Thai scooter tales - add yours

31 minutes ago, gomangosteen said:

Scooter life is great. Before moving here I'd always had bigger bikes, all the Japanese brands, two Harleys, a Cagiva and two new Triumphs.  Now an auto scooter! Such is life...

Why now a scooter?

If you 70 or older, then I might understand that.

But otherwise, IMHO, just buy a real bike. 

And those big boxes on the rear make the handling a lot worse. 

• Confused 12
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

34 minutes ago, gomangosteen said:

That didn't take long. The thread I linked goes some way towards explaining why people cease to post here.

I could afford any motorbike on the Thai market, but i choose not to, would not suit our purposes. 

My primary transport is pedal-power, 800-1000km per month.

MU-X and a Jazz if required.

But this thread was an attempt at scooter conversations (probably doomed as the whining experts arrive).

I posted my question because I try to understand why you would buy and ride such scooters.

I tried one of those things and personally I don't like it.

I understand when people ride them who don't know, and don't want to learn, how to use a clutch and gears.

I understand when old people ride them - they couldn't handle anything bigger.

I have difficulties understanding why anybody to knows how to ride a bike and is able to do that prefers a scooter like above.

Why don't you enlighten me - and probably many other like me? 

What is it what you like with those things?

Little engine, bad brakes, bad suspension, what's to like about that? 

• Confused 3
  • Sad 3
  • Agree 1

33 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I tried one of those things and personally I don't like it.

I understand when people ride them who don't know, and don't want to learn, how to use a clutch and gears.

"Personally don't like it."  🥱

I understand when people ride them who don't want to be bothered with a clutch and gears.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

39 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I have difficulties understanding why anybody to knows how to ride a bike and is able to do that prefers a scooter like above.

much easier than my cbr650 especially with age and the interest in out and out  acceleration has declined with age too

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Rampant Rabbit said:

much easier than my cbr650 especially with age and the interest in out and out  acceleration has declined with age too

Yes, you/we don't need 650cc, I understand that part.

But it's still nice to have decent brakes, decent suspension, etc. And as far as I see scooters don't have any of that.

24 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Mine as well. She's now an "expert" on Volts and watts. 🙄 

Now she's found a guy in town who will convert hers from 350 to 500 watts. We live near hills.

I'll have to build a fireproof bunker so she can charge it🤔

She looked into that to but decided that for the cost might as well get a bigger scooter. She started off with one with 2 batteries ( 250 watt ) but I just got her one with three batteries and 350 watt motor. This giver her a top speed of about 30 kph. Wouldn't want her going faster than that with her lack of skills. Rarely goes further than 1 kilometer. Good enough.

12 minutes ago, Denim said:

This giver her a top speed of about 30 kph. Wouldn't want her going faster than that with her lack of skills. Rarely goes further than 1 kilometer. Good enough.

For us it is the hills. To the main market occasionally is 2.5kms. 

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

Also nice to turn on a dime, park anywhere, carry a box of wine et al. Zoomer by name, zoomer by nature.

Ok, yes, I understand that park. Shopping around the corner.

But the original post also incudes something like this: 

4 hours ago, gomangosteen said:

many dirt and gravel roads, longest ride was 380km in a day (with pillion!)

Why do that on a scooted when can afford to do it on a real bike?

I think if you're not in a main city, then a maxi scooter is brilliant. 

They can handle long distances easily. Climb hills with ease and don't get blown around by big trucks. 

Comfort and power, what's not to like. 

59 minutes ago, CHdiver said:

Why don't you open a thread "Thai real motorbike tales"? First answer and you are totally beside the thread. 

Then, if I want something hot between my legs, the last thing I think about is a hot motorbike engine in an already very hot country. 

Now go and open your own tales thread and let us talk about scooters, would you please? Thank you.

Please have a look at the posts above your post.

You will see that many other members describe their life with bigger bikes.

And the last post above yours is a story with the last bike being a "BMW C600 (It's actually a 650 twin) maxi scooter". 

For me the summary of all those posts is: when I wasn't old, I liked big bikes. Now I am old I ride a scooter.

That's obviously ok. I understand that old men do that. Which answers my question from above.

• Agree 2

9 minutes ago, G Rex said:

My wife has a Honda PCX (sport(!)) . It is a good little scooter, and can be quite brisk with her 45kg frame aboard, however the pace slows drastically with my 95kg on board...

The bike never goes more than 5km from our home - I cannot imagine a long commute on this bike.

I prefer my big bikes - enough power to get away from the d#ckheds , and enough for me to be one too, if the mood arises! 

IMG_0493.jpeg

Thruxton, Street Twin? .... what's the 3rd bike? 

Very nice collection.... I'm envious! 

Edited by Korat Kiwi
Street Twin not fighter?