Taxi Driver Charged

A 28 year old British woman has been raped and robbed after taking a taxi from Chaweng to Lamai, a taxi driver has been charged.

I wish the victim all the best for a speedy recovery.

Click on the link for the story in the British press.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/...plantation.html

Just saw it in the News, it supposed to have happened in Maret District/Lami..... Van Cab -

well, well well another act regarding "Amazing Thailand"!

Bigger Trouble, Yet in Tourist Thailand.

My sincere sympathy goes to this poor woman. I realize that the taxi driver has only been charged, but if convicted, I wish I was confident that the perpetrator will get a truly fitting punishment. Unfortunately, precedent has shown that crimes against foreigners are viewed as not being such a terrible thing, and the "poor desperate" Thai is often treated leniently.

Since the scams and violence against foreigners in Thailand are obviously out of control, and these problems are being exposed, I suspect we'll soon see some draconian measures by the Thai government to suppress the media, especially foreign media.

Edited by Beacher

A 28 year old British woman has been raped and robbed after taking a taxi from Chaweng to Lamai, a taxi driver has been charged.

What a horrific ordeal for the poor girl to go through. I hope those guilty are delt with severely. Scary to think there are people evil enough out there to carry out such an attack. They should be castrated without anesthetic.

More negative press regarding Samui is the last thing we need right now. But my thoughts are with the victim. I hope she can find strength to come to terms with what has happened and I wish her a speedy recovery.

Very sad indeed.

also in the Independant and Sunday Mail so well covered, feel sorry for the victim but many of the people arriving in Thailand do not realise how dangerous Samui is, i have given a lift to single female tourists in the early hours walking alone, drunk and wearing very revealing clothes.they simply do not understand how the Thai men view this. this does not justify the crime and she was very brave to report the cime, i suspect many do not or give up when the realise how the Thai police deal with such crimes.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/as...nd-1794403.html

In the Thai Rath they say the English girl was 31 and the Thai assailant 26. The taxi driver claims that he stopped working at midnight, parked his taxi up at home and went out for the evening with a Thai girl in his other car, a pick-up truck. The Thai girl backs up his story and said afterwards they retired for the night to a bungalow together. But police say that his taxi was captured on a close circuit TV camera passing a convenience store at 2 am, around the time of the incident.

The English girl later identified the driver in a police identity parade and they've taken him to Samui hospital for DNA testing to see if it matches that from the victim.

http://www.thairath.co.th/today/view/35897

http://www.thairath.co.th/content/region/35762

Edited by katana

Problem is that Sex crimes are not dealt very harshly in Thailand as in the west - there focus seems to be more on drugs.

Basically its nothing that a good 12" inch spanner around the guys head wouldn't fix - positive that the girl wasn't murdered and that they got the guy responsible - interesting to see the final outcome I guess.

I really do feel for the victim though:(

If Thaksin was here the accused would be tried > convicted > sentenced to death in less than week. As was the case with the scum that murdered Katherine Horton. I am just waiting for someone to blame the Burmese.

Another nail ....

It is very clear that the "media spotlight" is on Samui in particular at the moment, probably more so than ever before.

Edited by carmine

She is working as an English teacher but what the pappers dont say or make clear, is that her work is located on samui. The rapist is, if not born on the island, a very long time resident.

Rapists are not very popular anywhere on the globe and now since they cought him i doubt that he will get away that easy.

One rapist less and for some ppl amusement,one less taxidriver on this island.

Regards

Mr Lamai

I have deleted a couple of replies.True as they might have been, I do not think it's fair to post them in this thread .It's sensitive enough as it is, I thank you all & let's just stay on topic.

I know the lady. I just saw her two hours ago... Truly saddening.

To say that I am utterly disgusted is putting it mildly.

A conservative dressed, respected and respectable, married woman.

There will be quite the outcry if these two slide by easily on this one...

I am not feeling very Zen at the moment, if I had him in my hands right now,

I don't know how responsible I might remain...

Edited by animatic

In the Thai Rath they say the English girl was 31 and the Thai assailant 26. The taxi driver claims that he stopped working at midnight, parked his taxi up at home and went out for the evening with a Thai girl in his other car, a pick-up truck. The Thai girl backs up his story and said afterwards they retired for the night to a bungalow together. But police say that his taxi was captured on a close circuit TV camera passing a convenience store at 2 am, around the time of the incident.

The English girl later identified the driver in a police identity parade and they've taken him to Samui hospital for DNA testing to see if it matches that from the victim.

http://www.thairath.co.th/today/view/35897

http://www.thairath.co.th/content/region/35762

Can someone translate the last sentence, article in first link, 2nd paraghraph:

เนื่องจากเป็นการทำลายบรรยากาศการท่องเที่ยวของเกาะสมุยและประเทศชาติ

Google translate shows it as: Since tourism is destroying the atmosphere of Samui and the nation.

If that's how the Thai media look at this case, it will only be pursued if there's enough attention from abroad I'm afraid.....

...เหตุเกิดเมื่อคืนวันที่ 26 ก.ย.ที่ผ่านมา หลังรับแจ้งตำรวจระดมกำลังสืบสวนติดตามจับกุมโชเฟอร์หื่นกามเต็มที่ เนื่องจากเป็นการทำลายบรรยากาศการท่องเที่ยวของเกาะสมุยและประเทศชาติ...

...The incident occurred on the 26th September. After the police were notified, they mobilized all their resources to capture the driver due to the effect it would have in destroying tourism on Samui and in Thailand...

So they mean the crime would affect tourism, not tourism is destroying the island. At least, that's how I understood it.

Edited by katana

how is your friend recovering, do you know if they have charged the guy yet. he is Samui born and bred according to Thai news paper so chances of him getting off are high and i would hate to see that.

how is your friend recovering, do you know if they have charged the guy yet. he is Samui born and bred according to Thai news paper so chances of him getting off are high and i would hate to see that.

I share your concern but i have little doubt that , Samui born and bred or not, the mongrels responsible for this crime will be brought to justice and punished accordingly. There are many faults we could find re Samui's police but, in this instance, i dont think they are relevant.

I cant help but feel for the victim here and wonder if its appropriate to discuss what has happened to her on an open forum?

I share your concern but i have little doubt that , Samui born and bred or not, the mongrels responsible for this crime will be brought to justice and punished accordingly. There are many faults we could find re Samui's police but, in this instance, i dont think they are relevant.

I cant help but feel for the victim here and wonder if its appropriate to discuss what has happened to her on an open forum?

My sentiments smallprawn,I have let this thread run, as an awereness to a terrible crime that has been commited against a human being .As for discussion , it was in all the UK & some local press.

I think the message is out there & out of respect to the person concerned , I am closing the discussion, until further developments take place.

Rooo.