Thunder And Lightning

no not at alll but i do turn of my tvs and my computer because sometimes the power goes of for a few hours but this year its not been too bad

If you have an expensive big flatscreen TV, it is worth the few bugs to invest in a surge protection or UPS to put in between the TV and the power outlet. It prevents the TV from getting blown by a lightning and it also delivers a more "even" current and thereby should make the TV last longer.

Whatever you do, just make sure you unplug the phone line from your ADSL modem/router and turn off your PC during an electrical storm or risk suffering the same fate I have... Fried router + dead onboard LAN port... I could've ended up with a dead PC, but fortunately that didn't happen. Need I say more?!

If you have an expensive big flatscreen TV, it is worth the few bugs to invest in a surge protection or UPS to put in between the TV and the power outlet. It prevents the TV from getting blown by a lightning and it also delivers a more "even" current and thereby should make the TV last longer.

Don't we have enough "bugs" here in Thailand already?

But seriously folks...I do have a big flat screen...I was worried more about the connection with the satellite dish during a lightning storm. What do you think?

Whatever you do, just make sure you unplug the phone line from your ADSL modem/router and turn off your PC during an electrical storm or risk suffering the same fate I have... Fried router + dead onboard LAN port... I could've ended up with a dead PC, but fortunately that didn't happen. Need I say more?!

As I posted before, get a UPS that's what it does. You can get one for as little as 2000 baht, and it has surge protection also for the phone line.

As I posted before, get a UPS that's what it does. You can get one for as little as 2000 baht, and it has surge protection also for the phone line.

What is surge protection? Does it have a "size" or minimum specifications? BTW, this is a trick question.

What is surge protection? Does it have a "size" or minimum specifications? BTW, this is a trick question.

I have no idea, I'm a computer guy not an electrician :)

I guess maybe you can measure it on LPM (Lightnings Per Minute)?

It is so easy. Just touch the wires. If you see the flash AND feel it then you should do something against it. A friend of mine is a very good electrician and he gave me this advice.

Others have reacted to your question, giving additional items to turn off

or even better disconnect altogether when lightning is around.

Why ask the question if you do not want to consider the answers??

no not at alll but i do turn of my tvs and my computer because sometimes the power goes of for a few hours but this year its not been too bad

UPS's are not used for this purpose...unless you have more money than sense.

Surge protection found in powerboards (you can buy them from any supermarket) will not protect anything from a lightning surge. They are useless.

Proper surge protection is usually connected in your consumer unit. It's called a M.O.V. & is not cheap. For domestic residences, it should have a minimum interrupt rating & time of 50kA (50 000 amps) at 8 to 20 microseconds. It should also be rated for the line voltage (220v).

If you can't afford something like this, simply unplug all of your expensive/important equipment during an electrical storm.

and may those who believe in this fairy tale live long ever after! :)

there is no way to protect your electronics with technical equipment against a lightning strike in the vicinity (phone line or electrical supply). the only protection is UNPLUG!

using a UPS is as helpful as a prayer. even sophisticated and rather expensive gadgets like mine do not eliminate the danger completely.

post-35218-1253404556_thumb.jpg

UPS's are not used for this purpose...unless you have more money than sense.

Surge protection found in powerboards (you can buy them from any supermarket) will not protect anything from a lightning surge. They are useless.

Proper surge protection is usually connected in your consumer unit. It's called a M.O.V. & is not cheap. For domestic residences, it should have a minimum interrupt rating & time of 50kA (50 000 amps) at 8 to 20 microseconds. It should also be rated for the line voltage (220v).

If you can't afford something like this, simply unplug all of your expensive/important equipment during an electrical storm.

i did not realise that the Master beat me to it :)

Is it necessary to turn off these units in case of thunder and lightning ?

First, will millimeters inside a power switch stop what three kilometers of sky could not stop? Of course not. Makes little difference off or on. But a solution must be implemented where power enters the building.

Second, routine for the past 100 years is to even have direct lightning strikes and no damage. But that means learning the simple earthing techniques - and not wasting money on plug-in solutions. Again, will that plug-in protector stop what three kilometers could not stop? That is what they claim so that you will spend tens or 100 times more money on that highly profitable and ineffective protector.

Does your telcos, with a computer connected to overhead wires all over town, shut off phone service everywhere in town when a storm approaches? Of course not. They also do not waste money on plug-in protectors. Instead they do what you must do - earth every incoming wire in every cable via a 'whole house protector. The effective solution is distant from all appliances and as close to earth ground as practicable.

Third, will a UPS or protector between the outlet and TV protect that TV? Of course not. But that is what an overwhelming majority believe only because they were told to believe. Only because they never asked some simple and damning questions. Such as how does that UPS stop what three kilometers of sky could not. Did you notice - no plug-in protector or UPS makes any protection claims in their spec sheets. Their near zero protection is just enough above zero to claim "Surge Protection" on sales brochures. Then the naive recommend it as complete protection. It is still near zero protection - that got promoted by the same method that proved Saddam had WMDs.

If you have any appliances and did not install (and earth) a 'whole house' protector, well, there is little you can do. Little except spend very little money to earth one 'whole house' protector - so that you actually have some surge protection for all appliances - powered on or off.

Edited by westom

Did you notice - no plug-in protector or UPS makes any protection claims in their spec sheets. Their near zero protection is just enough above zero to claim "Surge Protection" on sales brochures. Then the naive recommend it as complete protection. It is still near zero protection - that got promoted by the same method that proved Saddam had WMDs.

If you have any appliances and did not install (and earth) a 'whole house' protector, well, there is little you can do. Little except spend very little money to earth one 'whole house' protector - so that you actually have some surge protection for all appliances - powered on or off.

next new thread in a week or so when again a UPS or even simple extension with multiple sockets will be promoted on Thaivisa as "surge protection" or "even current provider" :)

yes he does.

as he points out there is nothing that will stop a direct hit - if the main path is through your house , you want to hope you are not even home. a fire would probably break out anyway , of which the UPS would be of no use.

how many Thai places are even earthed ? this means there is less path.

but a UPS has a solid state interface between your wall power and its output which should give you a reasonable amount of protection against most non direct strikes .

I don't unplug everything during a storm - I 'll take the small risk.

I will back my surge protector UPS against the wishy washy science I see presented in this thread - unless of course a direct hit on the UPS and then all bets are off.

you added to the wishy washy as you don't seem to know what a direct hit is :)

i did not realise that the Master beat me to it :D

Sorry about that Doc. :D

I will back my surge protector UPS against the wishy washy science I see presented in this thread - unless of course a direct hit on the UPS and then all bets are off.

you added to the wishy washy as you don't seem to know what a direct hit is :)

:D:D

I had one experience here in TL several years ago .. via my telephone line. I was working on a Toshiba notebook that had an X-jack PCMCIA modem.

Pretty oblivious in my concentration .. sudden lightening storm.

Just as I heard a nearby strike a long spark jumped from the bare X-jack connection to my left hand (bare feet resting on tile floor).

Actually, I didn't feel any real pain .. similar to a Tesla coil.

Modem made an excellent surge suppressor as computer suffered no damage. Modem .. well that was a different story. :)

• 3 months later...
but a UPS has a solid state interface between your wall power and its output which should give you a reasonable amount of protection against most non direct strikes .

The typical UPS connects electronics directly to AC mains. All electronics have protection far superior to anything inside an adjacent UPS. One need only view the UPS specification numbers to see the obvious - no such protection exists.

Well, it does claim protection from one type of surge. And does so with near zero (hundreds) of joules. A type of surge that protection inside every appliance makes irrelevant.

We routinely earth a 'whole house' protector so that the typically destructive surge (lightning) does not even damage the protector. That is how it was done even 100 years. A concept based in what Ben Franklin demonstrated in 1752.

How tiny semiconductors inside a UPS stop what three kilometers could not stop. It is a current source. That means voltage increases as necessary to blow through anything that would stop a surge. Another reason why a UPS adjacent to electronics only provides near zero protection. Even galvanic isolation inside electronics appliances provides far more protection than a typical UPS.

An adjacent UPS is for data protection. To provide temporary power during a blackout. Any other claims in a sale brochure forget to mention those are near zero abilities. Only large enough to claim subjectively in a sales brochure.