Testing, Retesting, Cheating And No Fail

Scott

I am talking about high school level and skipping isn't an option. Absences are taken very seriously.

Skipping is a regular event at my school. It isn't taken seriously by anyone other than a teacher who actually notices and cares and doesn't want to be responsible for trouble or injury the student gets into/has during his class period. When you report the incidents nothing is done about it but at least you are on record. When they then fail you will I think discover they aren't in the after school and weekend gigs either. That leaves you with the choices outlined. And you aptly point out, the teacher may suffer time and energy for no purpose as a result of the intial and continued giving a darn.

My school has a no fail and retest until pass policy and although it is against my western values, I have to realize I must follow through with what my employer sets as policy and remember "I'm not in Kansas anymore". We are required to submit names of students who miss two consecutive classes and names of those who are failing or are in danger of failing...at the mid-term mark.

Follow-up by our EP director with students' parents has taken place and achieved improvement in most cases. In the cases that haven't, I make the retest easy, but relevant, and take the average score of the test and retest(s) so that none are dismissed and all count in the computation of their grade. Some teachers only use the retest score which for me doesn't approach being equitable with the other students. At least by counting all test grades and averaging, every test has some significance and at least achieves some equality within the parameters of the no-fail and must retest structure. Some teachers have a maximum grade on the retest, no matter what the student scores. As long as you are consistent with all your students do whatever you think is best and within the school policy.

Edited by Martian

Last year and the year before we began failing students. We developed a remediation program for students in danger of failing that kicks in on the second of third week of the year. The cast of students in these mandatory classes changes based on improved or deteriorating performance. Several students ultimately failed and were made to come in over the summer break for self study and further testing. Most ultimately passing, but a few graduated the school with a failing grade in subjects the MoE states that a student can fail (additional mathematics in this case).

Things have changed now though. Parents were in an uproar. Our EP Head was nearly replaced. Word came down from on high at the beginning of the year that we were to immediately cease and desist the practice of failing students. So now we continue with the early remediation efforts, but we also provide retesting for all failed quizzes (for a reduced score), and allow late work to be handed in (also reduced in score). Extra credit can be given, differentiated to the actual level of the student so that they will at least benefit from doing the work. When, in the few inevitable cases students still fail, they are given further opportunities, but in no case will they ultimately fail. Failing students end up with precisely a 50/100.

A score of 50/100 is universally recognized in the Tertiary system as a failed course. Students with these marks in too many core subjects do not get admitted to top schools in Thailand. It seems to be the way that everyone can save face: parents, teachers, administrators, admissions officers, etc. Everyone knows the game and how to interpret marks given to students by their teachers. It is this simple fact that has allowed me to slug it out day after day this year with my integrity intact.

Edited by way2muchcoffee

I should add that once you can come to terms with the ground rules you can begin to seek strategies to help the academically weak or terminally lazy. A concerted effort by all teachers, with the support of admin, can help almost any student to legitimately pass a course. Creativity must be applied. And I don't mean creativity in marking the work. I mean creativity in establishing an infrastructure designed to ensure students do not slip through the cracks. We have had success this year with the policy mentioned in my above post. When I say success I do not mean the improved pass rate. I mean that weak students actually learn the material to the lowest level deemed acceptable by a 50-55% mark.

I believe that working for solutions begins by accepting the requirements set forth by an administration that is ultimately responsible for all aspects of a school. It is their school. They have the duty to set whatever policies they feel best suits their school. As teachers we have the duty to educate children. We, as employees, also have the duty to adhere to school policy. Improvements can be made, no matter what obstacles an administration may place in the path of teachers and students.

Edited by way2muchcoffee