Is Walking Street Now "samsung Walking Street"?

BugJackBaron

I've been meaning to post this for a while but too busy with work.

So a couple of months ago this MEDIOCRE electronics giant

from Korea which does nothing but SPEND ON ADVERTISING.

seems to have somehow bought their way into placing a huge sign

over walking street saying "Samsung".

Is money the only thing these days? Why no outrage over the desecration

of the beautiful walking street sign? :)

And on top of that they started showing videos promoting Korea!

Unbelievable. A country most tourists go through in a day.

I'm somewhat amazed noone commented on this sooner.

(mod please correct spelling of "walking" in title of post if possible)

Edited by BugJackBaron

Personally, I have no problem with an electronic sign, they probably put it there so all the traffic that is blocked by the baht buses parking and annoying the crap out of everyone has something to watch.

I have always wondered why city hall does not make the baht buses use the parking bay on the right side just before the entrance (closed with plants mind you) it is a 2 lane bay, that could easily accomodate around 30 baht busess and they could turn it into a small bus station, much safer for tourists as they have footpath access all the way along from the walking street entrance. This would open all 3 lanes to traffic then.

The only thing about the sign, it is too bright, expecially at night time, sun glass seller would make a fortune selling in front of it.

for anyone who hasnt seen it i think this is the screen BJB is talking about

enjoy ...dave2

But I think this is the "sign" he mentions. Walking Street is now called "Samsung Walking Street"!

post-7683-1254380062_thumb.jpg

Is it not obvious that the screen is made by Samsung therefore they have the right to put their name on it,

If it was made by Sony or LG or JVC etc; it would have their name on it instead.

When you buy a tv for your home you would also have the manufacturers name on it.

I don't think Samsung would be paying for their name to be on it as the OP seems to think.

eyebee..

thats the same screen .... but the banner is over the samsung bit in my pic

as moo9 says .... who cares ! ... enjoy .... dave2

As for the answer "who cares"?? I think maybe a bit hard on the OP since it is a valid point. The new sign is of course a debacle,

with not much class. It just looks like a bit of scaffolding with a big TV plonked on top. It is not sooo bad, but one would have hoped

for something a bit more classy and cultural. But then again, we are talking about Pattaya/Walking Street :) so the two concepts

are perhaps not congruent !!!!

Finally,in defence of the OP.......if another thread such as why people cannot pronounce Pattaya correctly :D:D can run to 4 pages

(quite unbelievable) then this thread is deserving of just as full an analysis and discussion

I don't think Samsung would be paying for their name to be on it as the OP seems to think.

I agree. I don't think Samsung would be sponsoring something as sordid as Walking Street.

This BJ was given to you by.... :)

It is possible that Samsung donated the TV in return for the sign placement. The sign wasn't up there originally, but it certainly does read "Samsung Walking Street".

I've always been curious as to what that TV is worth, and its power consumption. Any ideas?

for anyone who hasnt seen it i think this is the screen BJB is talking about

enjoy ...dave2

But I think this is the "sign" he mentions. Walking Street is now called "Samsung Walking Street"!

post-7683-1254380062_thumb.jpg

Is it not obvious that the screen is made by Samsung therefore they have the right to put their name on it,

If it was made by Sony or LG or JVC etc; it would have their name on it instead.

When you buy a tv for your home you would also have the manufacturers name on it.

I don't think so. The name is not on the TV, it's on the billboard below the TV. It maybe a Samsung TV, but they don't have the automatic right to put a huge Samsung sign underneath the TV on a billboard just because they manufactured it. That's some type of business arrangement they made with the Pattaya City Council.

Manufacturers normally have far less obtrusive signage on their products. If they didn't, no one would buy them.

Edited by JensenX