Samsung Sph-i700 Pocket Pc

HarryHacker

Advice needed please.

I'm not that smart on mobile phone/PCs so I need some helpful advice.

The one that has been recommended to me is the Samsung SPH-i700.

1) Can I buy that here in Thailand? (The Thailand web site is in Thai)

2) Any alternatives?

Many thanks

H H

Harry, these combined Organizer/Mobile phone toys are usually very expensive. They are also very clunky.

You can get a combination of a smaller, bluetooth/GPRS enabled standard phone + a bluetooth enabled Pocket/PalmPC for less money AND it gives you more freedom to just bring your phone when that's all you need, use the handheld while on the phone etc.

GPRS through Bluetooth is virtually transparent. I have a Ipaq 4300. I just whip it out, click "check mail" and it automatically connects to my GSM while it's still in my pocket, and through that to the Internet.

If you absolutely must have a combined gadget go for a Sony-Ericsson P910i instead. I think you'd probably be looking at 25,000+ either way.

Harry, these combined Organizer/Mobile phone toys are usually very expensive.  They are also very clunky.

You can get a combination of a smaller, bluetooth/GPRS enabled standard phone + a bluetooth enabled Pocket/PalmPC for less money AND it gives you more freedom to just bring your phone when that's all you need, use the handheld while on the phone etc. 

GPRS through Bluetooth is virtually transparent. I have a Ipaq 4300. I just whip it out, click "check mail" and it automatically connects to my GSM while it's still in my pocket, and through that to the Internet.

If you absolutely must have a combined gadget go for a Sony-Ericsson P910i instead. I think you'd probably be looking at 25,000+ either way.

Thanks much Mad,

Just the advice I need.

I don't know if it is possible on these combined phone/pda's to turn it on with out having the phone on...because if you cannot, it cannot be used while you are on the plane as a pda.

I have a dell axim X50v , which has both bluetooth and WiFi built in , and as madsere says to check email via GPRS I don't have to get my phone out , just connect via BT and away.

Incidentially I'm selling my HP Ipaq h4355 ... 13,000 baht. 6-8 months old, not a scratch, in original box with all manuals. etc. Includes 256MB SDRAM. Paid 23,000 for it in Tukcom.

I bought it to be able to do some emergency maintenance when the occational 5#!7 hits the fan while on the fairway, but it's turned out to not be completely useable (shell access over scp) and I really need a small laptop instead.

Edited by madsere