Mr Ong Bak

Ricksomchai

:) Ok here is a new topic for ya ....

I know some have said I was bringing up the same thing over and over, well fuc_k it i wanted to feel

a little security :D lol

Here's a new topic Thai movie star Tony Jaa is he the next big thing or will he just be some guy one of your friends, friends knows about???? Will he step it up and surpass China's Jet Li and Chan???

Will he hit Hollywood with a storm of elbows? or just keep it at home????

If you have not seen the Thai films Ong Bak or Ong Bak 2 dont try to answer this... :D

Jet Li and Jackie Chan both speak English and have made English language films - dubbed films made Bruce Lee famousm but his real break was English language films like Enter the Dragon. I think to really break through on a world stage he needs to be adopted by Hollywood and that generally means speaking English.

Personally, I think his films are great especial;ly when paired with Petchthai Wongkamlao, and I hope he does keep going from strength to strength.

All he needs is a 'breakthrough' movie as his vehicle but they dun come easy. Jackie Chan tried many times before hitting the big time and Jet Li only enjoyed lukewarm success. All said I think Tony Jaa can kick every one of their butts, including Van Damme (the 1st one who made a name in Hollywood kickboxing)

Edited by somluck

We (my wife and I) live about 40 klm from Tony Jaa, so he is a fixture around our province. he lives in Cab Chong, by the Cambodian border. Not to many people speak English (well) in that area of the sticks, but he does have a good grasp of English, and can speak at an intermediate level. Whether or not he ever gets casted in the States is anyone's guess. Most of that has to do with politics more than acting ability. my wife and i were at the set of Ong bak 3 a few weeks ago. They are shooting part of the movie at a forest temple, and will be there for a couple more weeks. If you are interested in knowing where, PM me, and maybe you could ask him yourself. :)

Edited by mizzi39

We (my wife and I) live about 40 klm from Tony Jaa, so he is a fixture around our province. he lives in Cab Chong, by the Cambodian border. Not to many people speak English (well) in that area of the sticks, but he does have a good grasp of English, and can speak at an intermediate level. Whether or not he ever gets casted in the States is anyone's guess. Most of that has to do with politics more than acting ability. my wife and i were at the set of Ong bak 3 a few weeks ago. They are shooting part of the movie at a forest temple, and will be there for a couple more weeks. If you are interested in knowing where, PM me, and maybe you could ask him yourself. :D

Kap Cheong : Closer to the original spelling..... I think :)

I very much doubt he'll make it internationally. I though the sequel to his big movie, set in Australia, was really awful - his action seens were fun, but the film as a whole was poor, unlike the original.

He already is international all over from france to spain from china to the UK and all his films have hit the USA so far. But he just has not made the mark yet to be what we call a Hollywood star. Ong Bak 2 will be out october 23rd here in the US, but yeah that last one was not so good. Well i guess we will see, it says here that he had offers to be is some other films and turnd them down....why? Die hard 4 Rush hour 3 and even Indiana Jhones 4 he was too bussy shooting Ong Bak 2 and 3 ...but still why not make the time to get your foot in the door...?

I sure would like to see him hit it big. He is pretty amazing. It would just me a matter of a dozen factors coming together. I have a friend that has worked on all the films and knows him pretty well. I was asked years ago if I wanted to go meet him and didnt.....looking back I really wished I had........I am a fan. I would see anything he is in.

He needs to speak English.

We all know the phobia the majority in the English speaking countries have towards anything on tv (or the big screen) which is not spoken in English.

English subtitles simply don't do it for them.

Why, I have no idea.