Ups Problem

webfact

Getting very hot and 29% charge is a good sign that the batteries are done. How old is it?

Best to disconnect it now (if this is just your home PC) as it likely won't last but a fraction of the reported 29% anyway, and being hot means it's sucking up a lot of juice which is wasted energy as you won't be getting anything from it if it's needed.

With APC units, I've been able to get 2 - 3 years out of the stock batteries before their charge started dropping fast, just as you've noticed with yours.

One of my UPS "Powermatic Powercom" is getting very hot.

Model: IMD-525AP/1000AP

Battery charging level shows only 29%.

Is this an indicator for "disaster will strike very soon" ? Faulty battery?

The control monitor does not show any other "errors".

Should I disconnect it to avoid damage?

Thanks for your advise

Take the batteries out!, they are probably bulging from overheat due to shorted out cells and the charging is trying to charge shorted batteries, hopefully no acid is leaking out.

I didn't have heated batteries but the UPS just did not work during a power failure. The battery had bulged somewhat but I got it out. My Powercom was out of warranty so checked the battery P/N and bought a battery at IT City in Mall 6. Works great now.

Thanks guys, I have now disconnected the UPS and feel much better.... :)

DO whip the batteries out ASAP just in case you have a leak. New batteries are readily available.

Thanks Crossy, took it out already. Germanic

Any idea I can get that stuff in Pantip, Pratunam or Fortune?

A shop recommendation is very much appreciated.

How much might it cost?

Any branch of Amorn should do the trick, IIRC there's one on the top floor of fortune.

You may not get the exact make of battery but they're standard sizes so one of the same size and capacity will do the trick :)