Warning: Beware Bangkok's Bike-borne Bag Blaggers!

nickbkk

WARNING: Beware Bangkok's Bike-Borne Bag Blaggers!

One of my staff had her handbag snatched by thieves on a motorbike at 3.30pm in Silom Soi 6, outside Aoi Japanese Restaurant.

She fell over, banging her head. I'm awaiting confirmation from the hospital but thankfully, it sounds like she will be ok, apart from some bruising.

Anecdotal evidence seems to show these crimes are on the rise. Tell everyone you know to be more mindful wherever they go and whatever the time of day.

Don't know Silom Soi 6? Google Map

The usual moaning ninnies will no doubt use this as excuse to whinge on and on about Thailand not wanting them, the authorities being buffoons/self-interested/corrupt/your_choice_of_nonsense_here, how this place really is going to the soi dogs, etc.

I still think you would be hard-pressed to find a place that offers the same attractions (including relatively unbelievable safety in one of the world's big cities) BUT that doesn't mean it's ok to walk around daydreaming and expect never to have a problem.

My intention is not to kick off yet another yawn-worthy thread full of expert ex-pat analysis of and solutions for everything that's so simple and obvious to fix here.

This kind of crime IS a real issue because the two big English-language papers refuse to run news about foreign victims of crime here so most visitors are blissfully unaware of the need (though small relative to most places) for situational awareness.

The fact is, the world in general is getting more dangerous for various reasons, the economy is in the dumps, and Cambodia is a couple of hours' drive away - do not think that you can go anywhere in Bangkok at any time of the night or day with impunity.

Just let people you know that this threat exists and they should keep their eyes open (and not walk around with handbags or similar asking to be grabbed). Carry your valuables on your person and if you MUST use a bag that is easy for bike riders to grab, make it something they can easily have off you without ruining your arm/shoulder/neck/skull.

and Cambodia is a couple of hours' drive away

Hope she gets better soon. However I am not quite sure why you bring the cambodian border in to the equation in the context of a bag snatch in silom soi 6. It's been there for as long as I can remember...

Edited by namoo

A few weeks ago the same happened to a lady walking with her husband between Sukhumvit Soi 20 and Soi 22, unfortunately in her case she suffered a head injury resulting in her death.

In the same area the fiancee of the owner of the bar 'Top Secret' also had her bag snatched in the same manner, she was fortunate not to be injured.

This is a common crime it seems.

You are right, bag snatching occurs in every part of the world. Another warning, especially for women, is be careful upon getting rear ended and stepping out of your car to investigate. For my Thai brother in law in Phanga, he woke up in the hospital with his gold necklaces missing and there have been reports of women being taken for raping and cleaning out their bank accounts. Better to stay, locked in your car, and phone the police to attend the location, if they are not in on it, [chuckle].

As for the dissillusioned Thai bashers, remember the old saying. The quest to solve problems should begin in the mirror. [but if the mirror is too broken? .. oh well]

WARNING: Beware Bangkok's Bike-Borne Bag Blaggers!

One of my staff had her handbag snatched by thieves on a motorbike at 3.30pm in Silom Soi 6, outside Aoi Japanese Restaurant.

She fell over, banging her head. I'm awaiting confirmation from the hospital but thankfully, it sounds like she will be ok, apart from some bruising.

Anecdotal evidence seems to show these crimes are on the rise. Tell everyone you know to be more mindful wherever they go and whatever the time of day.

Don't know Silom Soi 6? Google Map

The usual moaning ninnies will no doubt use this as excuse to whinge on and on about Thailand not wanting them, the authorities being buffoons/self-interested/corrupt/your_choice_of_nonsense_here, how this place really is going to the soi dogs, etc.

I still think you would be hard-pressed to find a place that offers the same attractions (including relatively unbelievable safety in one of the world's big cities) BUT that doesn't mean it's ok to walk around daydreaming and expect never to have a problem.

My intention is not to kick off yet another yawn-worthy thread full of expert ex-pat analysis of and solutions for everything that's so simple and obvious to fix here.

This kind of crime IS a real issue because the two big English-language papers refuse to run news about foreign victims of crime here so most visitors are blissfully unaware of the need (though small relative to most places) for situational awareness.

The fact is, the world in general is getting more dangerous for various reasons, the economy is in the dumps, and Cambodia is a couple of hours' drive away - do not think that you can go anywhere in Bangkok at any time of the night or day with impunity.

Just let people you know that this threat exists and they should keep their eyes open (and not walk around with handbags or similar asking to be grabbed). Carry your valuables on your person and if you MUST use a bag that is easy for bike riders to grab, make it something they can easily have off you without ruining your arm/shoulder/neck/skull.

Sorry, I had to quote it ..... been going on for years - nothing to do with the papers and pretty much pandemic in tourist areas throughout the world. Nothing new.

maybe ladies should notice men usually don't have this happen, and start using pockets and not lug so much "crap" around in a hand bag

:D:D:D

Not a chance mate. :)

Yep, same mentality that gets ( mostly farang ladies) to wear uncomfortable shoes ( like high heels)

These crimes are definitely on the rise. Police starting to get serious now after the death of the Scottish lady. The English language newspapers do report on foreign victims, such as the lady mentioned, but not on every fight/theft.

Guys are victims too...while I was in the police station with a friend victim of a bag-snatch a Chinese guy also came in having his laptop bag snatched from sukhumvit 26.

This has been happening for many years. Saw a snatching happen right before my very eyes at Pak Soi of Soi 10. Two persons on a motorcycle grab a gold necklace of a THAI woman and then sped towards the direction of the Tobacco Monopoly. This happened more than 10 years ago. Looks like business is good.

Oh! And it just goes to show that foreigners are not the only target of these criminals.

Edited by toybits

I wonder if this would stop if a well placed paint bomb or something similar that would color them for a while would work.

Just leave out the paint and I think it would work a treat. :)

Totally agree, let a few of them get blown to bits by the bag that they have just snatched and that will

certainly put a stop to it. If I was a bag snatcher it would make me think twice about doing it.

I wonder if this would stop if a well placed paint bomb or something similar that would color them for a while would work.

Just leave out the paint and I think it would work a treat. :)

Totally agree, let a few of them get blown to bits by the bag that they have just snatched and that will

certainly put a stop to it. If I was a bag snatcher it would make me think twice about doing it.

maybe a few fish hooks sewn into a bag for the theif to discover the hard way