses...Give me warm colourful Thailand anytime.

We are spending more on food but there are some bargains to be had such as meat.Fish is way too expensive so thats off the menu.

Cars are really cheap to buy.I'am talking about secondhand.How second hand cars in Thailand command such a high price i will never know.Fuel is expensive over twice the price per litre than in Thailand. Funny I never realised before moving to Thailand how good we are at driving and how curtious we are.Yes we let people out at junctions and put our hand up to say thanks and pull out from junctions on the correct side!..Thailands drivers not worth a mention in the same breath I'am sorry to say. How clean the air is here too, not a single smokey exhaust in sight.

My boy is attending school here and he loves it.So thats a big plus.maybe the schools in Thailand do their best but the school system here is one to be proud of. No spotted dick on the menu but he is saying for school dinners and looking at the menu its good.

Its been really cold here 15 degrees and windy but today the sun is shinning and its lovely a nice change. I could still not unless I had to come back for ever but who knows what will happen in the future and i could if needs must or it was best for my son.

The high streets here are full of charity shops which are a sign of the times..the supermarkets have got bigger now all seem to be known as "Super Stores". Not if any local shops left only the odd market.This is a big change although we have been warned if we did'nt use our local shops they would go and they have.Lets hope Thailand is aware and keeps letting people open shop at their garden gate and keep the money in local economys. keep the "Super Stores" at bay.

Well only a few observations and if anyone else has any to add feel free.We have about 2 months left on our stay here and I must say knowing I have my ticket back to LOS I will enjoy my stay.

regards Dave

The most striking change I have seen is the cost of cloths.Now in the UK you can buy quality cloths for lower prices than in Thailand which I would not have believed untill I saw it myself.

It's been like this for years. I went to buy a cheap lightweight holdall in Bangkok and the price they wanted was more than double what I could get it for in the UK. I told her they cost much less in England and it was like hitting a brick wall of solid and impenetrable ignorance, she just said 'England very expensive, Thailand very cheap' all while trying to rip me off, she wouldn't budge on the price either.

The recession has got the big supermarkets really competing on price. People are more price conscious then 4 or 5 years ago.

Even with the low exchange rate its hard to see the difference (Thailand price v. UK price) between some items.

Also, its a good time to be buying Kids cloths with the 'Back 2 School' sales.

after 7 years in los and now back in blighty,im pleasently suprised at the price of food and clothes,and nice to find clothes to fit me,off course can not eat out like los, have to go home and cook everthing.but choice of food very varied,cars cheap paid 650 quid for a very low milage car only small engine but great for run around,10 pound a mth insurance same for tax,internet superb,7 pound a month telephone calls free at evening and weekends. cheap tarrif for electricty,not had bill yet, lots of goodies for oaps as well, free bus passes, free home insulation,dont see much of rip off britian around here,

The Uk seems compared to Thailand devoid of colour where people are concerned but now I realise why, the winter is nearly here summer is a distant memory and its Bloody Cold! So no short skirts and pretty blouses...Give me warm colourful Thailand anytime.

Don't know where you are but London and the SE have been excellent this week, 20C+. A nice bit of leg and shoulder can be seen in the parks at the moment. The real difference at the moment is that UK shops know how to respond to the recession far better than some Thai shops.

Be careful you dont all get labelled "Thailand Bashers" by those blinkered idiots who refuse to believe that anywhere else in the world other than the place they have chosen to live can be as good, or as cheap :)

Penkoprod

did cross my mind that, but as they say mia bin rai, and with having a pad, car, and other things in los, will be back im sure after a taste of the good old english winter.

I went home a year ago for a hol for the first time in about 9 years and there were 2 things that immediately struck me as very different.

The amount of Eastern European people was a bit of a shock. I come from Norwich and wandering around saw Polish shops, an aisle of Polish goods in the supermarket and loads of the staff in places like cafes etc were Eastern European. 9 years ago an aisle of Polish goods in a supermarket? A Polish shop? No way.

The amount of speed cameras. I couldn't believe it.

As mantioned the budget line of clothing in shops was a pleasant surprise.

I went back the year after the London bombings. Forget the price, food, weather (It was scorching that year). One of the bombers came from the village I was raised in in Dewsbury. The atmosphere was terrible, the village had voted in a BNP councillor. 2 friends voted for him, I pointed out how stupid they were considering the had gay siblings. I suggested they should read some history books. I was glad to get back here to what I consider home.

Be careful you dont all get labelled "Thailand Bashers" by those blinkered idiots who refuse to believe that anywhere else in the world other than the place they have chosen to live can be as good, or as cheap :)

Penkoprod

did cross my mind that, but as they say mia bin rai, and with having a pad, car, and other things in los, will be back im sure after a taste of the good old english winter.

The UK is slowly becoming a 3rd world nation full of immigrants from poor countries, its no wonder thousands of Brits are leaving every year.

I am one of those who left recently, but it had absolutely nothing to do with our immigration situation. As has been quoted on this thread in various places...you do bump into lots of Eastern Europeans working in the UK.

Best of luck to them - we voted to become part of Europe and we invited them to join the EU. If they come over, work and pay taxes, fair play to them. Now as to the lazy b*stards that are claiming benefits whilst out playing golf...now they are all 'British'... Shame they don't emigrate and reduce the country's social services burden.

After a trip to the uk some years ago with my wife, She insists on a full hand luggage bag and next to nothing in the main suitcase when we travel back to uk.

Reason clothes shopping at Tesco, Asda or T.J Hughes all to take back to thailand.

As for food shopping yes it is more expensive.

Good bargains can be had at the likes of Aldi or Lidl and very good quality.

As for fish i am very lucky in having a friend with a boat, (deep sea fishing is a fetish of mine) i would go out once a week with him. Restocking the fridge or freezer everytime with cod,mackerel and the last time a small shark.

Edited by cyb

sorry folks, but this is a Thailand forum. so we have to keep discussions on Thailand

you may title it as a comparison to Thailand, but I think we do see that it really is a discussion of things in the UK :)

have to close it.

cheers :D