Busking In Thailand?

burnalot

New to Thailand...

does anyone know about whether I need a licence or not to busk?

I need to get some playing in, and don't want to be accidentally thrown in the can.

If I do in fact need a license, where7how do I go about getting one?

Thanks in advance for your help!

I've yet to see anyone busking in Thailand, apart from an "official" event held at Lumpini earlier this year and hugely attended. You would definitely need a work permit and you can be sure it is a profession not open to foreigners. And the chances of a Thai busker? Come one - they can't get past karaoke.

Every once in a while I see the same Farang playing his guitar in front of CP Tower during the day. He never seems to have a problem and I've noticed people putting money in his guitar case.

At JJ market you see many kids playing instruments in their school uniforms as well.

Not exactly the same,

but last July, on a trip to Penang, I met a German guy who did some mime acting at JJ market.

He get busted, spent nine months behind bars and he is now blacklisted.

If you pass through Batu Ferrenghi, you'll be able to see him, every evening or so.

As a foreigner you will not be allowed to get a work permit to busk. WP's are only given out to foreigners if it is a job or volanteer position that a Thai CANNOT do.

If your sitting in a park or somewhere else just playing your guitar and dont have your case open or look like you are looking for money I'm sure you will be ok.

Like the other posters here said, It would be the Thai's and other buskers that would most likely deal with you if they thought you were taking money out of their pockets and trust me that would NOT be a good scene.

I'm sure if you were sitting in a bar at Khao sarn rd (if that still exsists) playing, you would be semi ok too.

As a foreigner you will not be allowed to get a work permit to busk. WP's are only given out to foreigners if it is a job or volanteer position that a Thai CANNOT do.

If your sitting in a park or somewhere else just playing your guitar and dont have your case open or look like you are looking for money I'm sure you will be ok.

Like the other posters here said, It would be the Thai's and other buskers that would most likely deal with you if they thought you were taking money out of their pockets and trust me that would NOT be a good scene.

I'm sure if you were sitting in a bar at Khao sarn rd (if that still exsists) playing, you would be semi ok too.

The highlighted is incorrect, I could name at least 10 professions that Foreigners have obtained WP for and Thais do the exactly the same position