Hi gang,

I'm not internet savvy so bear with me.

I've been told that I will need the above

to gain access to the internet.

Any ideas where to buy and if it is

difficult to set up?

Regards

Will

most mobile phones will allow you to do this its not neccesary to buy a usb modem just connect your mobile phone to your pc buy a 12call sim card and some internet hours and that should be ok.

There are now 3G USB cards and similar GPRS cards for sale at computer shops and phone counters all over town. They cost around 3,000 B and come with an internet contract etc.

Well worth the money and the connectivity should be fine in any area where there is mobile phone reception. Take a look around any electronics counter next time you are shopping.

Cheers

There are now 3G USB cards and similar GPRS cards for sale at computer shops and phone counters all over town. They cost around 3,000 B and come with an internet contract etc.

Well worth the money and the connectivity should be fine in any area where there is mobile phone reception. Take a look around any electronics counter next time you are shopping.

Cheers

How does the speed of 3G compare to EDGE?

Cheers

How does the speed of 3G compare to EDGE?

The modems are for sale, however there is very little 3G coverage.

AIS has 3G in a big part of Chiang Mai, a few test area's in Bangkok, and Bang Saen (Chonburi province). anywhere else and it'll only give you Edge speeds.

Was just about to start a new thread on this.

You want the AIS 3G AIRCARD E160E. About 3-4k THB. Then get a separate 12CALL SIM and put 1150 Baht credit on the thing. Call up AIS and have it put on Unlimited Data 999Baht a month. No contract, just add another 1100 baht a month top up and it automatically sets up the next month.

I was running a fancy Sierra Wireless Express card 880E, awful. 20 kbps. Now, same location, same SIM, with this AIS USB stick, well, see attached. Running at 250 kbps no problem. Actually usable now. This is in the middle of rice farming country too.

Happy days!

AIS_Internet_USB.pdf

You want the AIS 3G AIRCARD E160E. About 3-4k THB. Then get a separate 12CALL SIM and put 1150 Baht credit on the thing. Call up AIS and have it put on Unlimited Data 999Baht a month. No contract, just add another 1100 baht a month top up and it automatically sets up the next month.

I was running a fancy Sierra Wireless Express card 880E, awful. 20 kbps. Now, same location, same SIM, with this AIS USB stick, well, see attached. Running at 250 kbps no problem. Actually usable now. This is in the middle of rice farming country too.

Happy days!

Forget Edge, hopeless. I purchased an Edge USB Modem for 1500 baht and replaced the SIM with DTAC, they have a promotion 50 + 50(Bonus) 100hrs for 199baht I think the promotion ends in October. I must mention DTAC has it's moments but certainly a breeze in comparison to Edge.

I must mention DTAC has it's moments but certainly a breeze in comparison to Edge.

I'm not sure what you are trying to say. DTAC is a company, EDGE is a technology. I use DTAC EDGE as my only Internet connection at home and usually get around 180kbps to 220kbps reliably. Usually connected around 8 hours per day during the week and 12-15 hours per day on the weekends.

Happy days!

Forget Edge, hopeless. I purchased an Edge USB Modem for 1500 baht and replaced the SIM with DTAC, they have a promotion 50 + 50(Bonus) 100hrs for 199baht I think the promotion ends in October. I must mention DTAC has it's moments but certainly a breeze in comparison to Edge.

Only AIS works up here and no 3G, but this new stick works 10x faster than the 880E. Have no idea why.

Happy days!

Only AIS works up here and no 3G, but this new stick works 10x faster than the 880E. Have no idea why.

So you are saying that if I upgrade my old Edge SEGM-520 usb modem to the AIS 3G AIRCARD E160E and still use the existing 12Call sim that my speed will improve drastically. Im up here in rice fields also around Khlong Lan

john

Happy days!

So you are saying that if I upgrade my old Edge SEGM-520 usb modem to the AIS 3G AIRCARD E160E and still use the existing 12Call sim that my speed will improve drastically. Im up here in rice fields also around Khlong Lan

john

Well, I had that 880E fancy thing running at 20kbps, same SIM, same plan, same place on this new USB stick, 250 kbps. Right out in the sticks, only AIS works here.

Worth a try I guess.