Kokubo Rock Ice

Heng

Any chemists in the house? I know the product has been around for years in Japan but it's only made its way into Thailand within the past 4-5 years.

Does anyone know why it melts slower than other brands of ice and even ice made in our freezers? Higher salt content in the water (but not high enough to taste the difference) ?

If anyone can answer this one for me, I can officially go back to my life having 'no worries or concerns' status again.... currently enjoying my 3rd glass of Weller and ice (Kokubo) this evening.

:)

Cool, thanks.

noting: no air entrapment = slower melting ice.

Now if I can only find a way to copy to process and sell it for less than 12 Baht a bag. Heng Cubes will also actually be cubes for a change, a monumental first for Thailand.

Cool, thanks.

Now if I can only find a way to copy to process and sell it for less than 12 Baht a bag. Heng Cubes will also actually be cubes for a change, a monumental first for Thailand.

:D

1. never heard of Kobuko rock ice before but...never too old to learn, right ? :)

2. Copy ?.......I suppose you know the factory in Thailand ? Not easy to beat them I suppose.

http://www.jcc.or.th/modules/d3forum/index.php?post_id=48

LaoPo

No magic, no chemistry, just pure, simple and safe physics.

By producing ice with less air entrapped you get a product with more density. That means the same size of the icecube will have more mass and hence will require more energy to melt - will take a bit longer/and or will cool more. What the Kokubo factory does is using demineralized water and then boil it once or twice or more and then use a careful freezing process to produce an ice with no air entrapped. The nice blue tint is added artificially.

You can try to make it yourself. Use demin water or filter your water, boil the water a short time, let it stand a bit and boil again - that will remove the air - then put the hot water into the mold for the icecubes and put it right into the fridge. It's really as simple as that. You will see that the icecubes produced like that will be crystal clear.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/809620/make_crystal_clear_ice/

Edited by TallForeigner

Just thing for someone who has everything, ice that melts slower. Why??????????? if it takes longer to melt it will have less cooling effect on the drink, seems rather pointless.

Of course, it depends on one's drinking preferences; I've always found it more enjoyable when the ice lasts longer before my drink is completely mixed with the melted ice.

Cool, thanks.

1. never heard of Kobuko rock ice before but...never too old to learn, right ? :)

2. Copy ?.......I suppose you know the factory in Thailand ? Not easy to beat them I suppose.

http://www.jcc.or.th/modules/d3forum/index.php?post_id=48

LaoPo

You can get it at Foodland, Villa, and even easier, just about any 7-11. Often sold out though, despite being priced 60-70% higher than the local 'straw ice,' believe it or not.

Was only kidding, there are literally thousands of local ice factories and I doubt it'll be long before the process is copied, particularly by any of the deep pocketed ones... like the Marine Fresher folks here in Pattaya for example.