Why A Death Of Second Hand Venues In Thailand?

brahmburgers

There are a slew of consumer items not available 2nd hand in Thailand. Look at any 'classified' section in any American/European newspaper and you'll see what I mean. Thailand doesn't have any real classified sections in their newspapers - why is that? Neither do they have thrift stores with a variety of odds and ends such as clothes, furniture, knick knacks, appliances, CDs, stuffed toys, suitcases, games, books. Ok, maybe that's my problem: I like thrift stores, classified ad columns, and garage sales, and I shouldn't expect Thailand to adopt such western ways.

Granted, there are little hints of such things available 2nd hand in Thailand, but 98% of consumer items are available only at retail outlets. It doesn't matter to the folks with comfortable disposable incomes, but the hordes of poor folks get funneled in to retail and they don't even know there's a cheaper alternative, because retail is all they've ever been exposed to.

It's especially prescient re; back-to-school purchases. All parents, rich or poor, know they absolutely have to buy brand new clothes, shoes, backpacks and books for each child each year. There are no exceptions, and it's tough for poor folks. I know, because there are several families in my Thai village who ask me to go shopping with them annually because they know I'll foot the bill, which they could scant afford without my assistance. Then there are the thousands of similar families who simply don't send their kids to school, because they simply can't afford the required purchases.

It's especially prescient re; back-to-school purchases. All parents, rich or poor, know they absolutely have to buy brand new clothes, shoes, backpacks and books for each child each year. There are no exceptions, and it's tough for poor folks.

It's called greed.

There is a stigma attached to all second hand items here. My wife refuses to get a second hand car as she feels that maybe the previous owner may have done something bad and the car is now bad luck.

Also many Thais don't like making a loss on anything they buy, they will sell used items for the same price as new.

It's also called a lot of people use their goods items until they virtually have no second hand value and when they do, they simply pass them on a time or two to the less well off (often relatives or employees) who squeeze whatever little value there is left out of them. ...All the while practicing my greed is good Gordon Gekko monologue each morning in my office.

:)

I disagree with the premise. Second hand shops and markets are not rare and I can quite easily buy just about anything I need second hand. Loads of online classifieds too...in Thai. I agree that English sites like craigslist are pretty awful in Thailand though.

I agree with Heng. When a TV/DVD player etc. in our house becomes surplus to requirements my wife usually gives it to one of her staff either free or for a nominal fee. I recently bought a new PC so just gave the old one to my niece who'd just started uni.

I too always hunt classifieds sites and second hand stuff, the UK has free advert papers which always have oddball stuff in them..

But I find Thais seem to ask 'almost new' prices on second hand.. Makes no sense.. Saw a surf canoe being sold second hand, I had seen them for sale high 20's brand new and when I stopped and asked, thinking hey under 10k and I will take that, turned out the seller is demanding 30k for it.. I explained (nicely.. smiling) they were cheaper new in the store and he just got in a huff, shouted something rude and stomped off to the back of his store (what happened to the always remain smiling and polite shit :))... Same thing at a few general second hand places, why would I pay 5k for an old fridge when a new one is 6k with a warranty.

I agree with Heng. When a TV/DVD player etc. in our house becomes surplus to requirements my wife usually gives it to one of her staff either free or for a nominal fee. I recently bought a new PC so just gave the old one to my niece who'd just started uni.

Yeah, it's probably a combination of: many locals (not all surely) are actually less wasteful along with the usual element in society that does prefer to buy new (hardly a Thai trait).

I still have the second computer I ever owned in Thailand from 2001 running in my office (have replaced the CMOS battery twice) with a 'massive' 10 gb hard disk and processor speed of 750 Mhz. I plan to announce a BIG second hand sale/auction when the hard disk finally fails... My clothes, when I retire them, I just put them in a bag next to the trash cans at the front of our property, on average it takes less than the time for someone to walk back to my house from the street before the bag to disappear. Sorted, recycled.

Not sure why anyone would make a big deal of 'why don't you sell your second hand goods to people who are also middle class instead of giving them away to the less fortunate?'

the thing I miss most in Thailand is that Ebay or ebay like options are not developed. Stateside if I wanted to sell something when I want to upgrade to newer model or pick something up cheap then ebay is so great. Just click and it shows up in the mail or UPS etc in a few days.

Could be a longtime before Thailand breaks down its trade barriers and let's that work. Lots of inefficiency in the Thai system.

The other day I bought a Waterpik dental machine thing here in CM and paid nearly 3 times what it would have cost on ebay in the US. Rediculous but I bit the bullet since I needed the 220v model and didn't want to hassle with customs and shipping.

I suspect there are lots of powerful interests in Thailand that don't want market efficiency because it would kill their easy margins.

True for people who don't maintain their cars. Less true for people who know that it's more financially sound to continue to take your car(s) to the dealership for 15-20 years at regular intervals (and even more so when you have a qualified mechanic or private garage) than to buy a new one every 6-7 years. Metal depreciates to near zero, hence the saying 'lao si lek, jek si din' (Laotians buy steel, Chinamen buy property).

Funny how I see that 'notice' a lot after my posts, hope it wasn't directed at me. Feel free to PM directly if you'd like an amusing response.

But Heng, you did notice that your post wasn't deleted. Not sure if you consider that a compliment or not.

Back OT. I have no issue with buying something second hand - like a washing machine, bbq, even a microwave.

Second hand underwear - if they look like mine - will stay off the 'deal of week' list thanks.

I too always hunt classifieds sites and second hand stuff, the UK has free advert papers which always have oddball stuff in them..

But I find Thais seem to ask 'almost new' prices on second hand.. Makes no sense.. Saw a surf canoe being sold second hand, I had seen them for sale high 20's brand new and when I stopped and asked, thinking hey under 10k and I will take that, turned out the seller is demanding 30k for it.. I explained (nicely.. smiling) they were cheaper new in the store and he just got in a huff, shouted something rude and stomped off to the back of his store (what happened to the always remain smiling and polite shit :))... Same thing at a few general second hand places, why would I pay 5k for an old fridge when a new one is 6k with a warranty.

I wanted to buy an old Honda NSR 150 for a town run-about bike. Saw one in a bike shop near me and thought I would ask the price, guy told me 55K, I burst out laughing, knowing that a new Honda CBR costs around 60K and he wants to sell me a 15 year old bike for nearly that price. He also didn't take it very well and muttered "Farang Kee Nok" before storming off into his office in the back of the shop.

I wanted to buy an old Honda NSR 150 for a town run-about bike. Saw one in a bike shop near me and thought I would ask the price, guy told me 55K, I burst out laughing, knowing that a new Honda CBR costs around 60K and he wants to sell me a 15 year old bike for nearly that price. He also didn't take it very well and muttered "Farang Kee Nok" before storming off into his office in the back of the shop.

It's an antique mate, they cost more.

the thing I miss most in Thailand is that Ebay or ebay like options are not developed. Stateside if I wanted to sell something when I want to upgrade to newer model or pick something up cheap then ebay is so great. Just click and it shows up in the mail or UPS etc in a few days.

Could be a longtime before Thailand breaks down its trade barriers and let's that work. Lots of inefficiency in the Thai system.

The other day I bought a Waterpik dental machine thing here in CM and paid nearly 3 times what it would have cost on ebay in the US. Rediculous but I bit the bullet since I needed the 220v model and didn't want to hassle with customs and shipping.

I suspect there are lots of powerful interests in Thailand that don't want market efficiency because it would kill their easy margins.

if thai was efficient it wouldnt be such a cheap place to hang out. dont rattle the cages!

http://www.pantipmarket.com/

Took about 10 seconds to find a store selling Waterpiks for 700-4000 baht

http://www.pantipmarket.com/

Took about 10 seconds to find a store selling Waterpiks for 700-4000 baht

thanks for that. They only had the model I bought for 200 baht less so I feel better about my purchase. Will definitely use Pantip in the future to gauge what a fair price is in Thailand. Still scandalously higher than Ebay but very helpful.

Thanks !!!!

... My clothes, when I retire them, I just put them in a bag next to the trash cans at the front of our property, on average it takes less than the time for someone to walk back to my house from the street before the bag to disappear. Sorted, recycled.

:D

:) I remember my computer chair broke so I put it out next to the bin. God's honest truth I went indoors, picked up my car keys, locked the house, reversed my car out of the drive and it had gone. 2 minutes max.

I asked the (second hand goods) question to a thai female once..got words to this effect..

"I no like used car,will fall apart or break down on highway"...(she actually really believed this)

"We no have second hand store here,many people donate older appliances to monks"

I have gotten a different answer to this, that you should only donate new items to monks to show respect. I wish the wats (or some society as an adjunct to the wats) would organise community outreach programs across the kingdom, and set up something similar to the salvation army where people could drop off old clothes, books, appliances, etc. These items wouldn't be for the monks (unless they wanted them), but distributed to the rural poor who really need it.

I do the "old clothes in a clear plastic bag next to the garbage bins" thing too, but while I like helping the urban poor, I wish some of this would trickle down to the rural poor as well. I think the wats would serve as the perfect network for this.

I disagree with the premise. Second hand shops and markets are not rare and I can quite easily buy just about anything I need second hand. Loads of online classifieds too...in Thai. I agree that English sites like craigslist are pretty awful in Thailand though.

I suspect you live in a large Thai city. In my medium sized city (Chiang Rai) there are loads of items that cannot be found 2nd hand. When I return from visits to the States, I stuff two large suitcases with thrift store items. When I get back, a bunch of neighbors show up as it's like Xmas with me as S.Claus giving away items while everyone is gleeful. The items in those two suitcases cost $30 max. The same items in Thailand would cost about $700. I'm talking about roller skates, computer add-ons, nice quality clothes, shoes, hand tools, lingerie, stuffed toys, etc. Everything is like-new quality. Even Mexicans cross in to US border towns - just to shop at thrift stores because the prices and variety are good. I've seen them going back to Mexico with their cars and trucks filled to the brim. It Thailand bordered the States, it would be the same, because the same items are several times more costly here than the States, if they can be found at all.

I agree with LivinLOS, there's plenty of 2nd hand shops around Pattaya but the prices are near new prices but without a warranty.

I agree with both above posts. Retailers would freak if thrift stores and garage sales became prevalent in Thailand.

Also, 2nd hand items in Thailand are often at or near 'new' prices. Same for re-cycle yard. I used to go to look for re-bar, plumbing pipes, misc metal things, but the prices they ask at the re-cycle yard are comparable to new prices, so I'll just purchase new, though I'd rather purchase 2nd hand as it's environmentally better. Besides, it should be cheaper, but the greed of the scrap sellers precludes that - even though they wind up getting a lot less per kilo (than they ask from farang) from the bigger scrap dealers they sell to by the truckload.

All my second hand stuff goes to the relatives. Whenever I visit either grandma's house or my sister in law's place i see loads of stuff that I purchased. Occasionally my wife gives stuff that is almost brand new that we still use without bothering to tell me. Mostly it's her stuff, but sometimes mine, and that causes friction. Oh well. They need it more than I do I guess, and the inconvenience to me pales in comparison with the convenience it provides to the relatives.

Funny how I see that 'notice' a lot after my posts, hope it wasn't directed at me. Feel free to PM directly if you'd like an amusing response.

:D

But Heng, you did notice that your post wasn't deleted. Not sure if you consider that a compliment or not.

Why would anyone want to delete the beacons of light that are my posts? What's a compliment? Is it like tribute?

I think it's been pretty well summarized though... yes, Thais do buy used (pantip.com, Klong Tom, pawnshops, car boot sales galore, lots of areas of JJ Market, a fairly developed used car industry, etc.), just maybe not the ones that you happened to get to know.