10,000 Baht Atm Withdrawal Only Now?

This may be just a momentary glitch and is quite unsubstantiated, BUT...

I have successfully w/drawn 20,000 baht at a time from a local Kasikorn ATM here in Chiang Mai for the past three months and today I was refused. I know from trial and error that several banks have (always?) limited ATM w/drawls with foreign bank cards to 10,000 only (such as Siam Bank), and so, I knew that in due time Kasikorn would likely reduce it to that amount too. Obviously, to better milk those 150 baht fees from the foreign-card holder.

So, this is a casual request - anyone having luck taking out 20,000 baht at a time at a brand name Thai bank? I am aware that there is a vast 73 page posting that is relevant, but I just want to cut to the chase...

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Thai-Banks-S...25#entry2975460

Appreciate the fast replies - but - could you add the name of the bank you w/drew from too? Unless the implication is that you also used Kasikorn...

Thanks.

Bankok bank but also used Kasikorn a few days ago with my BKK bank card and no problems.

Were you just doing Fast cash?

If the machine only had 500 Baht notes left, it will only give you 10K

12.5k actually. All machines in Thailand will dispense a maximum of 25 notes in any single transaction, there was one time when I was at the only ATM for miles and withdrew 2.5k in 100's, big wad didn't last long!

No, wasn't Fast Cash. Also, tried a TMB ATM with similar results. I will try tomorrow and see if I have better luck. As I started by saying, this is really anecdotal/unsubstantiated/unscientific - just a shot in the dark to see if anyone had any info. It obviously could just be something wrong with my HSBC bank being offline for 10 mins. or any other number of factors. In any case, apologies for a half-baked posting.

I'll see what happens tomorrow - will try a bunch of banks, and report back. Cheers.

I use Krung Thai when in Pattaya, whole of August and september, no problem withdrawing 18,500 per transaction, 18, 500 roughly equates to GB pound £350 when taking into account ATM fee and bank charges which is the limit per day of my Yorkshire bank card.

Reason I use Krung Thai is because I know it accepts a maestro card.

Could be as already been said, ATM low on cash so limits what you can withdraw.

Bangkok bank let's me withdraw 25,000. per transaction. SCB 20,000.

So, went to Pantip Plaza (near Night Bizaar) and w/drew 25K baht from the ground floor ATM. What a relief!

Very much obliged for all the helpful replies. Obviously, there hasn't been a restriction to only 10K as I feared.

Land o' smiles, continues on...

Where can you find a Bangkok Bank to get 25k? In Phuket, we are having the same problem and can only get 10k!

No problem for me in Phuket to get 20.000 per transaction.

I used Kasikorn and the yellow ( sorry forgot name ) ATM at Central, Kathu, Patong and many more locations without problems.

Only time i have a problem is when the ATM is almost empty.

It may also depend on what type of card the country you are drawing on. ATM from US normally stops at 600 dollars.

With the fall of the dollar, 20000 baut is more than the 600 dollar limit because of the 150 baut fee, plus whatever

your bank may be charging. Credit cards allow more to draw out but rates are higher. :)

I have successfully w/drawn 20,000 baht at a time from a local Kasikorn ATM here in Chiang Mai for the past three months and today I was refused. I know from trial and error that several banks have (always?) limited ATM w/drawls with foreign bank cards to 10,000 only (such as Siam Bank), and so, I knew that in due time Kasikorn would likely reduce it to that amount too. Obviously, to better milk those 150 baht fees from the foreign-card holder.

So, this is a casual request - anyone having luck taking out 20,000 baht at a time at a brand name Thai bank? I am aware that there is a vast 73 page posting that is relevant, but I just want to cut to the chase...

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Thai-Banks-S...25#entry2975460

If you're using a local banking account and say from Kasikorn bank, you could simply contact the contact center and ask them to change the withdrawal limit per day. I've changed mine to withdraw up to 100K per day and it works. Only thing is i have to withdraw multiples of 20K in 5 transactions.

If the machine only had 500 Baht notes left, it will only give you 10K

12.5k actually. All machines in Thailand will dispense a maximum of 25 notes in any single transaction, there was one time when I was at the only ATM for miles and withdrew 2.5k in 100's, big wad didn't last long!

sorry, you are wrong

dependant on your banks own limits and the funds available, most major high street banks ATM's dispense only 20 notes except:

Bangkok Bank dispenses 25 notes

United Overseas Bank dispenses 30 notes

Aeon dispenses 40 notes

To put it succinctly, as has been noted above, there is NO 10,000 baht limit on Thai bank ATM withdrawals, in terms of any limit placed by the Thai bank itself or their ATMs.

I don't know if they all are 25K, or as a prior poster stated, mostly 25K and a few a bit more or less. But that is the general situation, in terms of what Thai banks and their ATMs do. And yes...if the machine is out of 1000 baht notes, then the most you will get that day will be 25 (or whatever) of 500 baht notes or sometimes even only 100 baht notes... I've had that happen before.

The only other factor to come into play here....is people's home country banks also have daily withdrawal limits on their ATM/debit cards... usually around $400 to $500 for U.S. banks, depending on the bank. No matter what Thai bank ATM you're using, you can't withdraw more in a 24 hour period than the particular limit set by your home bank.

I can lift 25,000 Baht at one time from my Bangkok Bank ATM - and I can do that twice in one day if I want!

Have successfully used the Government Savings Bank (the pink one) in Ban Phe (Rayong) to w/d 20,000 and NO 150 Baht FEE !!!!

I have done this many times here with complete success.

I believe the UOB Bank does not charge a fee.

Have also successfully opened a bank account at Kasikornbank with an international VISA Debit card. My name only, tourist wisa, 300 Bht fee to open. (100 for the acc, 200 for the card) and 200 annual fee for the card. 10Bht trans fee outside your local area where the acc was opened.

Am very happy with the excellent service at Kasikorn Bank however will nt use the foreign ATM card there as the 150 Baht fee pervades.

Hope this helps.

I believe the UOB Bank does not charge a fee.

FYI, UOB does now charge the 150 baht ATM withdrawal fee for foreign cards.

They were late to the game, trailing the other larger banks in launching the fee. But now they're the same as BKK Bank, SCB, Krung Thai and the others...

All except AEON and Government Savings Bank ATMs, which remain fee free.

Where can you find a Bangkok Bank to get 25k? In Phuket, we are having the same problem and can only get 10k!

I use bangkok bank in Kamala/Patong/Junk Ceylon and Central always 20,000 and never a problem

As previously stated, the limits are machine dependent (20/25/30/40 notes), cash dependent (maybe no Bt1000 notes) and user limit dependent (local or overseas). This thread comes up now and again when the use does not know what they are doing. My SCB accounts are Bt200,000 per day each through the machines and the Bangkok Bank accounts are Bt500,000 per day each. My non Thai accounts vary between £300 and $5000 per day each.