Farming Land In Kalasin

loveUThailand

I live in a small village about as far away from Kalasin Town as you can get and the prices seem to be around 50,000 baht per rai, if any is for sale. I have been looking now for over two years and the only land that was for sale was over a year and a half ago and that was irrigated rice land which they wanted 50,000 baht per rai, at the time I thought it was over priced and asked my wife to see if we could get it a little lower, well she got into a fight with the owners wife and said she wouldn't drop the price and she didn't want the land anyway. I knew the owner really needed the money and figured they would be back, because I didn't think anyone else would have the money. It turned out that two weeks later they sold to a guy from Taiwan. Issangeorge

Hi Issangeorge

thank q for you reply, according to your information the price is near about 50,000 bht per rai for the rice land.

As i am new in the farming field and i don't have any experience, would you please advise me that either rice farming is profitable and about how much i can earn per rai in a season.

Sorry to tell you that i have limited fonds. So i have to be much careful.

Have a nice time,

I think you'll find in almost anywhere in rural Thailand 50,000/Rai is what you'll pay for the land. If there is something on it, be it house/crops/tress. The price could easily double. If I here of anything down here I'll pm you. However if as you say your funds are limited, I'd be very careful.

Land is worth exactly whatever someone is willing to pay for it. That may sound like I am being a smart ass but there is no better way to explain it. We have a ten rai plot that MAY be worth 30,000 baht per rai and within a couple hundred meters of that land is another plot that they are asking 70,000 baht per rai. I had really thought that land prices would fall considering the economy, but I have not seen it. All I have seen is increases in asking prices. Several years ago we were offered 20 rai at 20,000 baht per rai, now it has recently been sold for 60,000 per rai.

Recently my wife spotted a nice piece of land that happened to be in a good location. It is planted with mature macaam trees. It has a chanote title and the asking price was 450,000 baht for 6.7 rai. By a good location, I mean that it is on a good wide paved road and about 500 meters from the electric supply. I sent my wife to make an offer of 400,000. It was turned down. When I told her to go back and buy it for the 450,000 baht asking price, it had already been sold. One never knows when it comes to land sales and prices.

Hi Issangeorge

thank q for you reply, according to your information the price is near about 50,000 bht per rai for the rice land.

As i am new in the farming field and i don't have any experience, would you please advise me that either rice farming is profitable and about how much i can earn per rai in a season.

Have a nice time,

Hopefully you are not thinking of trying to support yourself by growing rice in the Kalasin area.... I have lived here in Kalasin for about 8 years and most of my wife's family / relatives have various amounts of land growing rice, and none, I repeat, NONE are making enough money to truly live on unless you consider small Thai village Life as "Living"... If the land does not have access to irrigation water then you will be lucky to get more than one crop per year... Even if water is available no more than two and some years three crops per year, but still not enough to support a "Farang" at any decent level...

Pianoman

Edited by pianoman

then dont farm.

farming and limited funds and don't have any experience DO NOT = making money.

in any country. including thailand.

reread all the posts ont his forum for the past five years before u consider anything to do with land/farming and no experience.

this past april i went for the second time to see husband's land; we settled the chanote finally (yeah) and we got the chanotted land because we decided that the rai and cassava land we were given by MIL wasnt worth the effort. we traded that land with the sister in law and she gave us the chanoted land since she already has a land/house and wanted more agricultural land. the land has no irrigation, not near water, they dont have mechanical or buffalo powered anything, the parents are old, and two more sisters dont want to bother. we read the writing on the wall and it said: no farming, not worth it. i also trashed my idea/dream of goats (if any of u remember how i was gungoho on the idea a few years ago) in the far future, as well as thai cows (not enough grazing and no money for feed). we have no money and cannot farm by remote control as we are in israel and wont be going anywhere any time soon. all the peppers we planted with sister in law this past april died since the rains didnt continue until it was too late. a farmer's hazards.

our now chanoted land was originally rai for rice but went thru the whole change of status process. the land also went nicely underwater during the rains. we even caught fish in it. we have invested in land fill, doing it slowly. the land is near a stream, so for 'own use' veggies it will do.

CAVEAT EMPTOR.

bina

israel

our land!!!!

post-8751-1254209389_thumb.jpg

Crikey the prices everyone is talking about seem crazy. Farming land in my area of Chayapoum costs around 10,000 Baht/rai but is admitedly tricky to come across. you need to put out feelers and be in the right place at the right time. If you can find it then renting farming land for 500 Baht/rai/year is possible. Last year I paid up 35,000 up front to rent 15 rai for 5 years.

Growing cassava you can make about 2000 Baht/year/rai profit (assuming you are paying for labour and not doing it yourself) so you can get your money back in 5 years which is about right for any business. Of course you need to know what you are doing and that only comes with a bit of experience so maybe allow a bit longer.

The returns from farming cassava make prices of 50,000 Baht/rai out of the question. It would take 25 years to get your money back!

Don't know about rice though.

12 rai lamyai farm, trees 12 years old,( 220 +-trees) has electric, land fenced, water well, pond (fish) within 200 meter of highway, (northern Thailand) Under contract with 30% deposited final payment 2 to 3 weeks. 3.5 million. Was rice/garlic prior to trees being planted. Just some info on land price in some areas.

LoveuThailand, I don't think there is any money in growing rice, my wife's land is irrigated but they don't supply enough water for two crops, she gets one crop and then a crop of corn or peanuts. I have talked to the assistant president of the local university in Kalasin and he tells me that if planted properly you can get 10,000 kilograms per rai per year of cassava, at present prices of around 1.4 baht per killogram that will make you some money, but you would need a lot of land to make a farang type living. Issangeorge.

• 3 weeks later...

GENTLEMEN FARMING, seems to be out of the question here as all of the posters have stated. There is just no way,to get a return on your money equal to the bank at any percent. We all have ideas of giving our Thai gals self-substinance, but it just Ain't gonna happen here. I have done my research, have some experience in farming, agriculture, and business and the bottom line is, no way hosse" it you could steal the land, get free labor, and be a great straw boss, your chances of making a profit are slim at best.

Production land cost here is 4X that of America. Production per rai if dismal. My area, Louisiana, produces nearly 3X times per rai. My Thai wife has rice land, a little, wants more, surprise. I am going to buy instead, 2 pigs, 2 chickens, a milk cow, and a bad dog to watch them.

russ

GENTLEMEN FARMING, seems to be out of the question here as all of the posters have stated. There is just no way,to get a return on your money equal to the bank at any percent. We all have ideas of giving our Thai gals self-substinance, but it just Ain't gonna happen here. I have done my research, have some experience in farming, agriculture, and business and the bottom line is, no way hosse" it you could steal the land, get free labor, and be a great straw boss, your chances of making a profit are slim at best.

Production land cost here is 4X that of America. Production per rai if dismal. My area, Louisiana, produces nearly 3X times per rai. My Thai wife has rice land, a little, wants more, surprise. I am going to buy instead, 2 pigs, 2 chickens, a milk cow, and a bad dog to watch them.

russ

Oh yer ........... ???