Network File Sharing

Jared

Ive got a small network set up in my office. I have one main computer and a laptopn in my office and then another 5 computers all in another office. Its driving me nuts using a portable harddrive to share folders etc so Im trying to set up network sharing. All of the computers have windows XP 64 bit OP's and Ive been following the instructions from the following website.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/n...tain/share.mspx

So Ive set up a folder to be shared on my main computer but when I go to one of the other computers and follow the instructions the files dont seem to be there? Do we have any experts here who can help me correct my mistake?

Thanks

Jared

Yeah Im sure ive followed it correctly, the file logo changes so that it has the hand on it which means its now a sharing folder.

The problem I have is that I cant seem to find it on the other computers.

Maybe there is something wrong with my network

What do you mean when you say the files do not seem to be there ?

For your purposes it would probably be best to set up a basic Workgroup (making sure that all computers are part of the same Workgroup - give them all a name to easily identify them.....all done via right-clicking on My Computer, selecting 'Properties' and then select the 'Computer Name' tab).

Once done check that all of the computers can be seen from each other. Open Windows Explorer, expand My Network Places, expand Entire Network, then expand Microsoft Windows Network).

Selecting any of the computers thus shown will display the shared folders/drives/devices on that particular machine.

You can also map local drive letters to any shared folder on another machine via Windows Explorer by selecting Tools, Map Network Drive and then hit the Browse... button and navigate to the desired folder on the desired machine by drilling down through My Network Places, Entire Network, etc.

check box that says " allow network users to change my files- click APPLY BAM your done

Not a good idea for two reasons: 1 - anyone can delete files whether allowed to or not, 2 - that is a very nice mechanism for viruses to propagate from computer to computer. If sharing and wish to have write access then disable simple file sharing so that a password is required.

As mentioned, be sure all computers have the same WORKGROUP name and each have a unique Computer Name assigned to it.

Hi

Im too tired atm to write a super easy reply so please bear with me :D

check for firewalls, privacy apps, Anti-virus with over protective settings that could cause ya greif.

make sure all computers are part of the same workgroup and subnet mask ip range etc

to confirm access to other computers on the network you can try a quick n easy ping sets as follows a. Windows key and 'R' type in cmd then press enter. b. type ping (insert computer name or its ip address eg. 192.168.1.10 ) c. if that gives 4 results of sub 30ms all is good.

make sure each machine has file sharing enabled, easiest way is to share something on each computer.

if you have differing OS then that may be causing issues, I aint getting into that one :)

for just getting it working use simple file sharing then go to an advanced mode after for more security.

sorry if i have repeated anything anyone else has said, Hope that helps

cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, its definately a firewall problem

All of the 5 machines in the staffs office can access the network but for some reason i can not.

We all have AVG anti-virus plus firewall installed yet the only was I can access the network is if I switch off my AVG fire wall.

The other computers are fine so i dont understand it. Does anyone know how I can adjust my AVG settings to allow me to view my network connections?

Thanks guys