The Top Designer From Apple Insults Buddhism

amkbkk

The Buddha said ...the wise are like the number of horns on a cow.....the unwise are like the number of hairs on a cow.

The ego is one of our biggest problems.... tied into the Non-self teachings....so those who feed and inflate their ego are running in the opposite direction to Nirvana....and are thus to be pitied ..

Edited by fabianfred

Yep, OK, so he’s a cock….

But what’s next, no drawings or cartoons?

No wait.. Morgan Freeman played God in a recent movie.. Isn’t that blasphemy?

I guess there is a difference in intention and arrogance plays quite a role - but the line is fine...

Believe what you believe in your heart - If you lived on a desert Island or were the only person left in the world, would you give 'two hoots' then ?

buddha would want us not to mind :D

:)

How can be something insulted, if it teaches forgiveness, emptiness, non-self?

I think the ad is hilarious and it's now up to buddhist clerics to decide... to go the

dhamma path or the slippery road of the Mohammed comics....and join the pack..

Jonathan Ive, senior vice president of industrial design at Apple replaces his face image into sacred Buddha's image. He also made Buddha hold the Apple Logo and Ipod in the image. When I saw that image, I was really bothered and irritated. It was really an act of Insulting to the Buddhism and Buddhists.

I agree, who cares. Isn't it the goal of buddhism to let go of things. if there's a reaction it would only bring down buddhism to the level of the other religions.

We all know what the world really is, no sweat over this.

Peace.

Just a couple of things to mention:

In the image the sig is Jesusdiaz.gizmodo. This is Jesus Diaz : http://twittorati.com/jesusdiaz. He is the senior associate at Gizmodo.

I dont see anything actually linking this image to Ipod, except a quote supposedly from Jonathan Ive and an image at gizmodo.com. So, if anything it really just points to being a stupid joke by Jesus Diaz, and nothing to do with Ipod branding. Not sure how Ipod will react if it is a joke..as i think its attracting quite a bit of upset.

Also, if it was done by Ipod/Johnathan Ive's it seems it was meant for as an inhouse joke and not for the public (by the wording of the quoted text).

But..um ..yeh..

------------

edit: OK, at the bottom of the original link, there is a link showing the original quote from Jonathan Ive: http://www.mediabistro.com/unbeige/quote_o...36677.asp?c=rss

This: ives.jpg

Seems to me that Jesus Diaz at gizmodo.com took that quote and created an image to go with it.

Geez..some of u guys are too fast to lynch the wrong person!

----

Also, going by the public comments on the gizmolink, there are a lot of angry people, who have directed their anger at Ipod. Some pretty strongly, some just saying they will never buy Ipods products. As, i imagine, that image was created by someone at gizmo.com, i think they should let people know that the image did not come from Ipod. I imagine Gizmo.com may land themselves in hot water over it if they do not.

Edited by eek

Jonathan Ive, senior vice president of industrial design at Apple replaces his face image into sacred Buddha's image. He also made Buddha hold the Apple Logo and Ipod in the image. When I saw that image, I was really bothered and irritated. It was really an act of Insulting to the Buddhism and Buddhists.

amkbkk, i think you should do a little bit of checking up first to make sure your facts are straight before you make accusations. :)

Also, its worth noting that on that link there are some pretty vicious comments directed at Jonathan Ive and Apple..as well as some other sites hosting the same image. I think gizmodo.com have a duty to put the record straight.

Everybody should be allowed to do or tell what he wants about any religion / believe and the ones who complains should be punished !

A Buddhist with a true understanding of the teachings would not want to criticize another's beliefs and would not mind what people did with the Buddha's image. The point here, though, is it is against Thai law to "insult" a religion - any religion. The government usually makes formal complaints about overseas companies using the Buddha's image in what they consider an insulting way.