Good Seafood Restaurant In Phuket.

spiceman

if you want good and not fancy, the alley behing ( parallel) to soi patong resort has some good seafood.

you can sit in oasis bar and walk out the back door, pick out what you want and they will prepare it and deliver it to you in the bar, not expensive, but good stuff ( the steamed blood cockels are really good with some terriffic dipping sauces)

Go to laem hin and one get one of the longtails to take you to bang id (its the name of a floating restaurant owned by a fishermans co-op) the ride is payed for by restaurant and the food is absolutely superb, fish held in nets under the raft you are sitting on, oysters still in the ocean when you order so you cant get fresher. It is only a 5 minute ride and the food is great, tho price getting up now but still cheap compared with patong seafood restaurants.

Go to laem hin and one get one of the longtails to take you to bang id (its the name of a floating restaurant owned by a fishermans co-op) the ride is payed for by restaurant and the food is absolutely superb, fish held in nets under the raft you are sitting on, oysters still in the ocean when you order so you cant get fresher. It is only a 5 minute ride and the food is great, tho price getting up now but still cheap compared with patong seafood restaurants.

Can you tell me where laem hin is, thanks

Yep and the toilet goes straight into the fish nets too so you are what you eat!!!! Yummy

laem hin is where the boats leave for to go to Koh Maphrao, it is about 5kms on the phuket town side of the boat lagoon

I actually think Laem Hin is the best seafood Restaurant on Phuket.

And never too expensive.

But it is pretty primitive(furnishings) although wonderful view.

Baan Had Rawai southern end of Rawai beach, live fish in tanks, mud crabs, blue swimmer crabs, clams and oysters. Good service quiet, cool and reasonable price. Consistantly good thai seafood for years.

I have been to Laem Hin as well, nice place, bit out of the way.

Baan Had Rawai southern end of Rawai beach, live fish in tanks, mud crabs, blue swimmer crabs, clams and oysters. Good service quiet, cool and reasonable price. Consistantly good thai seafood for years.

You want fresh? Do this:

Go to the sea gypsy market in Rawai. Buy the fish. Take it to a shop on the other side of the road who will BBQ it for you straight away. Hey, view might be a bit rough and ready, but apart from that................Yummie.

You want fresh? Do this:

Go to the sea gypsy market in Rawai. Buy the fish. Take it to a shop on the other side of the road who will BBQ it for you straight away. Hey, view might be a bit rough and ready, but apart from that................Yummie.

Hi

Fresh,,, well maybe in the morning go there later in the day and see the fish with no ice, did it yesterday believe me they did not look fresh

You want fresh? Do this:

Hi

Fresh,,, well maybe in the morning go there later in the day and see the fish with no ice, did it yesterday believe me they did not look fresh

The fisherman's boats with the fish arrived to the gypsy market from 1 to 3 pm.....never in the morning.... :)

The fisherman's boats with the fish arrived to the gypsy market from 1 to 3 pm.....never in the morning.... :)

Hi

I said Maybe in the morning, dont know.. but believe me the fish we saw did not look nice, my GF just wanted to get away, and she like fish,,, fresh, and BTW we was there after 3, think around 5, not sure

• 5 weeks later...

Hi

Well said, greenwater. I've actually dived with the sea gypsies and watched them get fish from their traps for sale in the market.

They deliberately don't land the fish until around 1 or 2 in order to keep them fresh. Going with the sea gypsies is a great "eco-dive", and if anyone is interested in seeing this, feel free to PM me.

To be fair, it probably is obvious that left-over fish will be on the shelves the next day. But I think Tesco and Carrefour and Makro do the same..!!

Going with the sea gypsies is a great "eco-dive", and if anyone is interested in seeing this, feel free to PM me.

I would hardly call the sea gypsies "eco-friendly". They catch many different reef fish that are not good for eating.

A-ha, a comment from the ignorant!! Clearly, you know didly-squat about their fishing methods, or you wouldn't have posted this. I, too, didn't know much about them until I took the time to dive with them. What an eye-opener. Compared to the fishing methods used by Japanese and some European fishermen, theirs is the true eco way to preserve and manage fish stocks.

If you're a diver, please PM me, and arrange to go out with them. You'll learn and enjoy.

Hi Please could anybody recommend an excellent seafood restaurant in phuket. We are staying in Karon but are ok to venture out if need be.

I've looked on the sticky section but can't find many talking about seafood restaurants.

Thanks for all your help.

Tons of places on Rawai Beach. Good setting too. Pick the one where you have the mats on the sand.

Edited by grumpyoldman

Palai Seafood, at the far end of the road to the Phuket zoo. Always full with local peoples which is a good sign, fresh succulent seafood at very fair price; the view over the Chalong bay is very nice too.

OK, I'm not going to rise to this issue anymore. The original post was about good seafood restaurants, so let's stick to that. For my final word on this, though, I just have to clarify the state of fishing with the Rawai sea gypsies.

1) There is no farmed fish. The only fish sold at the market is caught by the sea gypsies, and they do not get fish from fish farms. However, virtually everywhere on Phuket relies on farms for prawns, crabs, lobsters etc. That is what the guy would've been on about, and there are shellfish farms at the south end of Rawai beach.

2) Cod and Haddock in Europe. Barramundi and Tailor in Australia. Parrotfish is Thailand. It's not inedible - why would a fisherman land a fish that was awful to eat and no one would buy? Different races have different tastes. It's not my favourite, but BBQ'd parrotfish is not too bad. So, no, it's not wasted - locals also shop there who want to buy what we would call "reef fish", not just foreigners who want perch and bass etc.

3) From 3pm onwards, you'll see lots of good quality cars, 4 x 4's there. They belong to buyers and chefs etc from good restaurants / hotels around the island who deliberately source their fish from Rawai due to its quality and freshness. Go to another restaurant in the south of Phuket, and every chance the fish originated from the sea gypsies.

4) I repeat - fish is only landed around lunchtime for sale on that afternoon. But, as I also said, I accept that anything left over may well appear the following mornig, but that's no different to fish outlets like Tesco, Makro etc.

5) Finally, I'm not posting any more about this. Should anyone wish to view / witness / dive and see exactly what the Rawai sea gypsies do, please PM me. Those who do not know, kindly stop writing about this topic, and knocking these traditonal people.

So, to sum up, buy your fish here and do it your self at home, or any restaurant getting this fish will likely serve a lovely dish. I also like Palai Seafood Restaurant (mentioned here earlier), but where do they keep their fish? In tanks, at the restaurant, beside the kitchen. Might not be dead for a long time, but hardly "sea-fresh" condition.

Hi

Here you have "fresh" fish from Rawai today, been lying in the heat for hours, no ice, btw the guy told my GF that it was farm fish, so no catch of the day here :D

i v been there in the morning and been there in the afternoon. For years. Some stalls have old fish, no ice and smells like sh-t. :D Some are better :)

• 3 months later...

Kanaeng 2,the original,not the one at Chalong pier.From karon,get to Chalong circle,take the Phuket town road,past the police station,and look out for a huge yellow sign about half a mile on the right hand side with Kanaeng 2 written on it,turn right at the sign and follow the narrow road down to the end.

Consistently excellent food at cheap prices,right on the beach with great views,you can also take your own wine if you prefer.

PST.