Money Problems Lead To Englishman Attempting Suicide In His Jomtien Home.

Rimmer

Pattaya, September 22 [PATTAYA ONE NEWS] : On Tuesday Afternoon, Police and rescue services were called to a house at the Egmongkol Village 8 on the Tepprasit Road in Jomtien to assist an English Resident who had apparently attempted suicide. Mr. Robert Mark Bailey aged 51 from England was found lying on his bed and was foaming at the mouth after ingesting a glass of milk which had been laced with mosquito repellant and some unknown tablets. The man initially refused medical treatment and his attempted suicide was confirmed following the discovery of a note which stated that “Things have got to the last option” and “I have no money and cannot borrow any, so I can’t get back to England”. Police spoke with Khun Mantanna aged 32, the house owner who had come to collect rent from Mr. Bailey. He claimed that she would have to come back as he was waiting for his friend to pay back 40,000 Baht that he was owed. 15 minutes later, neighbors heard a commotion inside the house and called the Police who found Mr. Bailey in a semi-conscious state on his bed. Eventually Mr. Bailey was taken to Hospital and the British Embassy in Bangkok were made aware of the case.

Source:

http://www.pattayaone.net/news/2009/septem...2_09_52_2.shtml

A sad situation. One odd detail to me is that he used bug poison. This is quite a common method with local Thais but I don't recall ever hearing of a European foreigner trying that. I think even as the "last option" it is a painful choice. Hope he can get help to save his life.

Edited by Jingthing

A sad situation. One odd detail to me is that he used bug poison. This is quite a common method with local Thais but I don't recall ever hearing of a European foreigner trying that. I think even as the "last option" it is a painful choice. Hope he can get help to save his life.

"Hope he can get help to save his life"

And hopefully better help than he may have been given to end it :)

One odd detail to me is that he used bug poison. This is quite a common method with local Thais but I don't recall ever hearing of a European foreigner trying that.

I thought the preferred method was toilet cleaner?

In either case, quite a nasty experience for sure. However, with bug sprays, the active ingredient (poisonous stuff) is so dilute (how much poison do you think it takes to kill an ant or mosquito) in them that it would be very difficult to kill ones self by ingesting the stuff. Sure, you'll get sick but death would be unexpected.

Edited by PattayaBunLover