Kilometer Posts Hwy 32/1

Boksida

For years the number on the face of kilometer posts on major highways has shown the distance to Bangkok. Over the last year or so, all the numbers on the main highway from Bangkok to Chiangmai and Chiangrai are being changed to show a distance 104 km. higher. There remains some confusion on the stretch from Wang Noi to Nakhon Sawan where some of the distances are measured from Wang Noi, so for a while there have been three different systems on the same highway.

Does anybody know where the new distance refers to? Are there any changes on the Friendship Highway? I have not been on that for a while.

For years the number on the face of kilometer posts on major highways has shown the distance to Bangkok. Over the last year or so, all the numbers on the main highway from Bangkok to Chiangmai and Chiangrai are being changed to show a distance 104 km. higher. There remains some confusion on the stretch from Wang Noi to Nakhon Sawan where some of the distances are measured from Wang Noi, so for a while there have been three different systems on the same highway.

Does anybody know where the new distance refers to? Are there any changes on the Friendship Highway? I have not been on that for a while.

Doing that elsewhere, too. For example, Hwy 2 now starts at 0 Km at Saraburi. Thus need to subtract about 108 km from your memory when heading to the NE. Don't know how far this has reached as haven't been past Pak Chong for several months.

Mac

Doing that elsewhere, too. For example, Hwy 2 now starts at 0 Km at Saraburi. Thus need to subtract about 108 km from your memory when heading to the NE. Don't know how far this has reached as haven't been past Pak Chong for several months.

Mac

I liked the old system better but I suppose measuring Hwy 2 from Saraburi does make some kind of sense. I still can't figure out Hwy 32/1/11 though, Chiangmai used to be roughly 700km from Bangkok and now it will be 804km from somewhere else. Has Pattaya become the centre of our universe?

Is Hwy 4 also being changed?

I think that is due to the route one going off to the right at Uthai Thani down to Muang Chai Nat and then coming back across to Takli then Tak Fa then heading south through Lop Buri Sara Buri, Nong Khae and Wang Noi and meeting ther route 32 from Uthai Thani at the Kanchanapisek junction (where you take the eastern or western bypass) and it becomes the Phahol Yothin road. :D

So the numbers are pretty much correct IF you stay on the route 1 but if like everybody else you drive straight down past Nakhon Sawan and Ayutthaya on the route 32 which is the quick way then the kilometre numbers don't add up.

At least that is what my GPS (Rottweiler) map tells me. :D:)

Instead of being the most direct route they have measured each highway.