Mandatory Gala Dinners

DarloKnight

Can anyone tell me if all hotels in Thailand charge for Gala Dinners on New Years Eve? We are looking at staying in either Krabi, Khao Lak or Ko lanta. Prices for the gala dinner are ranging from 4000 to 5500 baht one hotel charges 7000 baht. I can not justify these prices alo there is 3 of us so this is working out alot more than what we will be paying for the hotel room.

Can anyone recommend a hotel in any of these area's all we want is somewhere with a pool, near beach, clean and in walking distance to bars and places to eat.

Any advice please :)

Thanks

Julie

Can anyone tell me if all hotels in Thailand charge for Gala Dinners on New Years Eve? We are looking at staying in either Krabi, Khao Lak or Ko lanta. Prices for the gala dinner are ranging from 4000 to 5500 baht one hotel charges 7000 baht. I can not justify these prices alo there is 3 of us so this is working out alot more than what we will be paying for the hotel room.

Can anyone recommend a hotel in any of these area's all we want is somewhere with a pool, near beach, clean and in walking distance to bars and places to eat.

Thanks

Julie

Will do a little digging Julie. I can't stand this practice - forcing people to pay for something they do not want. Do you have a budget in mind for your hotel / resort - how long of stay - dates?

It's a common practice in Thailand and I stringently avoid any places that do it. You're a bit caught though if you are staying at the resort on New Year's Eve and they make attendance at the dinner compulsory. Hope you find a decent and reasonable alternative.

Thanks

Julie

Will do a little digging Julie. I can't stand this practice - forcing people to pay for something they do not want. Do you have a budget in mind for your hotel / resort - how long of stay - dates?

We arrive in Bangkok 0n the 26th December (not sure if we are foinf to stay in BKK 1 night) so I am looking to stay for either 6 or 7 nights checking out the 2nd January then we want to move on to another resort for a week. We would like to stay in any of the area's I mentioned on my original post. Its for 2 adults and a child aged 11, I know its high season but the gala dinner works out very expensive for a family of 3, I don't know how alot of people afford this! Our budget will be upto £800 for the 6-7 day stay, we normally go to Hua Hin and do not stay in the big hotels we like the smally Thai owned ones, we are hoping to find something cheaper for the 2nd week (fingers crossed).

Thank you in advance for your help. :D

No gala dinner at this place on Koh Lanta.

http://andalanta.com/

Thanks Rixalex

This looks really good and is very reasonable priced, just one question - do you know if its close to any places where you can go for a drink or get something to eat?

Many thanks

Julie

Not sure about that Julie. Perhaps someone who has been to Koh Lanta can advise.

I hope it is as i've booked to go their myself, on the basis of quite a lot of research, reading reviews and the like. It's rated highly so i think you'd enjoy it whatever.

Might see you there!

No gala dinner at this place on Koh Lanta.

http://andalanta.com/

Thanks Rixalex

This looks really good and is very reasonable priced, just one question - do you know if its close to any places where you can go for a drink or get something to eat?

Many thanks

Julie

Not sure about that Julie. Perhaps someone who has been to Koh Lanta can advise.

I hope it is as i've booked to go their myself, on the basis of quite a lot of research, reading reviews and the like. It's rated highly so i think you'd enjoy it whatever.

Might see you there!

Just emailed the hotel to see if they have any rooms available, got a feeling it may be fully booked :)

I will let you know.

Just emailed the hotel to see if they have any rooms available, got a feeling it may be fully booked :D

I will let you know.

Only booked myself a couple of weeks ago. Fingers crossed they can squeeze you in! :)

Just to let you know they can squeeze us in!! Showed my other half last night and he was impressed, going to email them back today. Thanks again for your help.