Safe Deposit Box.

rogercw

I don't know if you'd be happy with a safety box somewhere other than a bank? There's a very good, reliable, farang-owned place next to the reception at Jomtien Complex Condo. I've had a safety box there for 5 years, and I have never had a problem. The condo has 24 hour security of course. It may not be quite as safe as a bank, still it's pretty dam_n secure. They have a range of sizes starting at 400 Baht a month for the smallest one.

I would be pretty skeptical of trusting any bank safety deposit box or private safety box in Thailand. I mean, do you really think there is only one set of keys to the boxes? And if your box was emptied out, you can't prove anything was in there in the first place since by definition, the box's contents are confidential.

Assuming you live in Pattaya, why not invest in a home safe or better yet, keep really valuable items and papers in a box in your home country?

My room safe broke once and I had to get a locksmith to open it. It only took him about twenty seconds to get in. Hit a punch to knock out the key-lock and reach in with a pick to trip the main lock. My girl is accumulating gold and I would like a better place to keep it. A real safe deposit box in a real bank seems like the thing to me. Back home almost every bank has them but it appears to not be so here.

I agree that you need to be careful when deciding to use a safety box, but you shouldn't become paranoid (even if they're all out to get you...). I keep cash in my safety box in Jomtien, usually something between £5,000 and £10,000 in Sterling, US dollars, and Baht. In five years nothing has ever gone missing, which is why I can recommend this place. It's a farang owned, long-term business - I wouldn't trust some of the new shops offering safety boxes that have popped up recently. How long will they stay in business?

As far as having a safe in your room or house, that's fine for small amounts, but there have been too many tales over the years of break-ins and people being forced at gun or knife point to open their safes for the robbers. I certainly wouldn't keep more than I could easily afford to lose in my room.

But as they say, "Up to you".