Nsr 150

Powerband

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So how do you speak to him then?....Spanish?...and you just happen to know all the details?

I can speak some Thai, and I looked thru the green books to verify year etc. I only metioned them to maybe help someone that was looking. Im not in the bike sales game. I was considering buying one myself.

I have a 1997 NSR that I have finished rebuilding mechanically. The body work is in sad shape though. Does anyone have a source for new body work? Preferably somewhere near Ubon if possible. Although I do get to Bangkok at times if needed.

Thanks,

Tim

So what you guys saying is that a CBR is for pussies ?, and an NSR is the best ?

Would it be unkind to say they are both for pussies, but the NSR is high class pussy and the CBR is sewer rat? :)

ps. I've never ridden either one so I have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about! :D

Just was in a mood to stir up some trouble, some people defend the CBR all the time so i wanted to have some fun. But it did not happen.

Was just fooling around i have no experience with either bike and they are both not my cup of tea because i dont like the racing type bike.

I have a 1997 NSR that I have finished rebuilding mechanically. The body work is in sad shape though. Does anyone have a source for new body work? Preferably somewhere near Ubon if possible. Although I do get to Bangkok at times if needed.

Thanks,

Tim

Honda dealer

Thanks,

Tim

Honda dealer

Saw someone walking around Klong Tom market with an NSR fairing one time; it was not painted, so I guess you can get them there. If you get them from Honda they will be ready painted in one of the original schemes (assuming your bike has not been painted something non standard). By western standards getting them from Honda is cheap; by Thai standards its expensive! You can repair fairings, well to a point. Guess it depends on whether you think the bike is worth spending money on?

PS: The CBR is like a Wave 125 with 6 gears. Alright, its not quite like that but I thought I would say that to wind up the CBR owners :) They do sound quite similar.

Actually, I went to both Honda dealers in Ubon. They both said the same thing. The bike was too old and they could not get the parts I needed.

Tim

Thats sounds like someone is too lazy to order them for you. I have the parts book for the 1st NSR and the proarm (but in my house in Bangkok). I have been able to order pretty much anything in there, but have not tried fairings. I did have a discussion with the guy at the Honda dealer I use about fairings and he never said they could not be ordered; only said they were expensive. These are the things easily damaged so I would say you can order them. I'm out of country so can't really help you at the moment (won't be back until December).

The Thai mentality on bikes is not spend much and keep them going until its not economical. Then buy a new bike and repeat the same. Thus you would probably find Thais not wanting to keep the bike looking good if its going to cost money. I have the same mindset to be honest; why bother spending alot on an old bike? Just keep it going. Repairing the fairing is probably the way to go. Some people are enthuiasts and will buy new fairings and do the bike up to almost new standard (but that will cost alot of money).

PS: on my NSR mark 1 I did manage to get new fairings from a shop in Sapan Kwai; basically the bits either side of the headlight half way down the side of the bike. They were copies and the colour was slightly off. I think I paid 300 baht for each side (a couple of years ago). I never bothered trying to get the bottom bits of the fairing; I know it looks nicer but its easier to maintain the bike without taking them off all the time. Its an old bike anyway, so again not worth spending lots of money on. The original fairings were beyond repair, and you need them for the headlight, etc.

Someone else mentioned that sometimes Thais can't be bothered dealing foreigners; the 'don't have' response. Its one of the frustrations with living here. Basically they are too lazy to help you. I get this in Sapan Kwai now; guess too many farangs going who can't explain exactly what they want, etc.

Just was in a mood to stir up some trouble, some people defend the CBR all the time so i wanted to have some fun. But it did not happen.

Ah. Ok. All CBR150 owners are pussies. :)

So, an NSR owner must be the opposite, a dick :D

There is a bigger market for Pussies than Dicks. If you are looking for a younger more attractive model, currently there is no choice but to go for a pussy. Certainly less tempremental. Getting her started is also a hel_l of a lot easier, less maintainence and much sweeter smelling outlet.

i had an nsr 150 rr that i gave to my maid when i bought the nsr 250 which i still own.

i also have an NC 30.

having ridden both the cbr and nsr 150s, my impression is they are both much more commuter oriented in riding position than their larger brothers, especially the footpeg placement. the comparison holds true for the difference between a vfr 400 and a cbr 400. once i rode a bike with dual front discs, the 150's just felt scary.

the nsr has a remarkably sweet 2 stroke power curve, and must be driven differently as a result. if you crank the revs, dump the clutch and nail it, i find it very hard to believe a fino will pull away before you hit the powerband.

the nsr 250 is very similar, and a very forgiving bike for learners if driven at low revs, it changes radically when ridden hard.

if you dont mind buggering around with the rc valve, autolube system and oil soaked exhausts from older bikes ridden too rich, the nsr is great fun. even in 98-2000, it was hard to find a mechanic who could keep one well tuned, i imagine it is more difficult now.

they must be cheap like water now though.

i had an nsr 150 rr that i gave to my maid when i bought the nsr 250 which i still own.

i also have an NC 30.

having ridden both the cbr and nsr 150s, my impression is they are both much more commuter oriented in riding position than their larger brothers, especially the footpeg placement. the comparison holds true for the difference between a vfr 400 and a cbr 400. once i rode a bike with dual front discs, the 150's just felt scary.

the nsr has a remarkably sweet 2 stroke power curve, and must be driven differently as a result. if you crank the revs, dump the clutch and nail it, i find it very hard to believe a fino will pull away before you hit the powerband.

the nsr 250 is very similar, and a very forgiving bike for learners if driven at low revs, it changes radically when ridden hard.

if you dont mind buggering around with the rc valve, autolube system and oil soaked exhausts from older bikes ridden too rich, the nsr is great fun. even in 98-2000, it was hard to find a mechanic who could keep one well tuned, i imagine it is more difficult now.

they must be cheap like water now though.

The NSRs are not cheap...in fact going up in price. 150 goes from 10,000 to 40,000 depending on year and condition.

The 250.....I found one for sale a while ago.....80,000 Baht Good it may be, but not worth that for an old bike.

In fact in the USA the 250s go for US$3000 to 7000 Wow.

The NSRs are not cheap...in fact going up in price. 150 goes from 10,000 to 40,000 depending on year and condition.

The 250.....I found one for sale a while ago.....80,000 Baht Good it may be, but not worth that for an old bike.

It's difficult to imagine them being that expensive. The KRs with a green book are 4k up to 16k for a really nice one.

The 2 strokes are comingback into fashion, because anyone with half a brain knows they eat 4Ts for breakfast. If you look around Bkk you'll notice there's more nice looking Kr's Dash/Beats, NSR etc.

A CBR150 has less than 20hp, an old 2T 150 has around 30hp.

It's difficult to imagine them being that expensive. The KRs with a green book are 4k up to 16k for a really nice one.

The 2 strokes are comingback into fashion, because anyone with half a brain knows they eat 4Ts for breakfast. If you look around Bkk you'll notice there's more nice looking Kr's Dash/Beats, NSR etc.

A Thai friend of mine has a m/bike shop and seems to always have at least one NSR 150 for sale. (curently 3) He strips and rebuilds them so are mechanicly, and in looks, very tidy with new paint (original colours) new tyres etc where required.

Depending on year and what he needs do they sell for the figures I quoted above and seem to sell quite quickly.

I know of one for sale at 9000B but early model (18' wheels) and in need of restoration going for 9000.

My CBR 150 still sees off the 2Ts from a standing start, but sure.... gets overtaken at the top end. But the CBR 4T is considerably more economical, and more reliable over time. Remembering also that even the newest NSR are getting old and getting to be collectors items now.

A Thai friend of mine has a m/bike shop and seems to always have at least one NSR 150 for sale. (curently 3) He strips and rebuilds them so are mechanicly, and in looks, very tidy with new paint (original colours) new tyres etc where required.

Depending on year and what he needs do they sell for the figures I quoted above and seem to sell quite quickly.

I know of one for sale at 9000B but early model (18' wheels) and in need of restoration going for 9000.

I also know of a shop that asks 40K for a run down Nova Dash converted to a dirt bike, it's been there for years.

Looking on mocyc.com there's no shortage of NSRs for less than 9k. Has your friend been trying to sell you one? The one below is 25k.

1245390024.jpg

My CBR 150 still sees off the 2Ts from a standing start, but sure.... gets overtaken at the top end. But the CBR 4T is considerably more economical, and more reliable over time. Remembering also that even the newest NSR are getting old and getting to be collectors items now.

I'd be interested to know which 2Ts you CBR150 sees off, certainly not anything decent like a Nova Dash 125 or an NSR150, which has twice the power and weighs less.

Sure the CBRs are newer, more economical, more expensive and more reliable. They are decent bikes, but powerwise cannot compete with a 2T of similar size.

Edited by mixed

I'd be interested to know which 2Ts you CBR150 sees off, certainly not anything decent like a Nova Dash 125 or an NSR150, which has twice the power and weighs less.

Sure the CBRs are newer, more economical, more expensive and more reliable. They are decent bikes, but powerwise cannot compete with a 2T of similar size.

I agree with you about the extra power of the NSR150 etc. I was looking to buy one from my friend (he wasnt trying to sell to me) but it sold before I said yes. The extra power etc apealed to me but after a test drive I found that low end power was not as good as the CBR 150.....above 7000 sure streaks away. I also liked the bigger fairing as an advantage.

He seems to have a steady turn over of them, They dont sit in his shop for long.

There is a young Thai guy with a NSR 150 that often ends up at light stops with me on the way home from work. If we get a clean take off I am hitting 95 to 100 before he gets past me. The CBR is red lined at 11500 and I change up usually at 9000 so Im not screwing the bike. I dont know if his bike is in good nik or not/whatever, but I do know he hates me in front. I have had a few occasions of similar experiences with 2ts that scream past me once I get to 100 which is as fast as I like to go in peak hour traffic.

I used to ride a Bandit 400 and found that on initial take off the lighter 2Ts would be as quick of the mark, but wouldn't keep up after about 60kmh.

IMHO opinion, the fastest bikes in heavy traffic are the 125 Nova Dash, these are only 100kg and can weave in and out of cars. Besides the handling, the gearing is also set up for tight traffic.

The Dash's are also easier to repair than an NSR. They are more common so parts, new or second hand are cheap and easy to find. Apparently some of the parts from the top model NSR are made in Japan, so very difficult to find.

Edited by mixed

Words cannot describe the type of crappy as $hit bikes you will find for under 9k baht on that website. I went to look at 3 bikes and all of them were junk. Seeing something on the net and seeing it in person is a completely different story, this isn't mentioning the dodgy expired paperwork these bikes comes with also, an extra bonus! You get what you pay for.

I don't see any big difference in low end power between the NSR and CBR at all, if you are seeing a big difference it's do to the sprocket ratios being used. Or just simply rev up until you hit your target rpm and pop the clutch, and your off. In any case the power deficit your speaking of would only be felt in 1st gear, unless you are in too high a gear a common mistake.

A 15/35 geared NSR will not run. A 14/38 geared bike will stretch your wrist, and humiliate the CBR at all speeds.

Power is measured by HP x Torque, you cannot judge power by HP alone. Yet so many people say this or that bike has 'this' much HP but hardly ever any mention of torque.

Words cannot describe the type of crappy as $hit bikes you will find for under 9k baht on that website. I went to look at 3 bikes and all of them were junk. Seeing something on the net and seeing it in person is a completely different story, this isn't mentioning the dodgy expired paperwork these bikes comes with also, an extra bonus! You get what you pay for.

Of course you get what you pay for, but we're talking second hand so sometimes it's a bargain and others it's a rip off.

I posted the prices as an example of what could be bought. I'm sure there are NSRs in excellent condition for 25k, but doubt you will find them in a shop or from someone selling proffessionally on the web.

The thing with the old 2Ts is there's so many run down ones cheap that it's worth buying them as a second bike for parts alone. Thais are big on appearances, so prices for these old bikes is very much based on looks.

Edited by mixed

Got a link for that claim?  Because the dyno that Tyga has posted suggests that the NSR puts out less than 25 hp...regardless of what Honda would like to publish for their marketing.

150nsrdyno.jpg

Got a link for that claim? Because the dyno that Tyga has posted suggests that the NSR puts out less than 25 hp...regardless of what Honda would like to publish for their marketing.

150nsrdyno.jpg

There are links around the give the HP at about 38 for the NSR and also 24 for the LS 125 (same engine as the Dash).

Sure the companies specs are always optimistic, so are the figures for 'dry weight', the HP figure I got from the CBR are also from Honda. Mind you Tyga isn't exactly unbiased, trying claim a heap of extra HP and top speed to sell pipes.

It's a no brainer, compared to four strokes, two strokes have more power, more smoke are less reliable but easier to repair and lighter.

The main reason they're not made anymore is concern about emissions.

The old two strokes may be run down, but getting them back to top condition is easy and inexpensive, there are still plenty of cheap new parts around. The exception would be the top model NSR, as I understand some parts were made in Japan.

Tyga this Tyga that, Tyga isn't the only place that knows bikes, I've read a couple of things from that site that I don't agree with. Look at the graph above and you will see Tyga testing the pipe with a standard carburetor with NO rejetting. The bike is now running leaner than fark, and from looking at the curve the piston will blow a hole through it in a very short matter of time if ridden according to the above curve.

Dyno results can be horrendously skewed with the wrong sprocket ratios, of which Tyga doesn't list at all what was used for the dyno test. Dyno's also don't take into consideration, wind resistance.

Other than the bearings inside the engine, the only parts in a two stroke that go bad are the reed valves, piston/rings.

Compare that to the intake/exhaust valves, timing chain, shims, chain tensioner, oil squirter for raiders, and springs.

Both have cranks and carburetors and ignition parts, so we wont take those into consideration. Although if you want to, the NSR has a mechanical tachometer that runs off the same gear as the autolube system. Where as the CBR has an electrical tachometer which operates off the magnetic flywheel.

A two stroke is much easier to restore and can be done yourself.

Edited by Powerband

There are links around the give the HP at about 38 for the NSR and also 24 for the LS 125 (same engine as the Dash).

Sure the companies specs are always optimistic, so are the figures for 'dry weight', the HP figure I got from the CBR are also from Honda. Mind you Tyga isn't exactly unbiased, trying claim a heap of extra HP and top speed to sell pipes.

It's a no brainer, compared to four strokes, two strokes have more power, more smoke are less reliable but easier to repair and lighter.

The main reason they're not made anymore is concern about emissions.

The old two strokes may be run down, but getting them back to top condition is easy and inexpensive, there are still plenty of cheap new parts around. The exception would be the top model NSR, as I understand some parts were made in Japan.

Here's another link with the guy claiming 27 on a stocker.  And here's one that's claiming 26 PS.  

I'll agree that the 2T do produce more power at less economy and at a higher pollutants level.  Not even going to discuss the general condition you'll find most 2T bikes in, nor the increasing problems you'll have keeping them at that high performance level.  But for a 'fun' bike, you can't beat them.

Tyga this Tyga that, Tyga isn't the only place that knows bikes, I've read a couple of things from that site that I don't agree with. Look at the graph above and you will see Tyga testing the pipe with a standard carburetor with NO rejetting. The bike is now running leaner than fark, and from looking at the curve the piston will blow a hole through it in a very short matter of time if ridden according to the above curve.

Dyno results can be horrendously skewed with the wrong sprocket ratios, of which Tyga doesn't list at all what was used for the dyno test. Dyno's also don't take into consideration, wind resistance.

Other than the bearings inside the engine, the only parts in a two stroke that go bad are the reed valves, piston/rings.

Compare that to the intake/exhaust valves, timing chain, shims, chain tensioner, oil squirter for raiders, and springs.

Both have cranks and carburetors and ignition parts, so we wont take those into consideration. Although if you want to, the NSR has a mechanical tachometer that runs off the same gear as the autolube system. Where as the CBR has an electrical tachometer which operates off the magnetic flywheel.

A two stroke is much easier to restore and can be done yourself.

Ummh, how do you know that it's running lean?  Shimming the needles, an overly rich stock condition, etc makes that a bit presumptuous on your part.  Dynos are also able to modify the parameters so that if you have non-standard gearing it will account for that.

And since when does wind resistance factor into the engine's output?  It will affect your top speed.  Perhaps you're getting the cooling effect of the wind on the engine confused?

I know it's running lean because the dyno sheet says it's running a stock carburetor, but with the aftermarket pipe. Read it again. besides this it's common knowledge that when you change from the stock exhaust to a freer flowing type, it's going to run leaner, both 2 and 4 strokes alike. You should already know this, I know I do from burning holes in pistons in my younger stupider days.

That graph provided by Tyga is misleading on the basis that they have a cutoff speed of 69mph, thats 111kph.

But for the tyga pipe graph it list a cutoff speed of 80mph/128kph.

Ive taken my bike up to 160kph/99mph if you take speedo correction into consideration we'll say it's around 150kph/93 mph.

Anyone that has a NSR 150 knows it will exceed the speeds listed by Tyga in stock form, misleading on Tyga's part if you ask me.

It's presumptuous of you to assume stock bikes run overly rich. Are you a factory trained technician, bent on running lean to shorted the longevity of your bike?

You ride a CBR 150, I'm sure if there wasn't any wind resistance your bike would be able to produce the power on top a bit easier. I bet you love the way it takes 1 extra minute to hit 140kph after it reaches 120kph, thats the wind resistance holding you back and making it harder for your bike to produce the power.

I know it's running lean because the dyno sheet says it's running a stock carburetor, but with the aftermarket pipe. Read it again. besides this it's common knowledge that when you change from the stock exhaust to a freer flowing type, it's going to run leaner, both 2 and 4 strokes alike. You should already know this, I know I do from burning holes in pistons in my younger stupider days.

Yes it is going to run more lean.  I, and you, don't know if they (and I hate to repeat myself), shimmed the needles, installed different jets, etc. to that stock carb.  Regardless, how does them possibly running the piped bike lean affect the power output of the stocker?  Does running it 'lean' and getting bigger numbers mean that running it at the correct mixture will get you smaller numbers?

That graph provided by Tyga is misleading on the basis that they have a cutoff speed of 69mph, thats 111kph.

But for the tyga pipe graph it list a cutoff speed of 80mph/128kph.

It also starts off at a higher MPH....perhaps they did the test in a higher gear?  I don't know the NSR's gearing, but it seems plausible to me that the first, totally stock run, was ran in one gear lower than the second post-pipe change run.  Would definitely explain the reason that up until 51 mph-ish the stock bike put out more power (more than 3HP at 45 MPH).  Unless we're to assume that Tyga is super nefarious and disconnected the power-valve on the first run?

Ive taken my bike up to 160kph/99mph if you take speedo correction into consideration we'll say it's around 150kph/93 mph.Ok.

Anyone that has a NSR 150 knows it will exceed the speeds listed by Tyga in stock form, misleading on Tyga's part if you ask me.

You realise how long it would take for a stock, well anything, to get the full dyno numbers if you put it in top gear and did the run?  And how that added time would affect the temperature of the bike, giving a lower than actual reading?

None-the-less I agree with you.  Give us HP/torque on the y-axis and RPM on the x-axis.

It's presumptuous of you to assume stock bikes run overly rich. Are you a factory trained technician, bent on running lean to shorted the longevity of your bike?

Those last two statements are contradictory.  First you ask if I think the bikes are running rich; and then you ask if I think that the bikes are running lean.  Perhaps I mis-understand, but please explain that.

You ride a CBR 150, I'm sure if there wasn't any wind resistance your bike would be able to produce the power on top a bit easier. I bet you love the way it takes 1 extra minute to hit 140kph after it reaches 120kph, thats the wind resistance holding you back and making it harder for your bike to produce the power.

Sigh...the bike still produces the power, you're just concerned about the time it takes to deliver it.  Than yes, I love the way wind resistance adds time.  I also love the way that since I live just shy of 200 meters and do a lot of riding at that elevation and above the air charge is less dense.  And I love the fact that it's so warm in Thailand that the air charge is less dense.  and I love that it's so warm in Thailand that the thermal efficiency of the engine is affected.  And I love the fact that it's so warm in Thailand the tyres grip better and I lose a bit of power to rolling resistance.  And I love.....you see how worrying about wind resistance in knowing the power of the bike is kinda foolish?