Items Vanishing From Hotel Fridge

Ulysses G.

I usually ask any hotel I am staying at take all the items out of the mini bar, because I always end up paying for things that I did not take. I NEVER use anything in the mini-bar.

Last week I asked the front the desk to remove the stuff from the mini-bar when I checked in to a new hotel, but they said that it was against their policy.

One item was reported as missing after several days, but I had not taken it and had not allowed anyone in my room unless I was sitting there, so I knew that I was not responsible for it. We argued for about an hour and finally the told me that I would not have to pay and I asked them again to remove the rest of the stuff so this would not happen again.

When I finally checked out again, they reported another item missing (the whole fridge is packed full of this stuff, so there is now way that I can remember what is in there) and we went through the same thing again. Finally the manager said that he would pay for it and kept repeating in English that he is rich so it is no problem for him to pay for it.

Yes, I know that he was being sarcastic and that I was supposed to feel sorry for him, but this must go on constantly, so why don't they take the crap out of the fridge?

After all that, would you have paid for it?

I alway, when checking in ... and while the bell man is still in the room, invintory the fridge. If anything that is listed on the invintory list is not there I call them on it. I find that this scam happens not all too often BUT when it is tried I call them on it .

I HAVE never paid for "missing" items

I have stayed in hotels in Thailand and Asia on about 200 occasions and have only been asked once to pay for something that I had not consumed. It was a bottle of soft drink that was left opened by the previous guest so could have easily been missed. This was in Pattaya also, but when I told them I had not consumed the drink they reluctantly agreed not to bill me.

On the occasions i have stayed in Guest Houses/Hotels where their has been a Mini bar i have never had a problem but i am sure it goes on with out the managements Knowledge i cant see them actively encouraging this amongst staff.

it is a point worth arguing to a certain degree with the management, it is the principle not the matter of the cost (relatively small)

Having said that i would if the situation arose confront the management and aid to him look here do you believe me when i say i did not take this item or do you not believe me, if he said he believed me , then i would argue in that case we can remove the said item from the bill.

If he said he did not believe me then i would almost certainly pay and never set foot in the place again.

May be the answer is to either apply a small amount of super glue to the door handle and just hope you don't wake up in the morning with a lady one side and the mini bar on the other :)

A short time ago, I started a similar thread on another Pattaya forum. The responses were similar to the responses here in thaivisa. This is what I posted:

I go to Pattaya about three times per year. I usually stay at the Sawasdee Seaview. I know it's grubby but: it's cheap, I actually like the free breakfast, the wi-fi works in level 1 rooms, and the hotel is so convenient to everything.

When I was checking out several visits ago the reception clerk charged me for mini-bar goodies. I absolutely KNOW I didn't take the goodies - I never touch them and I never take guests back to this hotel. (After some unpleasant incidents I always take ladies to another hotel that I'm not staying at). The reception clerk even charged me for the complimentary water. I got a bit grumpy but paid, seeing it was only a few dollars.

Then, the next check-out, the receptionist did it again. He wanted me to pay for the stale peanuts and two girly breezer drinks. Once again, I never touched the stuff, and I never brought a guest back to my hotel room.

This time, I did a farang hissy fit and refused to pay. The reception clerk backed off and got me to write a letter to the manager instead, explaining why I wasn't going to pay. (This is 1am in the morning so there was no manager present).

So, on all my visits to this hotel since, I have insisted they empty the mini-bar on day one of my stay. And I don't touch the complimentary water. This means I don't have any dispute when I check out. And it means I can fill the tiny fridge with my own yoghurt and fruit and water.

Asking to have the mini-bar emptied doesn't seem to baffle or surprise hotel staff. So, I'm thinking, do other guys do the same thing? Do you get the hotel to empty your mini-bar on arrival?

Another question - why do el cheapo hotels like Sawasdee Seaview bother having mini-bars? The administration costs and labour must far outweigh any profit they make. Are they just doing it because posh hotels do it?

Please note - I'm not accusing the Seaview Reception of pulling a scam. I think that both times I was charged for the mini-bar it was just due to poor book-keeping by the cleaning staff.

So, on all my visits to this hotel since, I have insisted they empty the mini-bar on day one of my stay. And I don't touch the complimentary water. This means I don't have any dispute when I check out. And it means I can fill the tiny fridge with my own yoghurt and fruit and water.

Asking to have the mini-bar emptied doesn't seem to baffle or surprise hotel staff. So, I'm thinking, do other guys do the same thing? Do you get the hotel to empty your mini-bar on arrival?

It looks like that's the way to go.

I've never had a problem with mini-bars but I think it is a good idea to check them upon check-in and if items are already missing report the fact.

That's one of the many reasons that I love the Nana Hotel in Bangkok.

No mini bar, nothing in the fridge except free water, and one of the few hotels in Thailand where you can check out in a few seconds as they never phone up and send a maid to the room to see what you might have stolen.

And while I'm on the subject of the Nana, 1400 Baht net for very large rooms with cable TV, fridge and a/c. Air conditioned corridors, wonderful lifts ( I have never wait more than a few seconds for a lift to arrive, despite the hotel being pretty full), no charges or hassles to bring ladies in, but good security where they keep the ladys' ID.

I also like the free and safe parking right outside the hotel doors.

And generally the service is polite and efficient, despite the fact that a majority of their customers are "low end" drunken sexpats. (Like me :) - but sober).

To the OP - I would probably pay for the stolen items, just for my own piece of mind, and would never go back there.

There are hundreds of places to stay in Pattaya, so why patronize one that rips you off?

The next time they may plant drugs in your room.

Edited by Mobi

When I came to thailand for the first time(about 15 years ago ) and we stayed at the little duck hotel which also have their minibars fully stuffed.My cheapskate friend got so upset about when he brought a lady companion to the room that while he was in the shower they would take a drink or a piece of chocolate.

He thought he had the solution and put the entire minibar content in his suitcase before he went out at night.He only forgot to replace it the next day so when the room service came to clean the room they charged him for a complete minibar stock list.

This happend twice to him in a two weeks holiday. :):D

When I came to thailand for the first time(about 15 years ago ) and we stayed at the little duck hotel which also have their minibars fully stuffed.My cheapskate friend got so upset about when he brought a lady companion to the room that while he was in the shower they would take a drink or a piece of chocolate.

He thought he had the solution and put the entire minibar content in his suitcase before he went out at night.He only forgot to replace it the next day so when the room service came to clean the room they charged him for a complete minibar stock list.

This happend twice to him in a two weeks holiday. :):D

Who says there is no justice in Thailand?

A short time ago, I started a similar thread on another Pattaya forum. The responses were similar to the responses here in thaivisa. This is what I posted:

I go to Pattaya about three times per year. I usually stay at the Sawasdee Seaview. I know it's grubby but: it's cheap, I actually like the free breakfast, the wi-fi works in level 1 rooms, and the hotel is so convenient to everything.

When I was checking out several visits ago the reception clerk charged me for mini-bar goodies. I absolutely KNOW I didn't take the goodies - I never touch them and I never take guests back to this hotel. (After some unpleasant incidents I always take ladies to another hotel that I'm not staying at). The reception clerk even charged me for the complimentary water. I got a bit grumpy but paid, seeing it was only a few dollars.

Then, the next check-out, the receptionist did it again. He wanted me to pay for the stale peanuts and two girly breezer drinks. Once again, I never touched the stuff, and I never brought a guest back to my hotel room.

This time, I did a farang hissy fit and refused to pay. The reception clerk backed off and got me to write a letter to the manager instead, explaining why I wasn't going to pay. (This is 1am in the morning so there was no manager present).

Another question - why do el cheapo hotels like Sawasdee Seaview bother having mini-bars? The administration costs and labour must far outweigh any profit they make. Are they just doing it because posh hotels do it?

Please note - I'm not accusing the Seaview Reception of pulling a scam. I think that both times I was charged for the mini-bar it was just due to poor book-keeping by the cleaning staff.

Makes one wonder about you PSI powers - how you can know - if as you wrote "you never touched them" - that the peanuts are stale!? :)

just a thought...

Edited by Samuian

I have stayed at hundreds of hotels throughout Asia over a period of 15 years. Never once was I asked to pay for something from a mini-bar that I didn't consume.

What level/quality of hotels are we talking about in this thread? Star-rating? One or two?

I have stayed at hundreds of hotels throughout Asia over a period of 15 years. Never once was I asked to pay for something from a mini-bar that I didn't consume.

What level/quality of hotels are we talking about in this thread? Star-rating? One or two?

I would have thought that the vast majority of cases are just simple administration errors.

Why would a room-maid risk her job for a can of soda or a tube of Pringles?

Plus, sometimes when you are drunk you totally forget things you did or ate and drank.

I would have thought that the vast majority of cases are just simple administration errors.

Why would a room-maid risk her job for a can of soda or a tube of Pringles?

Plus, sometimes when you are drunk you totally forget things you did or ate and drank.

I think your last sentence - provides the 'why' this occurs......

I am sure you still check if your car is there, and nobody is leaning over your carhood, best to remove the Girls near your car for a short time, so they cant damage anything :)

Makes one wonder about you PSI powers - how you can know - if as you wrote "you never touched them" - that the peanuts are stale!? :)

just a thought...

Maybe because they usually are stale as hardly anybody uses stuff from the mini-bar and they sit there forever! On the odd occasion when I stay in hotels around Thailand I always check the "use by" dates on the packs before opening having been caught out with stale nuts (no comments please!) more than once! :D

I am sure you still check if your car is there, and nobody is leaning over your carhood, best to remove the Girls near your car for a short time, so they cant damage anything :)

Actually, I leave the back door open with a sign on the window inviting them to cool off and snucker down :D

Seriously though, I always park right opposite the reception doors, and security is as tight as a virgin's xxx :D

Im staying at the diana inn in 2 weeks,, lets hope this is a one off...

Take precautions: Upon arrival into your room, use heavy duty duct tape and wrap the fridge completely, sealing the door completely to opportunist thieves.

Before check-out, remove the tape, and remove stubborn sticky stains with acetone.

Problem solved!