Bringing My Cue

this may sound like a stupid question, but better to ask and know!...but im makin the move soon ( not that part ) and bringin my pool cue...thing is i dont have a terribly large bag and space is an issue in it, but i doubt i can carry it on. Anyone brought th ier cue? do i just have to bite the bullet and buy a bigger bag or is thier an easy way...also little worried about my bag getting rifled through anyway, its an expensive cue

Is it a one-piece cue, or a two piece.

Two-piece, you might be able to carry on as it should have no issues in the overhead locker. Once piece might be a bit too long and awkward, which will mean checking it in. (In a hard case, marked fragile). i.e. a two-piece cue, in a case, is probably no less awkward than a non-collapsing umbrella, or the boxes of orchids they sell in duty free at Bangkok, and both of those would be permitted for carry-on.

Even with a two piece, it might be down to the mood of the person at check-in (assuming you don't hide it from them...).

However, if it's a really expensive cue, it might not be a good idea to take it to a hot humid country with termites. (i.e. If the termites don't get there first, it could warp if you're not careful with how you store it.)

Edited by bkk_mike

I brought two tennis racquets on the plane with me from the US in addition to my two carryons. If it is an expensive cue, it is almost certainly a two piece, so it should be no problem.

What airline are you flying ? Nearly all allow two or three large bags up to 50-60Kg free of charge in addition to your carryons.

This should be the easiest problem you will ever have concerning Thailand.

What airline are you flying ? Nearly all allow two or three large bags up to 50-60Kg free of charge in addition to your carryons.

What airline are you flying with. - I had to pay excess baggage with British Airways London->Bangkok one time, and I only checked in 32kg.

The "proper" limit in economy is 20kg checked in, in addition to what you carry on, but they'll usually let you take a bit more without charging. - but go beyond 10kg overlimit, and I know from personal experience that some airlines will charge.

(Note: This is of course if you're not talking about a flight you boarded in the US - the US has different rules for baggage than the rest of the world...)

Even if the airline will let you carry on something that size, check that they would allow a cue in your hand-baggage. Some airlines specifically prohibit cues from hand-baggage. In the current security climate in the US, I would expect that most US airlines wouldn't allow it.

Much better to contact the airline in advance to check rather than discovering the hard way at the airport :o

A friend of mine brought me a two piece snooker cue from UK two years ago. He is ex British Airways staff, however, there was No Way! the ground staff were going to let him on board with the cue as hand baggage (apparently it can be considered a weapon). They tagged it and told him he could collect it in BKK. He did and it was intact, damage free.

BTW, I'm still using it. Although still very badly.

this may sound like a stupid question, but better to ask and know!...but im makin the move soon ( not that part ) and bringin my pool cue...thing is i dont have a terribly large bag and space is an issue in it, but i doubt i can carry it on.  Anyone brought th ier cue? do i just have to bite the bullet and buy a bigger bag or is thier an easy way...also little worried about my bag getting rifled through anyway, its an expensive cue

I took a two piece from LHR to BKK last Dec. I had 2 check it in as luggage as it can be seen as a potential weapon.

On the way back I took a one piece in a wooden strengthened case and checked it in.

No probs with customs either way but I was concerned about getting it crushed like Stephen Hendry's cue did on Singapore air.

Only problem you'll find is a lack of a flat decent table and lack of decent opposition but they are there if you look hard enough.

so i guess im gonna just have to intrust it's safety to air canada? Its not so much it getting crushed im worried about, more so the sticky fingers of baggage handlers.

I figured it would be a long shot to even try to carry it on since i could club the pilots and take over the plane :o

anyways, on the same thought, wheres the best table in bangers? i heard mega break was pretty good but didnt peek in last time....

so i guess im gonna just have to intrust it's safety to air canada? Its not so much it getting crushed im worried about, more so the sticky fingers of baggage handlers.

I figured it would be a long shot to even try to carry it on since i could club the pilots and take over the plane :o

anyways, on the same thought, wheres the best table in bangers?  i heard mega break was pretty good but didnt peek in last time....

I too traveled Air Canada just this Feb. w/ a 2piece cue on a shoulder hardcase bag. I had no problems bringing it onboard as carryon, but maybe I was the exception...or they were charmed by my irresistible good looks! :D