Business For 2 Million Baht

maahuanao

But be that all as it may, listen up -- starting a business on Samui is a very, very, very risky affair. Basically, if you want to do better than break even, think very hard about proceeding.

Samui - who mentioned Samui?

I've been to Samui, and it's not a place I'll be going back to.

Edited by maahuanao

seeing that she can't think for herself and neither can you, this will fail. so in behalf of the free economy, i thank you and your friend in advance for giving back 2million baht to the community within months.

Harsh but oh so very true.

Daddy 'loans' sweetpea 2 mil & she ain't even got a plan - recipe for disaster.

Easy come, easy go.

If she wants to be successful it is necessary to possess some entrepreneurial drive. If she can't identify an opening, a niche, an opportunity using her own resourcefulness & enterprise, I would suggest that she lacks the motivation to succeed.

Probably not what the OP wants to hear but I would suggest she gives the money back until she becomes sufficiently motivated about her own business idea to make a decent go of it.

The only biz I see would be viable here is rental property , Yes build a 5 or 10 unit apt block and live in one of them, but location is the key, here where I am in a large university town they go up every week and students rent them out before they are built. As for other business ventures why waste your time and money ? whatever you do someone will copy it and do it cheaper even if they are losing money. But if she doesnt mind working 24/7 for mangos, go for it. Just putting it in an interest bearing account until something came along would be good but as it is borrowed money I dont see you getting more return than your input for loan costs.

Typical hi so family behavoir. Dad tries to rein in bad party girl daughter. Girl has no business savvy at all, does know where all hot party spots are. Ask someone for advises who is even less savvy business wise and this is the thread one comes up with :)

So she's hi so is she? She hides it well.

I'm not business savvy? Don't tell my bank manager or he'll be wanting to know how I've managed to be self employed for the last 20 years!

so where she get money from, hooking or drugs.

like the avg thai pop gonna lend his baby tons of money!

get real pal. and we know you not business savvy, no need to point out the obvious.

Wow, Sombon!! Going by your first 5 posts on day one that have been so enlightening, helpful and informative, TV will now be much improved. Members wait with bated breath to share your experience and future wisdoms.

Any successful business owner would tell her... LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION!

Without a good location a business will fail, no matter how well run it is.

Once you figure out a good location then you have to figure out who the customers are and how much they have to spend. The one downfall I see in most Thailand businesses is they all copy each other and over saturate any market. It makes little sense in establishing a new business where there is already a good one nearby.

A reasonable suggestion is some place where she could live in the back and work in the front. That cuts down on the overhead. And, she should understand that most businesses operate at a loss for the first two years and just break even for the next 2 or 3 before making any money. It takes time to establish a customer base. And, she WILL have to be a good accountant and know where every baht is going. Then there is the case of hiring staff. Nobody can work non-stop for 365 days a year. There has to be someone to take over when you go for supplies or take a break. Good staff are worth everything you can pay them and bad staff should be fired the moment you realize they are not doing the job.

location is overrated. the busineess itsself has to deliver. of course location helps. so many have good location in mbk and i hardly see customers, they just selling junk!

location overated? Souvlaki the restaurant, on soi 4 in silom. lost over 1000baht 2days ago from me because i went there with my buddy and we noticed it was the gay street with 20 homosexuals almost assaulting us in the stree, the way a katoey would do it, but with their greasy face and pedro mustache.

I wonder how much $ they have lost because of 2-3-4-5 young guys being assaulted right in front of their restaurant by horny somchais?

Typical hi so family behavoir. Dad tries to rein in bad party girl daughter. Girl has no business savvy at all, does know where all hot party spots are. Ask someone for advises who is even less savvy business wise and this is the thread one comes up with :)

So she's hi so is she? She hides it well.

I'm not business savvy? Don't tell my bank manager or he'll be wanting to know how I've managed to be self employed for the last 20 years!

so where she get money from, hooking or drugs.

like the avg thai pop gonna lend his baby tons of money!

get real pal. and we know you not business savvy, no need to point out the obvious.

Nice one.

I wouldn't pay much attention to sombon. He hasn't added one positive thing to the conversation other than warning you of various pitfalls that can happen when starting a business. I already said that most new businesses fail due to insufficient funds needed to carry the owner through the first few years in getting established. Most people are not willing to work as hard as it takes to get a new business started. There are very few businesses that start making a profit from day one.

I have a Thai lady friend whose farang husband financed her small laundry business. It has been successful, but only because of the long hours the woman works. She gets up at 5 AM and doesn't close shop until 8 PM. Over the past 3 years I've seen her business grow to a point where she bought out the adjacent shops to expand her operation. She also has good staff who work as hard as she does.

I'll stand by everything else I've said on this topic and it IS imperitive to pick a good location and not have competing businesses nearby. Two million baht is not a lot of money if there is a substantial outlay for necessary items to operate a viable business. There are already hundreds of restaurants, cafes and places to eat that are struggling to make a living. Stores selling the same old cheap clothing you see everywhere are a dime a dozen. The same goes for massage parlours.

As someone already stated it could be more profitable to be an investor. But, for a beginner that is a quick way to lose your capital unless you REALLY know what you are doing. Just remember all the billions of dollars lost in the recent recession, and those billions were lost by so called experts in investing.

If she has a good command of English and other languages she might consider being an interpreter somewhere.

Two million baht is not a lot of money if there is a substantial outlay for necessary items to operate a viable business.

My thoughts too, precisely the reason for me trying to see if anyone had some good ideas that are a possibility with that kind of money.

I think the shophouse idea has to be the best option; renting them out and perhaps living upstairs in one of them. They're the type of thing that will always be needed in this country for cheap rent and/or doing business. You have the income from that and something solid to shift.

There couldn’t be a worse time to start a business than during this worldwide economical world crisis.

Probably the best investment for the present is to deposite the money with a bank and let the capital accrued interest until the economy picks up again.

Although present bank interest rates are rather low, there are some good deals if you search around and able to tied the money up for a while.

Very bad advice and completely the opposite should be done.

During a recession (and war) is the best times to start to pick up properties and land. When sellers are in a pinch you want to be a buyer. That is where she is now, 2M to burn on property, land and equipment.

Bargains from defaulted properties sold by banks can also be scooped at a penny to the dollar.

But be that all as it may, listen up -- starting a business on Samui is a very, very, very risky affair. Basically, if you want to do better than break even, think very hard about proceeding.

I thought you asked for advice for "your friend"?

Is it your money then?

When sellers are in a pinch you want to be a buyer. That is where she is now, 2M to burn on property, land and equipment.

Bargains from defaulted properties sold by banks can also be scooped at a penny to the dollar.

I was thinking the same.

I thought you asked for advice for "your friend"?

Is it your money then?

The main point was that nobody mentioned Samui, a secondary point being that I personally can't stand the place.

How about a 7/11 franchise,,

ive heard thye guarantee you get your investment back within 1 year or maybe 2,cant remember.

A thai friend told me his friend (ofcourse) had bought a franchise 7/11 3 years ago and had paid back te investment and was making money everyday.

Forgive me for being cynical, but something is rotten in Denmark....

I know you are only asking for investment advice, but the whole idea of your "girlfriend" acquiring 2 mil for investing in god-knows-what business sounds odd to the point of being specious.

On the other hand, this post might be a gag; if you really wanted to know how to invest that money in a business, you'd want to know a whole host of things before this: What skills does the woman have? Location? Business model? Cost analysis? Surveys of consumers in the area? It goes on....

"My girlfriend has this money to invest..." sounds like, "I have this friend who has this rash..."

You can live a long time here on 2 mi formulating a strategy ..... :D

I agreee.

This is nothing but a what kind of business can i buy my thai gf(bargirl) before another chump beats me to it. Op refuses to state where girl got money. Its his money!

Bargirls very rarely make good businessmen! :):D

Hi OP,

Not very original, but I have a friend who bought an internet shop for 1 million. he got 35 PC's and rental for a while in a shop located centrally in a provincial capital city where there are plenty of students.

Charges 15bhat per hour and says he makes about 30,000Bhat profit per month. His thai wife's brother runs the place and he just collects the dosh. On a 1,000,000 bhat investment, he is getting an annual return of 25-30% and still has decent assets.

Your lady could buy a place (of course, depends in which town she lives) and kit it out with PC's and have it humming 16 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Like I said, not sexy, but a pretty decent business nonetheless.

Cheers

James

(if it were me, i'd open a pool hall - in my town, there are 2 slate bed US pool tables in different bars... big market for it me thinks.)

Op refuses to state where girl got money. Its his money!

Refuses?

If you had read through the thread you would have seen that I did say where she got the money.

If it was my money why would I bother to hide it? You seriously imagine I would care what people who don't even know me think about me?

This was simply a thread started in the hope that someone might provide some inspiration, so why some people see the need to start pointing fingers and making silly accusations based on no evidence is totally beyond me.

Op refuses to state where girl got money. Its his money!

Refuses?

If you had read through the thread you would have seen that I did say where she got the money.

If it was my money why would I bother to hide it? You seriously imagine I would care what people who don't even know me think about me?

This was simply a thread started in the hope that someone might provide some inspiration, so why some people see the need to start pointing fingers and making silly accusations based on no evidence is totally beyond me.

I spoke this morning with the Thai owner of a 7/11 near my place, different to the gut i spoke to before..

If i was Thai with 2 million i would seriosly investigate their franchise.

According to the lady ( she is 27) there is no way to lose money,, she also has gotten back her original invetment and now lives very well thank you very much on the monthly income..

I spoke this morning with the Thai owner of a 7/11 near my place, different to the gut i spoke to before..

According to the lady ( she is 27) there is no way to lose money,, she also has gotten back her original invetment and now lives very well thank you very much on the monthly income..

I thought 7/11 was 3 million for a franchise, (2 million for Familymart) and you need to provide the premises too, although I may have been misinformed.

I thought 7/11 was 3 million for a franchise, (2 million for Familymart) and you need to provide the premises too, although I may have been misinformed.

I have never checked it out myself. But the Thai I spoke to today said she invested 1.5 million and she had to rent the 2 shophouses. The rent on the shophouses - being Chiangmai is total of 12,000- per month.

Mind you this was 2 years ago ? So yeh maybe 7/11 has increased franchise fee - but still worth getting you Lady frien to check it out, me thinks/ It may also depend on the size of the store ! 7/11 has all the stats for locations, population density, shop sizes in different locations. Bangkok probably more expensive too.

Like to know how she gets on if you dont mind feeding back. Cheers. :)

Cheers.

I have never checked it out myself. But the Thai I spoke to today said she invested 1.5 million and she had to rent the 2 shophouses. The rent on the shophouses - being Chiangmai is total of 12,000- per month.

Mind you this was 2 years ago ? So yeh maybe 7/11 has increased franchise fee - but still worth getting you Lady frien to check it out, me thinks/ It may also depend on the size of the store ! 7/11 has all the stats for locations, population density, shop sizes in different locations. Bangkok probably more expensive too.

Like to know how she gets on if you dont mind feeding back. Cheers. :D

Cheers.

sorry forfot to say she told me the shop takes in between 50-60,000- per day average (unconfirmed - her words not mine) With purchasing costs, rent, staff, and franchise fee I would say based on that she is making between 180,000 - 300,000 per month. ballpark i know, but with all their differne tmargins and servcie fee income, id say its pretty close. :)

Like to know how she gets on if you dont mind feeding back. Cheers. :D

Cheers.

sorry forfot to say she told me the shop takes in between 50-60,000- per day average (unconfirmed - her words not mine) With purchasing costs, rent, staff, and franchise fee I would say based on that she is making between 180,000 - 300,000 per month. ballpark i know, but with all their differne tmargins and servcie fee income, id say its pretty close. :)

Sir your numbers are full of it! Say she makes 250,000 a month. thats 3m baht in one year. Yuo think she made back her initial investment back in a year?