Pci Boards

spacebass

Does the internal socket on say a USB/Firewire PCI board have any use that is not obvious, at least to me?

I would like to connect this socket to my two front panel usb sockets giving them USB2 functionality, is this possible? Is there a common cable for this purpose, i.e. to join the front panel USB to board cable with the internal PCI board socket?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by spacebass

The internal socket on add-on USB/firewire cards is usually used for two things, the front panel connector or an internal USB/firewire device (such as a harddisk).

The connector for your front panel USB usually is a mainboard connector, and will not fit on the internal USB connector of an addon card. You could try buying a USB cable and then do a bit of soldering.

I don't entirely agree with Firefoxx here. I have a USB/Firewire card, and the additional internal USB ports were implemented as a pin header, so was actually the same as the motherboard connector in my case.

Maybe I was just lucky. Anyway, it's fairly obvious if it's a USB port (like the ones on the back) or simply a pin header (pins sticking up from a bit of plastic on the PCB) when you look at it.

Strange, I've never seen one with an internal pin header before. Usually only a socket, like the one spacebass has.

I had the opposite problem, I had a firewire front panel connector which terminated in a normal firewire plug. My mainboard had an internal pin firewire header. I modded a female pin header and cut the front panel line, and soldered them together. You of course need to know which line goes where.