Typhoon Ketsana: Thailand On Full Alert For Flash Floods

george

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Any Typhoon's that hit Philippines, HK, China or Vietnam Will never cause that much damage to Thailand. As a Typhoon requires Warm water to intensify and maintain it's strength. Once it is over land it loses that ability it therefore dies out to a Tropical Depression.

Some Rain and Some Medium strength winds NOTHING compared to the Typhoon risk areas. It may seem bad in Thailand when it hits but it's not that intense really in comparison. Ketsana now is only 1000hpa and 30kt winds.....It will be a weak Tropical depression by this evening.

Don't buy into the media hype of a Typhoon hitting Thailand - total <deleted>.

Edited by namoo

And to think I was on the forum a few days ago asking about swimming pools in Ubon. I flew in yesterday in the morning and all I have seen in Ubon is the rain. At this rate I may just put on my swim suit and head for the street. I will save a lot of money that way on swimming pool entrance fees.

Good idea, except with all the sewage etc floating in the flooded streets, make sure to clean up your feet very well afterwards, especially if you have any cuts and scrapes on them.

:D
Think I will go shopping tomorrow morning to stock up on supplies.

Go tonight tomorrow will be too late !

Typical knee-jerk reactions the media have come to expect and count on.

Perhaps you are both suited to jobs in politics.

SNAFU :)

Agreed, just wait till mid-Oct, mid-Nov when the typhoon season officially starts once the monsoon has dropped further South, based on what we are seeing now, would expect to see quite an active typhoon season, whether we have one in the gulf of thailand remains to be seen, but we havent had one for a few years, so would think the odds are on this year...

Does anyone know how Ko Tao is doing ? Or If the high speed catamarans are going to stop service? Thanks.

Wouldnt have thought so, based on the weather report I have on my desk right now coastal conditions 0.7m to 0.9m with a 12-16 knt wind...mill pond conditions... :)

Phuket storms caused by killer typhoon

phuket-Typhoon-Ketsama-moving-through-the-Western-Pacific-Ocean-Image-courtesy-SeaWiFS-Project-NASAGoddard-Space-Flight-Center-and-ORBIMAGE-1-GajdTZg.jpg

Dense rain and strong winds from the outer rings of Typhoon

Ketsana lash Cape Panwa on the south-east coast of Phuket.

PHUKET CITY: -- The rain lashing down on Phuket this week is not normal monsoon rain but the outer rings of Typhoon Ketsana, which arrived in Thailand today, according to Phuket Meteorological Office.

Phuket Meteorological Officer Sophon Sanggaew said the conditions would persist for another two or three days.

Typhoon Ketsana was downgraded to a tropical storm after making landfall in Ubon Ratchathani province this morning with sustained winds of 55 kilometers per hour.

Before arriving in Thailand Typhoon Ketsana devastated the Philippines, leaving 246 dead, and caused extensive damage and flooding in Cambodia and Vietnam, killing another 49 people.

Moving west at a speed of 15 kilometers per hour, the typhoon is expected to weaken as it passes through the northeastern region of Thailand, but will dump a lot of rain.

Meanwhile the southwest monsoon over the Andaman Sea and Gulf of Thailand is also intensifying, with strong winds and waves likely to reach a height of 2 to 3 meters.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2009-09-30

just wait till mid-Oct, mid-Nov when the typhoon season officially starts

emm...That is the end of the typhoon season as far as I am aware. :D

No its not for Thailand... :)

The monsoon moves South over the next few weeks, typically 1st Nov to end Jan is the "official" season but over last two years appears to be starting a bit earlier, so would guess this season we may be looking at a mid-oct start.. :D

Any Typhoon's that hit Philippines, HK, China or Vietnam Will never cause that much damage to Thailand. As a Typhoon requires Warm water to intensify and maintain it's strength. Once it is over land it loses that ability it therefore dies out to a Tropical Depression.

Some Rain and Some Medium strength winds NOTHING compared to the Typhoon risk areas. It may seem bad in Thailand when it hits but it's not that intense really in comparison. Ketsana now is only 1000hpa and 30kt winds.....It will be a weak Tropical depression by this evening.

Don't buy into the media hype of a Typhoon hitting Thailand - total <deleted>.

You've seem to have missed the point.

A Tropical depression is not just a passing shower. The slower these depressions move the more rain falls. Its likely that many rivers could burst their banks threatening to deluge many villages and roads.

Everyone realizes that the winds will be minimal.

Why is everyone in Bangkok and those planning on travelling to bangkok so bloody scared? Relax people Bangkok is in the south but I guess you bangkok people have the map upside down. There is more to Thailand than Bangkok, and Pattaya.

If you think bkk is going to escape untouched think again.

Even if BKK is not hit directly most flooding here comes from the runoff waters that come down from the North and Northeast.

It appears the BMA is preparing very well for it. We have a Khlong behind our house (in Tungkruh) which is about 2mtr deep and in the last 12 hours the water level has dropped by almost 1 mtr, an indication that they are pumping water out.

opalhort

No its not for Thailand...

The monsoon moves South over the next few weeks, typically 1st Nov to end Jan is the "official" season but over last two years appears to be starting a bit earlier, so would guess this season we may be looking at a mid-oct start..

Thailand does NOT have a TYPHOON SEASON. The Typhoon season is May-Aug/Sep. I think you are confused about the term Typhoon.

Thailand is not in a Typhoon Belt and therefore does not have a Typhoon season.

A Tropical depression is not just a passing shower. The slower these depressions move the more rain falls. Its likely that many rivers could burst their banks threatening to deluge many villages and roads.

My point is the media hype. Typhoon hits Thailand nonsense. I am well aware what a TD is it brings rain and IN COMPARISON to what hits HK, China, Vietnam, Philippines - A TD by the time it gets to Thailand borders is VERY WEAK.

Edited by namoo

It's expected to hit the NorthEast and the North, but everything people in this thread are talking about (incl. 95% of the article) is Bangkok. Somebody around here a little selfcentered maybe?

I thought that as well.

It could simply be that mainly Bankokians are commenting! How on earth can you deduce that the comments are self-centred in that case?

It's expected to hit the NorthEast and the North, but everything people in this thread are talking about (incl. 95% of the article) is Bangkok. Somebody around here a little selfcentered maybe?

I live in Chiangmai but understand that naturally someone who lives in Bankok or Pattaya are going to be concerned with

what is going on in their area. Besides, your 95% observation is absurd. What a prig!!! :)

The monsoon moves South over the next few weeks, typically 1st Nov to end Jan is the "official" season but over last two years appears to be starting a bit earlier, so would guess this season we may be looking at a mid-oct start..

Thailand does NOT have a TYPHOON SEASON. The Typhoon season is May-Aug/Sep. I think you are confused about the term Typhoon.

My point is the media hype. Typhoon hits Thailand nonsense. I am well aware what a TD is it brings rain and IN COMPARISON to what hits HK, China, Vietnam, Philippines - A TD by the time it gets to Thailand borders is VERY WEAK.

Well thats ok then.

I'm sure everyone living in the affected areas who are powerless to prevent 4 foot of water flooding their homes will be reassured by your wisdom.

KETSANA

Typhoon weakens, becoming tropical depression

Typhoon "Ketsana" has been downgraded to a tropical depression status when it hits Ubon Ratchathani province on Wednesday morning, weather department said.

The department ssaid it was moving west at a speed of 15km/hr, it is forecast to pass over Ubon Ratchathani, Si Sa Ket, Surin, Burirum and Nakhon Ratchasima, causing strong winds and widespread rainfall.

Ubon Ratchathani's 25 districts were underwater as flash flood hit the areas.

While the water level in the Mun River has increased, it is not threatening communities or farmlands.

Thailand's lower northern and central provinces will be influenced by the storm by Wednesday afternoon.

Local residents in low-lying at-risk areas in the Northeast, the East and the South should be on alert for a possible flash flood.

Strong winds and higher waves are likely with at 2 to 3 metres. Shipping is advised to proceed with caution, while fishing boats and other small craft in the Andaman Sea and the Gulf of Thailand should remain in port.

Tropical storm Ketsana struck the Philippines Saturday, causing floods and affecting more than two million people, with the death toll reaching 245. Upgraded to typhoon status, it was intensified and hit Vietnam on Tuesday, killing at least 41 people.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/09/30

Here in Borabu we have been hit hard with the rain, it is still coming down, about 1 kilometer from the house there is a bridge, the water is about 18 inches below the bridge now, the locals seemed to be worried about the bridge. It is much lighter out now, i hope the rain ends soon.

Don't think he was saying there was a Typoon Season; he was referring to the monsoon that moves through the Gulf of Thailand each year about this time. There have been occurrences where a typhoon as come up in the Gulf during this time. People that are involved in Gulf of Thailand offshore work are well familiar with the weather patterns.

Typhoon Gay (1989)

TH

Actually think you are the one that is confused, I know exactly what a typhoon is.. :) ...I have been in one in the Gulf of Thailand, and guess when it was ??...Nov/Dec...

As stated earlier, during this time of the year, the monsoon moves South and Typhoon can and do form, and can and do track into the Gulf of Thailand and the offcial season starts Nov 1st and runs to end Jan.

FYI These are not facts I have pulled off Wikipedia

For reference about 18 years a vessel was hit with typhoon in the gulf and was turned turtle and many people killed.

If you wish I can get our metorologist to provide you all the info you require on this.. :D

Over to you...

Well could you please give me a reference where it states that Thailand's Typhoon Season is from Nov 1st to Jan......

Just because a one off typhoon hit thailand 20 years ago or a vessel got turned over in the gulf 18 years ago - does not mean Thailand has a Typhoon season.

Look mate I think I know having studied climatology and operate in the dam_n things every year......Don't try and tell me there is a Typhoon season in Thailand it does not exist full stop. It's not in the typhoon belt. Any climatologist worth his salt will tell u that.

1 or 2 every 20 years does not make a season......end of story. Let me think how many times have I operated around/avoided a typhoon in thailand in the last 10 years......emmmm NEVER! How many times has air travel in Thailand been disrupted due to a Typhoon in the last 10 years....emmmmm NEVER.

How often do u see Typhoon warning issued on TV / Radio in Thailand as per China, HK, Vietnam, Taiwan, Japan - emmmm NEVER. Is there a Typhoon warning system for the general public in Thailand with Typhoon coding and advice...emmm nope. Ask yourself why because there is no bloody typhoon season :D

I give up ThaiVisa armchair forum experts......if it makes u happy yeah your right Thailand has a Typhoon season and gets battered every year by multiple typhoons passing through causing massive destruction and closing the ports and airports. (or was that the PAD) :D

Case closed :) Must dash have to go tie down the BBQ and the sun loungers before the next one makes landfall.

Edited by namoo