Ancient Car Museum?

sunreader

mrbrad

im 60 ... my dad is 93 and still alive

thats ancient enough for me !

if you dont think so ..... get a life ! ..... dave2

it is one of those funky asian translations. Never ever heard Ancient and automobile mentioned in the same sentence unless trying to convey a lot of sarcasm about a POS car. I found the name humorous.

post-27132-1253643091_thumb.jpg

sunreader

if you cant get out of town this ancient relic can usually be found 10 yards inside the soi opposite soi 1 in loi kroh road

my dad had one of these in about 1953 .... enjoy .... dave2

Very nice Dave! love to see old cars in unusual places and look forward to visiting the museum in October as there must be some great stories attached to these beauties and how they got there!

Found the link at last!

http://www.chiangmaichimes.com/museums-chi...car-museum.html

"Ancient" is a translation of the Thai word โบราณ, which also means antique, as in พิพิธภัณฑ์รถโบราณ or Antique Car Museum.

Be warned, stated clearly on the website, "Entry: Thai 100 Baht, Non-Thai 200 Baht"

Edited by Puwa

sunreader

if you cant get out of town this ancient relic can usually be found 10 yards inside the soi opposite soi 1 in loi kroh road

Looks like a Triumph Mayflower my dad had one about the same time,never went wrong he said.

Found this one being sold whilst visiting a local temple. Fell in love with it (also because the number 203 has a particular significance for me..silly as that sounds). But, sadly, it was for looking only. Know nowt about cars (or how to drive them :) ) I imagine a classic car takes a lot of looking after.

post-33493-1253696759_thumb.jpg

post-33493-1253696776_thumb.jpg

post-33493-1253696788_thumb.jpg

There are apparently a couple of collections in town besides the museum. One of the orchid farms in Mae Rim has a nice collection (sorry I forget the name) and there is a guy who displays his collection at the Mae Jo Agriculture Festival in November or December. He has 10 or so unusual antique cars.

sunreader

I see they were manufacured in Birmingham only from 1949-1953 your Dad's must have pretty new....its how one ends up in Thailand that interests me!...its like when you stumble upon an old English locomotive in some overgrown junglish part of Kanchanaburi...god how did this thing get here!....

David U (GT-Rider) and I were at the Ancient Car Museum yesterday.

post-3361-1253799604_thumb.jpg

There was nothing but a few rows of old, not antique, unrestored, and what I would call mostly junk cars.

post-3361-1253799559_thumb.jpg post-3361-1253800022_thumb.jpg post-3361-1253799582_thumb.jpg

There was not a single car that had been restored. Only a couple were even being worked on and they looked more like the staffs "drivers".

Here were the only two I picked out of much interest. They would make great rides, but I would not want to tackle the project in Thailand.

post-3361-1253799693_thumb.jpg post-3361-1253800112_thumb.jpg

Overall, I would say don't waste your time or money (we were let in free :) ).

post-3361-1253799723_thumb.jpg

post-3361-1253800313_thumb.jpg

Overall, I would say don't waste your time or money (we were let in free rolleyes.gif ).

I just walked in and started looking around. I later found out that David U had been hit up for the full admission. He paid for us both and didn't tell me. What a guy! :)

I am sure I would have just walked out again if I knew he was collecting admittance. I honestly didn't think it was even open.

I can say for certain that the collection at the Orchid Farm blows that away! I wish I could give directions to it. All I remember is that it is NOT the one on the same road as the monkey farm, snake farm, etc. I think it may be on a soi just before the one the main road. Also, you could ask around and find out where the collection is that is on display at the Mae Jo Agriculture Festival. As dave2 pointed out, the cars are functional and at t he start of the festival there is a caravan of the antique cars that begins at Pratu Thapae and ends up at Mae Jo University.

elektrified

re ... As dave2 pointed out, the cars are functional

and they have many other forms of transport in the parade as well, its quite a show

enjoy pics .... dave2

ps ... somchiCNX and sun reader .... the triumph was where it usually is last night

There are apparently a couple of collections in town besides the museum. One of the orchid farms in Mae Rim has a nice collection (sorry I forget the name) and there is a guy who displays his collection at the Mae Jo Agriculture Festival in November or December. He has 10 or so unusual antique cars.

CM has several collections, sadly the best are not open to the public and the Thai owners are Amazingly shy at taking the cars out.

The museum seems to have deteriorated (from the pics here) in the 9 months since I saw it last. It had a very good original Armstrong Siddeley Sapphire as its flagship, and behind that a pre-way diesel Hanomag saloon. Ugly, but rare, especially with right hand drive. Most of the rest is indeed unrestored dross.

The Orchid Farm is easy to find. It is just across the road from CM's 1st 5 star hotel, the Four Seasons at Mae Rim. The owner seems to take no interest in his lovely Jag Mk V saloon, several 50's Americans and a bubble car or two.

More northern stuff on the Classic Cars of Lanna website.

Found this one being sold whilst visiting a local temple. Fell in love with it (also because the number 203 has a particular significance for me..silly as that sounds). But, sadly, it was for looking only. Know nowt about cars (or how to drive them :) ) I imagine a classic car takes a lot of looking after.

This is a very smart and quite rare (in Asia) Peugeot estate and well worth preserving. Another in very bad condition was cut down and made into a US style 2 door custom coupe here in CM last year.

If this one is for sale, snap it up. But it won't be cheap!!