Sticky Rice Woes-what Are The Correct Ingredients?

drayon

I've attempted several times to replicate mango sticky rice which I was buying in Bangkok when I was there, all of which tasted consistently the same when bought from either Carefour, or my local street vendor on Sukhumvit Soi 55 right round the corner from Thong Lo BTS.

I've been using imported Thai Coconut Milk, and Imported Thai Palm Sugar. I would like confirmation as to exactly what is used in Thailand because with these ingredients my sticky rice tastes absolutely nothing like the sticky rice in Bangkok nor does the coconut creme. I suspect this is due to to the Palm sugar. Do the Thai's use Coconut Palm Sugar or just plain old white sugar?

Making the rice itself is pretty simple and has no effect on the overall taste of the finished product. I don't even think the local vendor used specifically glutinous sticky rice, it just seemed to be normally cooked jasmine rice or sometimes black rice. sure it is sticky but this is because of the sauce mixed with the rice.

Anyone have any suggestions? I've searched this forum with no results.

I've attempted several times to replicate mango sticky rice which I was buying in Bangkok when I was there, all of which tasted consistently the same when bought from either Carefour, or my local street vendor on Sukhumvit Soi 55 right round the corner from Thong Lo BTS.

I've been using imported Thai Coconut Milk, and Imported Thai Palm Sugar. I would like confirmation as to exactly what is used in Thailand because with these ingredients my sticky rice tastes absolutely nothing like the sticky rice in Bangkok nor does the coconut creme. I suspect this is due to to the Palm sugar. Do the Thai's use Coconut Palm Sugar or just plain old white sugar?

Making the rice itself is pretty simple and has no effect on the overall taste of the finished product. I don't even think the local vendor used specifically glutinous sticky rice, it just seemed to be normally cooked jasmine rice or sometimes black rice. sure it is sticky but this is because of the sauce mixed with the rice.

Anyone have any suggestions? I've searched this forum with no results.

Wifey says put coconut milk and white granulated sugar into the sticky rice while hot, be sure and keep stirring with wooden spoon. Big pot rice, 2 cups sugar, 1 can coconut milk.

Edited by oldgeezer

You have to use sweet rice wich is called sticky rice.If you want to get the best taste.

1-ripe mango of the ok rong,or nam dok rai variety make the best.

2-sticky rice,already cooked

3-coconut milk,not water or cream but coconut milk

4-palm sugar

5-a touch of salt

mix coconut milk,palm sugar and salt together,bring to a simmer just long enough to desolve the sugar and salt.Be carfull not to boil or it will seperate and you have to throw it out and try again.

At this point you can either mix the liquid with the rice or as I prefer just pour some liquid over the mango and rice.What I have found is many people forget the salt and that maked a big difference.