Non-imm O Marriage Visa (confused - Help Required)

Dear friends,

My wife and I would like to go back to Thailand and I am quite uneasy with the procedures to follow. I have been reading on Thaivisa that you would actually need 400,000 baht in a Thai bank account in order to get the Non-Imm O marriage visa or at least a monthly income of 40,000 baht. That's perfectly sound.

In order to open a Thai bank account, you are required a work permit and resident of Thailand, do you agree? This is the reponse from Siam Commercial Bank after that my wife had call them through skype. Therefore I would not be able to deposit my money in a Thai bank account.

Now, I have also read that you need to apply for a non-imm O wedding visa outside of Thailand before... Are you getting it? How is it possible to get a non-imm O wedding visa outside of Thailand if I cannot even open a Thai bank accoount to put my money there?

Isn't this

http://www.thaivisa.com/304.0.html

outdated already? I do not see the mentioning of the 400,000 bank account and 40,000 monthly income.

Also, I have read that the montly income is supposedly to vary between continents (E.g USA: 40,000, Africa: 25,000, Europe 40,000 and etc.) Can someone please confirm this?

I would be very grateful if you can enlightened me on my way back to Thailand with my wife.

Thanking you in advance.

-J

Yu don't rewuire money etc. to get a visa, you do need to show to get an extension of stay for 1 year, and every year after, from immigration in Thailand. When applying in Europa or USA you should not have any problems getting a non-O visa. You just show your marriage certificate and a letter from your wife together with a copy of her ID might be helpful.

The information you refer to is indeed outdated.

The monthly incoem is 40,000 when you apply for an extension of stay based on marriage to a Thai national. if you hoever apply for an extension of stay based on working in Thailand, the incoem requirement varries based pon your nationality.

The requirements to apply for extension of stay based on marriage (not a visa) are either 400k in thai bank account for 2 months prior to application or 40k/month income (it would seem the link you have referenced is not up to date).

You should have no problem opening a bank account in Thailand with a Thai wife. They will probably ask her to act as a reference for you. If your wife already has an account at a Thai bank then it is perhaps easier to go there. Some banks/branches are difficult, others are not. If you are not successful first time try the next bank in the street.

You should first apply for a single entry Non-O visa in your own country. That will give you a 90 day permission to stay on entering the country. You will need marriage certificate and letter from wife plus maybe her ID card. You do not need bank account open to do this. During the last 30 days of your permission to stay you can apply for your extension of stay. That will allow time for bank account opening/seasoning of funds if you are going the bank balance route.

Different monthly income figures do apply to people applying for extension of stay based on employment depending on their nationality. For a westerner that is 50k/month.

Edited by thaiphoon

Thanks a lot for the valuable responses.

So to sum up the feedbacks, I can go back to Thailand with a non-imm O from my home country and in the last 30 days of my stay, I can apply for the extension which will require the 400K bank account or the monthly 40,000 income (which varies on stay upon employment)

Further to my reading on Thaivisa, I have also understood that the work permit is quite a hazzle to apply and that I would require to find a job in a Thai company rather than some other nationals commerce. Is that right?

I am from Mauritius, a small island in the Indian Ocean far north-east-east South Africa and the country is considered as part of Africa. As such, can you please confirm what would be the monthly income (if I should use the employment route)?

Still thanking you in advance.

-J

Extension of stay based on marriage is 40k/month income

Extension of stay based on employment is variable depending upon nationality.

Country

Canada, Japan, United States 60,000 THB

Europe (incl. UK) Australia 50,000 THB

Hong Kong, Malaysia, Korea, Singapore, Taiwan 45,000 THB

China, India, Indonesia, Middle East, Philippines 35,000 THB

Africa, Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar, Vietnam 25,000 THB

Persons working for newspapers in Thailand 20,000 THB

So how does my non-imm O visa stand now?

I have just left my job having had my visa renewed last month for another year, based on the income from that job.

Does the O visa still stand good until its expiry next August as it has already been renewed? Or now that the income upon which it was extended has ceased from that source (there will be others soon that will more than cover the income requirement), will the visa be rescinded on my next 90 day check-in? Should I use a different province's imm office to check in, as the old employer will have talked to the local imm office? Cheers.

So how does my non-imm O visa stand now?

I have just left my job having had my visa renewed last month for another year, based on the income from that job.

Does the O visa still stand good until its expiry next August as it has already been renewed? Or now that the income upon which it was extended has ceased from that source (there will be others soon that will more than cover the income requirement), will the visa be rescinded on my next 90 day check-in? Should I use a different province's imm office to check in, as the old employer will have talked to the local imm office? Cheers.

Your extension is based on marriage, so losing your income has no consequence till you have to renew it next time. For you your permission of stay would end when your marriage ends (death or divorce).

In Singapore I was issued a Non-Immigrant O based on marriage, 12 months, multiple entry. I was required to show money in the bank (or income), the money did not have to be in a Thai bank account.

I had already opened a Thai bank account purely on the basis of a 30 day tourist visa-exemption.

The interpretation of the rules seems to vary depending upon where you are.

Good luck,

Mike

well about having 400,000 baht in your account before geting married to a thai girl is absolutely true and still more to do, not just the 400,000 baht alone, your girlfriend should tell you everything because she know it all very well.

My advice to you is about the thai bank account, you can get a thai bank account with Bangkok bank without the residence or work permit but this is possible only at the bangkok bank head office at silom, all you need to present is your passport and a driver's license. also if your girlfriend really wanna help she can take you to karsikorn bank and tell them to open an account for you to save your money which is very possible because my friend is using a tourist visa and his girlfriend took him to karsikorn bank and opened a savings account for him without the bank asking him for anything other than his passport copy not minding his tourist visa but i recommend Bangkok Bank head office to you. give it a try, i've been there and i know what am talking about.

Good luck!

In order to open a Thai bank account, you are required a work permit and resident of Thailand, do you agree? This is the reponse from Siam Commercial Bank after that my wife had call them through skype. Therefore I would not be able to deposit my money in a Thai bank account.

Try the different banks.

If one won't give you a savings account then try the next one down the street.

Now, I have also read that you need to apply for a non-imm O wedding visa outside of Thailand before...

Isn't this

outdated already? I do not see the mentioning of the 400,000 bank account and 40,000 monthly income.

You will be applying for a Non Immigrant visa at the embassy and all you need is your marriage certificate.

The money comes in 2 months after you arrive in Thailand and apply for a One Year extension based on your marriage

Also, I have read that the montly income is supposedly to vary between continents (E.g USA: 40,000, Africa: 25,000, Europe 40,000 and etc.) Can someone please confirm this?

These amounts do not apply to you.

They are for visa extensions based on employment

well about having 400,000 baht in your account before geting married to a thai girl is absolutely true and still more to do, not just the 400,000 baht alone, your girlfriend should tell you everything because she know it all very well.

My advice to you is about the thai bank account, you can get a thai bank account with Bangkok bank without the residence or work permit but this is possible only at the bangkok bank head office at silom, all you need to present is your passport and a driver's license. also if your girlfriend really wanna help she can take you to karsikorn bank and tell them to open an account for you to save your money which is very possible because my friend is using a tourist visa and his girlfriend took him to karsikorn bank and opened a savings account for him without the bank asking him for anything other than his passport copy not minding his tourist visa but i recommend Bangkok Bank head office to you. give it a try, i've been there and i know what am talking about.

Good luck!

Well, a Thai GF that knows very well the monetary requirements for a visa (O or R) is scary :)

The Silom BK Bank head office is very efficient,but many of us live outside Bangkok,and the branches aren't so well staffed.

Some can be,personal experience,a pain in the A**

Kasikorn Bank? Average.T.i .T. :D

"well about having 400,000 baht in your account before geting married to a thai girl is absolutely true[/b]..."

Not True. You can get married without money in the bank, or even without a bank account. The money is required when you get an extension of a visa based on being married to a Thai.

I agree with abdulrahman.

"Well, a Thai GF that knows very well the monetary requirements for a visa (O or R) is scary"

The first thing I'd wonder about is how she came to have that info. That's not something 99% of the populace would know.

Good luck!

Bangkok Bank Head Office in Silom also require a proof of address letter even if you already have an account there. Been there done that more than once and it never varies.

Kasikorn is more sensible.

As everyone else has said you dont need the 400k in the bank for the marriage itself. Been there done that too. In Bangkok.

Application for a non Imm O on the basis of marriage (not an extension of stay) requires a marraige certificate. Fancy that? No bank account required.

Once again thanks a lot for the valuable responses.

I'll discuss that with my wife and we'll see if moving back to Thailand is worth all the effort and hopefully, I'll not find myself doing border runs.

-J

Hello, I am from the UK. When I met my now Thai Wife, on the internet, I came here, for a 'looksee' - I had not been to thailand, ever before. I came with travellers cheques, and some Baht. I walked into the bangkok Bank, here in Ubonratchathani, and just opened a current account. No Problem - I was with a mate - a travelling companion - I am, or was then, 76 tears of age, my mate was 35. No problems, then, or since. Don

Dear friends,

My wife and I would like to go back to Thailand and I am quite uneasy with the procedures to follow. I have been reading on Thaivisa that you would actually need 400,000 baht in a Thai bank account in order to get the Non-Imm O marriage visa or at least a monthly income of 40,000 baht. That's perfectly sound.

Now, I have also read that you need to apply for a non-imm O wedding visa outside of Thailand before... Are you getting it? How is it possible to get a non-imm O wedding visa outside of Thailand if I cannot even open a Thai bank accoount to put my money there?

Isn't this

I would be very grateful if you can enlightened me on my way back to Thailand with my wife.

Thanking you in advance.

-J

Your 400, 000 baht need not be in a thai bank, that is, it can be in your local bank.

It can be a joint account, so long as you're one of the account holders.

What you need is just the visa application form itself, your marriage cert and your bank account statement.

The information i have given is based on my own experience.

I am from Singapore, i had recently applied for my visa O successfully .

I don't know if it is applicable to other nationalities. Hope this helps. :)

Edited by koosh

For a visa there is normally no requirement for any show of funds; or at least not above the normal 20k required for any non immigrant visa issue. Some will ask to see some funds to issue multi entry visas; however this is normally must less than 400k.

For extension of stay 400k is required in a Thai located bank account and should be in husbands name only under new policy of most offices.

For a visa there is normally no requirement for any show of funds; or at least not above the normal 20k required for any non immigrant visa issue. Some will ask to see some funds to issue multi entry visas; however this is normally must less than 400k.

For extension of stay 400k is required in a Thai located bank account and should be in husbands name only under new policy of most offices.

To clarify my own experience:

Initial application for non-o 1 year multiple entry (marriage), Singapore : 400k in any bank account, marriage cert, airticket.

Extension of same after one year, Phibun Mangsahan: 400k in Thai bank in my name only for at least 2 months, marriage cert, house book, wife's id.

Cheers,

Mike

edit> Koosh, agree with you, confusion comes from different requirements for extension when the original one expires

Edited by phibunmike

Dear friends,

Isn't this

Thanking you in advance.

-J

Dear friends,

Isn't this

Thanking you in advance.

-J

I have just recieved a Non immigrant O visa, 4x90 day entries.

I do not have any money in a Thai bank, just had to show my current bank statements and proof of my Aussie aged pension.

It cost me $A210 plus $A15 for photos at the Thai consul in Brisbane. They were very helpful and offered me any advice i needed.

If you are coming back to oz, try Brisbane, they are great !

Just one correction - the number of entries are unlimited (multi) not 4 I suspect. Each entry gets a 90 days permitted to stay stamp but you can leave/return anytime. A return one day before visa expires will still get you a new 90 day permitted to stay stamp.

I showed up to the Vancouver Thai embassy with my wife and 6-mon old daughter to apply for a triple entry tourist visa and was told for $175cad I could get a 1-yr.non-imm visa if I had the marriage license to show, there was no mention of needing to hold a bank account et.. Instead I insisted on the triple Tourist visa since it is 'free', but received a double... she said because they are free and won't issue a longer stay.

As usual, the short term Thai view misses the point that if I stay longer I will spend more money in the country. :)

Just one correction - the number of entries are unlimited (multi) not 4 I suspect. Each entry gets a 90 days permitted to stay stamp but you can leave/return anytime. A return one day before visa expires will still get you a new 90 day permitted to stay stamp.

Yes mate, i am looking at my PP now and the visa definately says "Good for multiple journeys" However perhaps i am misunderstanding it , as the 'kind lady' did say to me that ..Quote .. You have 4 x 90 days virtually giving you 15 months and that you can go in and out as often as you like during those times.

Can you please interpret this for me as it can be a little confusing and i would hate to stuff up.

Thanks. :)