Pick Up Trucks - Advice Please

rohitsuk

I am hoping for advice from experts on pick up trucks as I have never bought and only rarely driven one.

We want to buy a new truck with the extended cab and bench seat with the half rear doors and put a Carryboy thing on the back of it. We will be running around CM and region collecting and delivering light packaged goods with occasional trips doing the same to Bangkok. We also want to sling the kids in the back from time to time and the camping gear, when we are heading for the hills. We already have a saloon car which we are keeping so it won't be our only transport.

It seems like there are lots of choices to be made but I am finding it difficult to make comparisons or find Road Tests as the names don't match up in the UK /US. Is an Isuzu whatsit really the same as a Chevy Colarado ?

I don't really think we need 4X4 or hiked up off the ground as we don't plan to go dirt tracking and would there be any other reason to have it ?

Diesel v Petrol, manual v auto (the Thais want auto) but I don't mind either, Nissan v Isuzu. It's all a bit bewildering to an engineering know nout like me so I would be really grateful for the low down from the truck fraternity.

Many thanks.

Hi Rohitsuk,

Already posted this answer but your post was moved to this the motor forum.

The Isuzu D-Max was made from a design borrowed off Chevrolet under the agreement that when Chevrolet launched their Colorado they could use the Isuzu Engine design.

So basically they are the same vehicle but the Colorado has a few face-lift type differences.

For the current range of pick-ups i believe that only the diesel version is available in Thailand.

I live on the outskirts of Bangkok so i prefer the Auto, which is much easier on the legs when stuck in traffic, which is probably why it is preferred by the Thais.

The D-Max is the oldest of the current range of pick-ups and a lot of improvements have been made since it was launched, so I would personally go for the Nissan.

Regards,

Tiger.

Hi Rohitsuk,

Already posted this answer but your post was moved to this the motor forum.

The Isuzu D-Max was made from a design borrowed off Chevrolet under the agreement that when Chevrolet launched their Colorado they could use the Isuzu Engine design.

So basically they are the same vehicle but the Colorado has a few face-lift type differences.

For the current range of pick-ups i believe that only the diesel version is available in Thailand.

I live on the outskirts of Bangkok so i prefer the Auto, which is much easier on the legs when stuck in traffic, which is probably why it is preferred by the Thais.

The D-Max is the oldest of the current range of pick-ups and a lot of improvements have been made since it was launched, so I would personally go for the Nissan.

Regards,

Tiger.

Thank you Tiger, I have just looked at the Chevy site and visited Isuzu this morning. A new rang is being launched on Sunday but it looks like it will be the I-290 already available in the US.

Regards - Rohitsuk

Trucks I’ve always like tough Fords; the Rangers are built here in Rayong for local use and global export to over 100+ nations. Seen new reasonably priced Thai built Ranger Open Cab 2.5L 4x2 manual trans models going for 550,000thb, and Ranger Open Cab 3.0L 4x4 auto trans models going for about 680,000thb. Strong duratorq turbo diesels; 2.5L puts out 140 horsepower/105kW and 330Nm of torque; 3.0L puts out 155 horsepower/115kW and 380Nm of torque.

Exterior has always had its distinctive muscular look, though new interiors have more carlike comfort. Check one out, as they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.