Laser Eye Surgery

Carlosm

I'm looking to have laser eye surgery.

Has anyone any information as to where to get it done and price's.

Went to Bangkok-Pattaya hospital (seemed expensive) and seen what they have but was wondering if anyone has had it done and if so the results... good, bad or indifferent ?

I had it done at Bumrungrad 4 years ago - I can't remember the price, but I think it was over 50.000 Baht.

It lasted just 4 years and now I am wearing glases again.

Everything was professional an after examination the first day (30 Minutes) the next day I had the surgery (45 Minutes)

It was not painfull but terrible to have someone strech your eyes to the limit. One week later I was still looking like a Zombie.

I was 49 years old and my eyesight is still getting worse, soo think about it. It just helps for 1 - 3 years, depending on your age.

Munich

I had it done at Bumrungrad 4 years ago - I can't remember the price, but I think it was over 50.000 Baht.

Everything was professional an after examination the first day (30 Minutes) the next day I had the surgery (45 Minutes)

It was not painfull but terrible to have someone strech your eyes to the limit. One week later I was still looking like a Zombie.

I was 49 years old and my eyesight is still getting worse, soo think about it. It just helps for 1 - 3 years, depending on your age.

Munich

Munich, thanks for that. I had no idea it could only last 4 years and in Pattaya they're asking 88,000 baht. I'm not paying that for just 4 years. I'm 47 years old so my eye sight hasn't stopped changing either..... definitely giving it some thought ! :)

I had lasik in April after many years of research and deliberation, as well as discussion with others that had done it.

One friend in Thailand specifically advised not to go with a Pattaya hospital (can't remmeber name) as their technology was outdated.

I went with TRSC in Bangkok and was 100% satisfied.

Cost was 69000Baht for lifetime guarentee and any and all subsequent checkups. I had the most expensive option possible, but highly recommend it.

My surgeon had been doing operations for 16 years and when I googled him found out he not onoy taught at a Thai medical facility, but was involved in the development of lasik technology for many years.

I booked online and within the week had an appointment for the tests, which took 3 hours, plus HIV test around the corner at BNH. Then went back and had op that afternoon. Could see 100% as soon as I sat up.

Have perfect vision now at better than expected (can read bottom line of chart) and later checkups revelaed can read better without any of the lenses they add during the tests, so we are all very pleased.

Surgery itself took minutes, 20 sconds each eye once the cut the corneal flaps off. Yes yu can smell the burning, but no one mentioned anywhere I read how pretty the lasers were.

There was even a lady n there whose job during the surgery was to hold my hand. She did the before and after srugery drops while I was in the big comfy recliner.

Left on valium and painkillers and that night wasn't the best (worse for my partner) but fine ever since.

Would totally recommend TRSC.

I am 37 by the way. Apparently can expect deterioration with age later (50+) as my father had, who now wears reading glasses. After 23 years short sighted and the world a blur of colours without contacts (-4.00) do not mind one bit if that happens with age.

I had the most expensive option available which is a third in comparisson to Australia, and the care and service and facilities were far above anything ever seen in Aus. Would recommend not cutting costs as you onoy get one shot at this.

FYI the other place I was considering was the eye hospital in Bangkok, wose name I forget, and am actually searching for for our nephew, when I stumbled across your post.

Good luck.

I had laser eye surgery some 9 years ago, I was short sighted. After the op I still couldn't see as well as when I had spectacles. I went to an independant optiction who confirmed I had 20/20 vision, and could drive legally without spec's, as per the law. I informed the optition that I couldn't see as well as I could with spec's. His reply was " that's because an optition will give you vision that is better than 20/20".

Irrespective of correcting your vision you will still have to wear spec's. All laser surgery did for me was change my eyes from short sightedness to long sightedness. They cannot give you both, it's one or the other. I now have to wear glasses for reading, the downside of the op if your short sighted. Would I get it done again, given the chance ? I don't think I would, as I hate using reading glasses.

Went to Bangkok-Pattaya hospital (seemed expensive) and seen what they have but was wondering if anyone has had it done and if so the results... good, bad or indifferent ?

i have recounted my full experience before on TV so i will not bore you with the details

i had Lasik 7 years ago at Bangkok Pattaya Hospital

the pound-baht was 75ish then and i remember both eyes were £475.

the service and after care (which continued for free up to over a year later) were absolutely first class

i had 20/16 vision after the operation and could still read without using specs.

pre-op, i was warned i might lose some of my reading ability but i was lucky and didn't and i still do not wear reading glasses.

the only downside is poor close up vision in low light.

i believe the doctor who did my operation has moved to Bangkok though but i still go to the eye centre for periodical check ups as i have diabetes and worry about Glaucoma

i thoroughly recommend them and the Lasik procedure in my case

i am sure others have nightmare stories to tell but it worked for me

I had Lasix at TRSC 10 years ago, 100% satisfied then and still so now. I went from 20/400 (legally blind without glasses) to almost 20/20 in one eye and about 20/40 in the other...which is good as this type of "monovision" (one eye a bit near-sighted) helps with near vision. Before the surgery I needed coke bottle-thick glasses just to find my way to the bathroom to put in my contact lenses, and had to wear reading glasses over the contacts to read anything. I now need none of these.

Need to understand tho the different types of vision problems and what Lasik can and cannot do. It can correct myopia (near-sightedness, i.e. trouble seeing far away) well in patients whose vision is stable (no change in prescription in recent years). It can correct mild degrees of the type of far-sightedness (trouble seeing things up close/reading) that is due to curvature of the eye. It does not correct or prevent the far-sightedness which occurs as people grow older since that is due not to the curvature of the eye but to decreased accomodation. -- loss of the reflex which adjusts the eye when you swtich from normal vision to close vision. So a person who has had Lasik may well find that they need reading glasses as time passes and this does not mean that the procedure "wore off" or wasn't permanent. A skillful surgeon will propose monovision (undercorrection of one eye) for near-sighted patients aged say 35-40 and above to help counteract this, and this will forestall the need for reading glassees by many years, but probably not forever.

Since the exact results are not known until the eye stabilizes post surgery, if going for monovision it is best to do one eye at a time. In my case the surgeon did first my worst eye, which he had already assessed as having nio chance of reaching a full 20/20. Once the final results of that eye were known he knew how far to correct the second eye. This did mean going in twice, and it cost a few thousand baht more that way, but was well worth it. Plus it was easier to cope with the flunctuating vision one has in the weeks immediately after surgery when it involved only one eye.

The skill/experience of the surgeon makes a difference to the outcome. A good surgeon will spend adequate time with the patient before hand ensuring that they have an accurate understanding of how much and what type of visual improvement they are likely to get, and will propose the type of procedure best suited to the indiovidual, explaining why (Lasik is not suitabel for everyone and there are alternative prociedures e.g. implantation of "permanent" contact lens) . TRSC does an excellent job of that. No extravagant promises, no pressure or sales pitch, just a factual explanation of what your personal odds are of getting X vision afterwards and the pros and cons of various procedures. They were also quite up front in telling me what it would not help with e.g. that it would not help my problems with glare and night vision and might not prevent eventual need for reading glasses as I aged and the accomodation reflex weakened.

To really correct presbyopia (loss of accomodation refles\x due to aging), can do a complete removal of the lens and implantation of an artifical lens; this is the same type of procedure as is doen for people with cataracts and is a more drastic surgery. it is being rather agressively pushed at BPH under the hyped name "Super Sight". The removal of a healthy lens for this purpose is controversial.

If presbyopia is the only problem (i.e. had good vision until began to have trouble with near vision in middle age), a gentler alternative is to do Lasik one one eye only, making it slightly near-sighted, which in turn gives monovision, same idea as mentioned above.

I cannot recommend TRSC highly enough. They cost a bit more but are well worth it. Whatever you do, do not select place or procedure on the basis of cost. It is an elective procedure; have it done well or not at all, and you get what you pay for where purely elective medical procedures are concerned. And do not settle for less than a highly detailed, low-key factual explanation of options, risks etc. A doctor who does not provide that is not one to trust with your eye(s).

I am another satisfied customer of TRSC.

I had the procedure done when I was age 45. Now, at age 49, I no longer need contacts or glasses for normal activities. When I wore glasses and contacts, my vision corrected down to 20/15 bilateral. After Lasix, my vision was not that good, but it is fine. I have not had a test in a couple of years, so I do not know exactly what my vision rating is, but I see fine.

I do have to wear reading glasses, and TRSC did advise me that it would be likely that this would be the case. My reading glasses cost 80 baht on the street. I have easily a dozen pair scattered around my house, in case I need to read a label or look at something close up. I do not find it a huge imposition, and I consider it a very fair trade-off. I used to spend a pretty penny on contacts and on glasses. No longer.

TRSC has a lifetime guaranty. I can pick up the phone at any time and make an appointment to be seen at no charge. Additional procedures are free, except for hospital supplies, generally around 1,000 baht. I considered making a small adjustment a couple of years ago because my dominant eye for shooting changed, but since I am otherwise satisfied with my eyesight, I decided to forego the procedure. I do not wish to tempt fate. I see very well. I figure that cutting your eyeballs can be a risky endeavor. I did it once and I got away with it. I see no real need to try it again.

I strongly endorse TRSC, and in case anybody wonders, no, I have no relationship with the firm or with anybody associated with it. I am simply a satisfied customer.

Munich

Hi , I had laser surgery about 15 years ago in Vancouver, Canada , when I was about 35 years old .

I was 20/600 before the surgery and 20/20 after the surgery . I had to start wearing glasses again about 6 months ago as my sight has gone down to about 20/100. I had pretty much 20/20 to 20/40 vision for about 13 years or so and it was the best decision I ever made. As I just started wearing glasses again , I remember what a pain in the ass they are.

Next time I go back to Vancouver I will get the surgery again from the same place as they offer free lifetime enhancements .

Laser surgery for eyes

When you are about 45 - 50 years old I don't thin LASIK is an option anymore, you will have presbyopia aging eye so do laser is only temporally.

Do look out Super Sight Surgery done by Dr.Somchai.T at BPH. That is an permanent solution for getting of with reading glasses.

Permanent so far until U die.

U find link on BPH web site.

I had it done almost 6 years ago at age 48. Before I was shortsighted and used glasses for everything but reading. I was asked what I wanted and given choices from what was possible for me. After considering the options, I went for good long vision and reading glasses for books, and got precisely that.

I now need glasses for small print, especially in low light, but the rest of my life is glass free. Nothing mists up, rain doesn't affect my vision, and I can buy normal sunglasses. Computers and odd bits of reading like golf score cards are fine, but I'm more comfortable with reading glasses when settling down with a book.

My optician isn't seeing any degradation for age so far, still a little better than 20/20 in each eye. One thing that I hadn't anticipated was that my eyes are the same now, before my right was better. Being the same means that I can buy off the peg reading glasses. My current ones were £2 for 2 pairs in ASDA (UK supermarket), that's about 55 Baht a pair - I can live with that!

Cost was 72,000 at http://www.laservision.co.th in Bangkok, though I believe it's got cheaper since. Best money I ever spent bar none.

I did hear a lot of (mainly anecdotal) talk about problems with the surgery, but in every case I looked into it was due to post-op infections that were caused by the patient simply not taking the needed amount of care of his eyes in the vulnerable week or so following the surgery. If you get this done, listen carefully to the doctor and follow his instructions religiously. Something as simple as rubbing your eyes, or getting seawater in them during that period could leave you with bad vision for life. Putting up with a restricted lifestyle for a week or so the sensible thing to do.

Long-term studies are finding that laser correction tends to bring presbyopia on earlier in most people than it would arrive without surgery. Besides speeding up presbyopia, which was a fair trade-off for me, the near-sightedness did come back after 10 years. My exwife had surgical correction for nearsightednessaround the same time, and was back wearing glasses for nearsightedness within 10 years. Not as bad as pre-surgery, but dropping from 20/20 to 20/200. A Rutnin ophthalmologist explained this was the case with many people because within 5-10 years the lens tends to reshape itself to its original genetically programmed shape, if I understood him correctly.

Another thing I was told recently was that once your eyes have had this sort of surgery, correction using glasses (which you will eventually need) can never correct your vision as much as they did pre-surgery. I don't remember the reasoning behind this, but it certainly has been true in my case.

I also developed a mild astigmatism one year after surgery, and my ophthalmologist said that in my case it was a result of the surgery, ie, the way the lens healed. It wasn't bad enough to have to wear glasses again, at least not until the nearsightedness came back. I'm convinced that in the long term I would have better vision (albeit with glasses) overall if I had not had the surgery.

I wouldn't recommend Lasik for anyone for whom ultra-sharp vision is very important for their occupation, ie graphic design. Obviously there are also professions where not wearing glasses is of greater benefit than very sharp vision, eg acting, PR, sales, music, general office work, etc.

For me it was worth not having to wear glasses for 10 years (other than reading glasses, which I needed within three years of the surgery), but I find that people most enthralled with the surgery had it done less than five years before their glowing reports.

There are some excellent posts here. I have decided against getting the surgery, I have myopia (near-sighted) my vision is around 20/300.

It really is not an issue of money, I think I would actually save money by getting the surgery done via savings on eye checkups, glasses, and contacts (I was told I am a good candidate).

I wear a mix of contact lenses and glasses. My ability to read without glasses is very important to me, it is one of my primary lifetime activities. My glasses are quite thin and light, not coke-bottle, I paid $160 just for the lenses in the USA, and only need to replace once every few years. I spare no expense on my vision. In fact, this is the only area of medicine or dentistry that I continue to have done in my home country (USA). Everything else I outsource.

My advice would be that if you don't have any real problems with contacts and/or the glasses you wear (like dry-eye, occasional infections, or discomfort), and that your vision is not super-bad, consider not getting the surgery.

LuvThailand

Munich

Am surprised to hear all that and equally, am sorry that your eyesight is getting worse....a genetic condition perhaps?

Had my first eye done in UK way back in 1995 and the second eye done 6 months later (had to leave a gap of 6 months in those days).

To-date, no problems with my eyesight, and I continue to shoot target rifles at 1000 yards+...without using optics.

Am now 56.

Bucklt :)

• 3 weeks later...

While I was living in Pattaya about 6 years ago, my farang landlord had Lasik done there. The first result had problems.

I thought about having my cataract procedures there, but backed away when I got a bad vibe. They wanted to do both eyes at the same time .. and told me at least 5 times to be sure and bring enough cash when I checked in.

I ended up getting a referral to a Dr out on Chan Road "Wavefront?" .. he speaks perfect English, charged me Bt 70, 000 for both eyes and my eyesight is still excellent. Rutnin on Asoke is highly touted as well.

• 2 months later...

Does anyone know if laser surgery can cure Retinal Artery Occlusion? I have had it for a year now. It happened due to high cholesterol forming a clot. Apparently had I got to the hospital within an hour of it happening it could have been cured. I got there after 2 hours!

I can just about see movement but it is basically like looking at a balck image through a 96% black screen. One eye only - the other is fine and hope it stays that way!

Does anyone know if laser surgery can cure Retinal Artery Occlusion? I have had it for a year now. It happened due to high cholesterol forming a clot. Apparently had I got to the hospital within an hour of it happening it could have been cured. I got there after 2 hours!

I can just about see movement but it is basically like looking at a balck image through a 96% black screen. One eye only - the other is fine and hope it stays that way!

Unfortunately no, neither laser surgery nor anything else can restore your vision. A retinal artery occlusion is basically a stroke in the eye, cutting off blood supply to the retina. Like strokes due to blood clots in the brain, If it is possible to undo the blockage quickly enough, tissue death can be averted, but once tissue has died due to obstructed blood flow (in this case, tissue in the retina) there is nothing that can be done.

You do not still have retinal artery occlusion, what you have is permanent damage to the retina as a result of past occlusion of the retinal artery, and there is no treatment for that.

You can reduce risk of a repeat event (in the remaining good eye, brain or elesewhere) through good control of cholesterol and blood pressure and by not smoking.