Pension

Not quiet,i have over time read a lot on the pension in this forum. and i hope i am going to get it right.

i have gone home each year either each 12 months or 15 denpending on my non imma O visa, which allows for this if you apply before the 12 mts as most know,

i am 60 now and intend NOW each time i go back to OZ ,each 12 months i intend to work [wich i have lined up] for that time and pay tax to show that OZ is still my place of residence,as i put a tax rerurn in each year.

i now have no property in oz, but show my sons and my address as the same as i have done for the last 20yrs.

i intend to do this for the next 5 yrs and hope to have no prob getting the pension,

i like to see my family each year so dont mind goig home ,i know extended time OS is considered non resident.

any thoughts .

cat

and hope to have no prob getting the pension,

i like to see my family each year so dont mind goig home ,i know extended time OS is considered non resident.

any thoughts .

cat

You will have to be in Australia when you apply. and you will probably have had to live in Australia all of the two years before you apply or you will have to stay in australia for two years continuously after

Things change though I cannot see it getting easier.

Not quiet,i have over time read a lot on the pension in this forum. and i hope i am going to get it right.

i have gone home each year either each 12 months or 15 denpending on my non imma O visa, which allows for this if you apply before the 12 mts as most know,

i am 60 now and intend NOW each time i go back to OZ ,each 12 months i intend to work [wich i have lined up] for that time and pay tax to show that OZ is still my place of residence,as i put a tax rerurn in each year.

i now have no property in oz, but show my sons and my address as the same as i have done for the last 20yrs.

i intend to do this for the next 5 yrs and hope to have no prob getting the pension,

any thoughts .

cat

My initial thought is that you've posted in the wrong forum... :)

Firstly, I have'nt verified what I am about to say. However, I was told that one wouldn't get the pension unless you were in Australia full time for 2 years prior to being eligible.

I'm not sure wether paying tax will make a difference, maybe you just need to put in a tax return. either way I will be interested in what you find out.

You need primarily to be in Australia and prove to Centrelink that fact over this 2 year period prior to reaching 65.

There appears to be nothing in writing to define whether when you are outside, how this time is judged as to be holidays or actually living somewhere else.

Some have fallen in to this trap and been classed as Non Resident, thus not receiving the Pension until they go to a lot of trouble to prove otherwise.

Many posts about this in another pinned thread in this section.

I came to Thailand at age 60, just before reaching 64 years of age I wrote to centrelink regarding paying me a pension overseas at age 65, they replied that I would have to live in Australia for one year prior and one year following reaching age 65. I went to Australia and would spend about three months there and then return to Thailand for about six weeks, I did this for two years and they let me get away with it. After about two years they wrote me and said I could now live in Thailand permanently and they would pay me the full pension. At that time I had worked in Australia for over 25 years which is what is required to get the full pension. Hope this is of some help to you.

Good info Paul, still ridiculous though that you have to play some form of compliance game with them without any REAL guidlines on what is acceptable.

All these posts should really be moved to the pinned Australian Pension section!

Edited by fishhooks