So Im 19

paralyzeme89

Im Leaving Monday and coming back on the 15th of October unless i choose to extend my ticket or travel somewhere else afterward.

i am planning on just exploring and i don't know, seeing where life takes me.

I have a friend that lives over in Pattaya and i know a few people that live in Bangkok.

This will be my first trip outside of north America.

any advice?

oh im traveling by myself by the way, at 19 all of my friends are poor and i don't feel like bustin my ass so they can go on vacation:)

Have fun

Use you street smarts to stay out of trouble.

If the girl your talking to seems too beautiful and quite tall, she/he/it probably isn't a woman.

If she isn't a woman (so to speak) be very careful - ladyboys have a bad reputation (usually for good reasons).

And most importantly, DON'T EAT THE YELLOW SNOW! (Sorry, that was meant for visitors to Alaska - not Thailand)

Have fun

Use you street smarts to stay out of trouble.

If the girl your talking to seems too beautiful and quite tall, she/he/it probably isn't a woman.

If she isn't a woman (so to speak) be very careful - ladyboys have a bad reputation (usually for good reasons).

And most importantly, DON'T EAT THE YELLOW SNOW! (Sorry, that was meant for visitors to Alaska - not Thailand)

your pointer finger is supposed to be shorter then your ring finger if your a guy right?

:) hahah

Advice #1 - Any type of illegal drugs is a big NO NO, even as much as having in posession for a "friend"

Advice #2 - ALWAYS have rubber(s) within reach when in Pattaya :)

Advice #3 - Carry your passport at all times, a copy will do but the BIB will normally wants the original

Advice #4 - If you find a girl you like and she starts talking about meeting her parents after a couple of days - RUN!!!

Advice #5 - Avoid ANY contacts with ladies after your 6th beer, you might waking up regretting your whole life

Oh and yeah, have fun!

Explorer

Advice #1 - Any type of illegal drugs is a big NO NO, even as much as having in posession for a "friend"

Advice #2 - ALWAYS have rubber(s) within reach when in Pattaya :D

Advice #3 - Carry your passport at all times, a copy will do but the BIB will normally wants the original

Advice #4 - If you find a girl you like and she starts talking about meeting her parents after a couple of days - RUN!!!

Advice #5 - Avoid ANY contacts with ladies after your 6th beer, you might waking up regretting your whole life

Oh and yeah, have fun!

Explorer

hah

thanks.

will be sure to keep tip number 5 in mind :)

hey i got a question though, think i should bring my laptop?

i got an itouch for internet and stuff. not really sure i wanna risk it getting stolen

Im Leaving Monday and coming back on the 15th of October unless i choose to extend my ticket or travel somewhere else afterward.

I have a friend that lives over in Pattaya and i know a few people that live in Bangkok.

any advice?

oh im traveling by myself by the way, at 19 all of my friends are poor and i don't feel like bustin my ass so they can go on vacation:)

good luck buth pattaya its the worst place in Thailand lol have funn

any advice?

good luck buth pattaya its the worst place in Thailand lol have funn

well dude i don't plan on staying there for any real amount of time, im well aware of how sleezy that place can be, worth a day or 2 of exploring though.

Oh and yeah, have fun!

Explorer

hah

thanks.

i got an itouch for internet and stuff. not really sure i wanna risk it getting stolen

For the relatively short time you're going to be here, I wouldn't. Like you say, there's a chance of it being lost, stolen, or damaged, and as there are loads of cheap internet cafes around, those shuold suffice fine.

Also, tip #5 is very good and very important, but #4 may be one to heed even more. :D

And I can't believe that none of us have warned you against renting a jet ski (especuially in Phuket).

Read as much of this forum as you can before coming. Many long-term expats have added a plethora of valuable information here, and taking a lttle time to study up now could save you from both financial and emotional drain or even ruin. Many threads now exist about scams - the increase in their number, types, and how much people are being ripped off for seems to grow daily.

Saying all that, Thailand can be a great place and Thai people are generally friendly and honest, so don't let my or anyone elses warnings put you off. Just be sensible and you should be fine.

Oh and yeah, have fun!

Explorer

hah

thanks.

For the relatively short time you're going to be here, I wouldn't. Like you say, there's a chance of it being lost, stolen, or damaged, and as there are loads of cheap internet cafes around, those shuold suffice fine.

Also, tip #5 is very good and very important, but #4 may be one to heed even more. :D

And I can't believe that none of us have warned you against renting a jet ski (especuially in Phuket).

Read as much of this forum as you can before coming. Many long-term expats have added a plethora of valuable information here, and taking a lttle time to study up now could save you from both financial and emotional drain or even ruin. Many threads now exist about scams - the increase in their number, types, and how much people are being ripped off for seems to grow daily.

Saying all that, Thailand can be a great place and Thai people are generally friendly and honest, so don't let my or anyone elses warnings put you off. Just be sensible and you should be fine.

i've been reading allot about the scams and stuff, why shouldn't i rent a jetski in phuket?

sounds kinda fun :D

oh do you guys think its worth picking up a prepaid phone over there?

thanks for all the help so far everyone

Oh and yeah, have fun!

Explorer

hah

thanks.

i've been reading allot about the scams and stuff, why shouldn't i rent a jetski in phuket?

sounds kinda fun :D

oh do you guys think its worth picking up a prepaid phone over there?

thanks for all the help so far everyone

You obviously need to read some more.

19 years old and travelling here the first time., the best advice is to pack only what you need in a backpack, head to Koh San road, hook up with a bunch of backpackers and take it from there mate.

Most of the expats here are a cynical bunch, myself included. Hook up with some backpackers and do the island thing. A trip to Chaing Mai is also worth doing.

Don't use drugs, don't believe everything you hear and keep your wits about you and you will have a great holiday.

Edited by Geekfreaklover

Expect to pay 4000 Baht for your cab from the airport to your hotel, If the Cab driver insist to take you to a restaurant for dinner you should take up his offer as your still new and might get lost or mugged! Also tip the driver after your expensive meal :)

4k? No way! Take the bus to pattaya (200THB?) or share a cap with other travellers (500THB?)

Expect to pay 4000 Baht for your cab from the airport to your hotel, If the Cab driver insist to take you to a restaurant for dinner you should take up his offer as your still new and might get lost or mugged! Also tip the driver after your expensive meal :)

Somebody's taking the piss out of you. This is worst and most eronious advise you could possibly receive.

4000 baht is a ridiculously high price, but as I haven't taken a Taxi from the airport lately, I'll leave suggested prices to others - more like 1500 to 1800 I would think.

Also, be sure to check out the jet ski scam info - I'm serious.

(BTW, since you're 19 and from N.A., you might not know that "taking the piss out of..." means "pulling your leg" in American slang.)

Edited by Beacher

thanks everyone :)

all good stuff to keep in mind.

i'll do my best to not fuc_k this up, should be allot of fun though:)

i got fodors travel guide la few days ago and its been helping allot.

do you guys really think that i should be mroe suspicions of other travelers then i am thias?

No I don't think you should be more suspicious of other travllers than locals. Most backpackers are on the same trip. I would recommend if you are traveling by bus get a government bus and not one of those crap 'tourist VIP' pieces of crap. Fly if you can if not get the train. The only time I got ripped off was on a tourist bus. Partly my own fault as I swallowed enough vallium to kill a whore on a trip from Krabi to Bangkok. Woke up and my bag was gone. Live and learn. Thats the only problem I've had in ten years here.

You will hear lots of horror stories. Best to not get too paranoid. Paranoia breeds paranoia. Just keep your wits about you and you will be fine. Enjoy it man.

Edited by Geekfreaklover

Just common sense really. If you hire anything, check it out thoroughly in front of the owner, note any dents, scratches, cracks etc (photograph them if you have a digital camera). Try and get them to sign off on the digs before you take it away - can get real expensive otherwise. As above, meet up with other BPs and go around in groups, you can look after each other then.

Have fun with the ladies, but don't become a chump - if she's a rental, don't believe a word she says about you being special etc - don't give her your home contact details and don't fall into any honey traps - common sense.

If anyone is selling stuff that's real cheap - even if they say it government run/approved/promotion etc etc etc - it isn't, so don't buy it. Its crap and you will waste your money. Don't invest in anything. Common sense.

You can bring your laptop, but it will be an extra weight to carry. So decide if you need it. There are hotspots in many hotels etc so you can use a wifi enabled phone instead for emails or an internet cafe.

Don't believe people just because they are in uniform, nearly everyone wears one here - he could just be the janitor (or worse a cop!). If you get arrested (I hope not!) don't sign anything, wait for some legal help (phone the embassy) and only sign what you can read.

Even being caught in possession of tiny amounts of drugs can put you in jail, bigger amount could see you spending 15 years or more - or enough could earn a shot in the arm - stay away from it, don't hold it for anyone else - period! This country is serious about drugs and what will get a caution or confiscation back home could mean serious jail term and a deportation order.

Oh, never leave your drink unattended when you go to the loo or go to the bar or whatever, either take it with you or finish it first. I was drugged in Turkey in this way (it kind of back fired on the barman who did it because I'm allergic and had the opposite affect he though I was going to have - but that's another story), its no joke if it happens. Its rare (outside of Full Moon parties) but it can happen, so don't tempt providence and don't trust 'new mates' to look after it for you either. Common sense.

Keep this in the back of your mind, but don't let it spoil your holiday - have fun, but be safe - make it the trip to remember for the right reasons! And when you get to CM post up in the CM Forum and come along for a pint and say 'hi'.

Don't listen to these old farts, don't be afraid of spending some time with a bargirl. Worst case scenario, you fall in love with her and send her some money until you get tired of that. Best case, you may have the time of your life. And remember, there's always an English teacher position available!

Don't listen to these old farts, don't be afraid of spending some time with a bargirl. Worst case scenario, you fall in love with her and send her some money until you get tired of that. Best case, you may have the time of your life. And remember, there's always an English teacher position available!

I don't think any of us chased him away from bar girls, just away from that particular one (though I could think of some case scenarios worse than what you mentioned :) )

And watch who you call old fart, we're not all geriatrics you know :D

Arrange call in times or dates with family members or friends and respect those times & dates. It's your lifeline. Make sure you have access to emergency funds in the event of an emergency and don't come without medical insurance.

There is good news and bad news.

At 19 you will be at your male sexual peak and your erection will last for hours. You'll be able to go for hours and the cranky overly tatooed impotent slobs with the massive guts will think you are trying to move in on their skank. Not likely, but be prepared for some petty comments from insecure people. Ignore them, and smile. :) Never ever ask some of the elderly gits if it's ok if you talk to their grandaughters. Those are their girlfriends.

keep one thing in mind, a condom doesn't do much to protect against HPV and herpes. The estimates I have seen,are that the working bargirls with 2years+ experience test up at 80%+ positive for HPV and 40%+ for herpes. Neither disease is fatal and perhaps the estimates are inflated, but I think you get the point: Don't swim in polluted waters, no matter how enticing.

Leave the laptop at home. There are internet cafes all over the place. Your laptop will get damaged or stolen. Give your mom a copy of all your credit cards and atm card. You'll be happy you did when your wallet gets nicked. make sure your tetanus and hepatitis vaccines are current.

Never ever accept a drink from a stranger, especially one that you would avoid if you were back home.

Do not buy any sex dvds especially the animal sex ones. They are bogus and most likely won't work when you get home.

And do not slap any woman, even a slutty ho selling herself in a Pattaya bar. That's heavy duty sh*t and you'll pay dearly for it. Be polite and smile, even when some tard is trying to rip you off.

Arrange call in times or dates with family members or friends and respect those times & dates. It's your lifeline. Make sure you have access to emergency funds in the event of an emergency and don't come without medical insurance.

There is good news and bad news.

At 19 you will be at your male sexual peak and your erection will last for hours. You'll be able to go for hours and the cranky overly tatooed impotent slobs with the massive guts will think you are trying to move in on their skank. Not likely, but be prepared for some petty comments from insecure people. Ignore them, and smile. :) Never ever ask some of the elderly gits if it's ok if you talk to their grandaughters. Those are their girlfriends.

keep one thing in mind, a condom doesn't do much to protect against HPV and herpes. The estimates I have seen,are that the working bargirls with 2years+ experience test up at 80%+ positive for HPV and 40%+ for herpes. Neither disease is fatal and perhaps the estimates are inflated, but I think you get the point: Don't swim in polluted waters, no matter how enticing.

Leave the laptop at home. There are internet cafes all over the place. Your laptop will get damaged or stolen. Give your mom a copy of all your credit cards and atm card. You'll be happy you did when your wallet gets nicked. make sure your tetanus and hepatitis vaccines are current.

Never ever accept a drink from a stranger, especially one that you would avoid if you were back home.

Do not buy any sex dvds especially the animal sex ones. They are bogus and most likely won't work when you get home.

And do not slap any woman, even a slutty ho selling herself in a Pattaya bar. That's heavy duty sh*t and you'll pay dearly for it. Be polite and smile, even when some tard is trying to rip you off.

hahahha all good advice. i don't really plan on doing any hookers, don't mind going to strip clubs though.

how did you learn about the animal porn dvd's :D ?

and i plan on being very respectful, its the land of smiles after all right?

I'm 19 too and travelled around Thailand for 8 months, never had any serious problem there in Thailand.

You should know your rights, before entering the kingdom.

When it comes to nightlife, stay out of fights, bargirls or prostitutes in Thailand are okay, always negotiate the price before taking her home, even if she doesn't look like a prostitue, the chance is big she is one. And ofcourse don't fall in love with any girl you meet in a bar, club or something that looks like it.

When you are on beach party's, clubs, or bars somewhere in a touristic area, always be carefull when someones buys or buys for you a drink,

I got drugged once, I woke up walking back to my hotel and at the same time noticing my wallet was missing.

I never been to Pattaya but have been in Bangkok for over 1 month, I like Bangkok for it's cheap prices and cheap luxury life. I suggest you to visit all the islands in Thailand and also Chiang Mai & Chiang Rai up in the north. Then take a short trip to Vientiane and Luang Prabang in Laos (Take bus from Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai to Udon Thani and from Udon Thani to Nongkhai).

Also when you are in the south somewhere close to Phan ghan, Samui, or Phuket you should take the bus to some island or city in Malaysia, just to get a taste of what's going on there.

When it comes to government buses, I will NEVER again take a government bus for a Long Distance Travelling, the person who mentioned this above probably is a real "stick to the book" backpacker or simply a very cheap person. Government buses are not comfortable at all, they are just cheaper.

Take the VIP buses, they are not expensive (500/518/700/800) baht for Long Distance Travelling. These buses are comfortable and offer cold drink's, pillow's, and a sheet to sleep.

I was in Thailand for a long time, we both are 19 and I can tell you it's a great country, now i'm living in China for professionnal reasons and miss Thai food, enough to go back soon for a short trip.

I suggest you to also visit some neighbouring country's (Laos, Malaysia, or maybe fly to the Phillippines or Indonesia)

You will always find some nice people to chat with, but always watch out, there are alot faluangs (or farang, this means foreigner in english) that could use some extra money, these people will not hesitate stealing or scamming you.

But ofcourse there are also alot of faluangs with generous and lovely hearts in Thailand.

Have a great trip!!!

Greets

Edited by tommybkk

I'm 19 too and travelled around Thailand for 8 months, never had any serious problem there in Thailand.

When it comes to nightlife, stay out of fights, bargirls or prostitutes in Thailand are okay but don't fall in love.

When you are on beach party's, clubs, or bars somewhere in a touristic area, always be carefull when someones buys or buys for you a drink,

I got drugged once, I woke up walking back to my hotel and at the same time noticing my wallet was missing.

I never been to Pattaya but have been in Bangkok for over 1 month, I like Bangkok for it's cheap prices and cheap luxury life. I suggest you to visit all the islands in Thailand and also Chiang Mai & Chiang Rai up in the north. Then take a short trip to Vientiane and Luang Prabang in Laos (Take bus from Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai to Udon Thani and from Udon Thani to Nongkhai).

Also when you are in the south somewhere close to Phan ghan, Samui, or Phuket you should take the bus to some island or city in Malaysia, just to get a taste of what's going on there.

When it comes to government buses, I would NEVER again take a government bus, the person who mentioned this above probably is a real "stick to the book" backpacker or simply a very cheap person. Government buses are not comfortable at all, they are just cheaper.

Take the VIP buses, they are not expensive (500/518/700/800) baht for Long Distance Travelling. These buses are comfortable and offer cold drink's, pillow's, and a sheet to sleep.

I was in Thailand for a long time, we both are 19 and I can tell you it's a great country, now i'm living in China for professional reasons and miss Thai food, enough to go back soon for a short trip.

I suggest you to also visit some neighbouring country's (Laos, Malaysia, or maybe fly to the Phillippines or Indonesia)

Greets

Tommy. I was traveling in Thailand whilst you were colouring in pictures in elementary school. Have lived here ever since. Government busses are the bus services that run from the bus stations. Not the services that pick you up from your guesthouse. Government buses have normal and VIP services running from all bus stations. They are better than any VIP bus service that a tourist agent will try to sell you. But of course, thats just coming from a cheap person that sticks to the book.

Edited by Geekfreaklover