Backpacker Murders: Father Pleads For Justice

george

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i find the recent lack of interest and commitment to the yearly speech by His Majesty the King to parliament (urging them to take a more humanitarian approach), evidence that reform is not in the offing and that self centered corruption is the rule of the day, as western consumerism consumes Thailand.

perhaps such a climate breeds rouge cops.

Hang on, now. Corruption and rogue cops go all the way back, to the very beginning of the police force in this country. In fact, official reforms of civil society started more than 100 years ago under Chulalongkorn. Laying the blame on Western consumerism for everything from corruption to prostitution is just another convenient excuse for deeply entrenched Thai denial; and of course, for foreigners who obviously don't know much about the country.

After 15 years or so here.....the story remains he same, nothing has changed and indeed is very unlikely to change in the unforeseen future :D

You just cannot change a soceity's culture and mentatlity overnight :o

Btw, this is the same all over Asia :D

Yes, and it is rooted in the history of feudalism, fatalism, intimidation, and patron-client status.

I have been stolen more than 1000 USD and a credit card in Thailand. In an organized way, by a gang, and it was not a single incident. Thus, I thought, interesting enough for the police to investigate - and to hurry with it as there were good chances to catch the thieves when I informed the police.

So I went to a police station for a report, just to be informed by a very relaxed policeman (who was flirting with a female 'customer' during most time of the talk) "that my case is not their duty" ( :D - the shop reliable for the theft was just around the corner..?!).

I was suggested to go to Tourist Police - they would take care about my case!

Went to Tourist Police. Was informed by a surprisingly engaged female officer that they have not the power anymore to investigate on their own (hoping for a change of law), for now I should go to Police Station XY instead, which would be the correct address for my case.

Well, what should I say - I went there! Just to be informed that they, too, can do: nothing!! The best was, I was told, that I should after all that, travel back to the end point of the bus route in which I was stolen the money ("yes sir, sorry, you have to do the 1400km trip again to make your report there!"  :o ) !!!! SH*T man, what kind of 'police' system is that here, in this country?, I asked myself.

There are always exceptions (as I noted above), but I have never seen such lazy and desinterested police officers like in Thailand. Thiefes and other criminals of all sort must have a VERY good life in Thailand. Just know the system and you can be 100% sure no one will ever (even try to) catch you.

I won't go so far to suppose that there are strong connections between organized criminality and the police in Thailand - but sometimes, at least, the idea comes up to the mind.

After these and a few other experiences that go in similar extents, I ask myself why someone could dream of settling here. I had such plans before but it seems to me that the better I learn to know this country, the more disappointed I am.

Just my 2 cents, of course, being quite disillusioned of this former 'Land of sunshine and smiles'

Pepi

This Thai policeman might be found guilty and put in jail for a few months to save face for the national government.  But when all has quieted down and been forgotten he will be released...

Agree. There's no auditing of who's really serving their sentences here. Release (or official pardon... these don't necessarily have to be announced either), name change, hair cut. Done and done.

:o

I read no 'follow-up' artilcles

there is no follow up here.

murders , rapes , political jiggery pokery and corruption , suspicious suicides , there is no follow up , no investigative journalism , no discussion .

the system stinks.

he has powerful friends , the murdered couple didnt.

thats the system.

happens all the time.

pity the poor thais who dont have connections.

How can you say such bad things about the Thai system, it was only last week that a nice man in the Pattaya immigration office told me he could arrange a retirement visa for only 15,000bht,,,,,,,, 2,000bht for the visa and 13,000 for him and his work chums, i would of gone to BKK myself but i find it hard going after a few strokes.

I have been stolen more than 1000 USD and a credit card in Thailand.

do not get upset. if you plan to stay in thailand you need to accept it and be cleaver to creat your connections such that system work for you as today it is working for some one.

in line with forum topic -

forsenic evidance will not work all time as it will be challenged for more details and reanalysis. we know well here the result can change when reanalysis is done. we have seen many cases over last 10 years - not to name

I have been stolen more than 1000 USD and a credit card in Thailand. In an organized way, by a gang, and it was not a single incident. Thus, I thought, interesting enough for the police to investigate - and to hurry with it as there were good chances to catch the thieves when I informed the police........

Join the club dude. I was talking to a frang guy resident in Indonesia while on a trip to Pattaya; he told me how nice it was to be in Thailand and how friendly and smily everyone is here. Apparently in Idonesia they like foreighners to leave their cash in a box at the airport and bugger off home.

Well after having been here for a year, doing up my apartment, I've had to deal with a lot of Thai people and frankly it seems to me that the only difference between here and Indonesia is that here they smile while they try to rip you off.

I can't wait to finish this place up and put it on the market and head back home.

This appears to be the land of false smiles, short change, double pricing and of getting it more or less right when it comes to doing something.

One of the many contractors I have to deal with, tryed to explain to me that the words "mai penrai" also translate to "never mind if it isn't quite right" and that should use it more often. Well I know quite a few Thais that would be pretty angry to pay good maney and get bad work or service.... but as farangs we're expected to take it in the chin or else we haven't got a good heart... Well I'm voting with my feet... Bye bye Thailand

:-)

"Care to make a contribution to the Policeman's Christmas Ball, sir?"

Till recently, I thought there really was an annual Xmas Party for policeman in the UK.

Corruption is part of every police force in the world ! So don't single out Thailand.

Edited by The_Moog

So he was Kanchanaburi’s “Most Outstanding Policeman” in 2004? Was that honor bestowed before or after the murders?

after, of course! and this policeman will get the chief of the tourist-police for the whole country. because of his experience to get new tourists to thailand. without the killing of his daughter the father of her would been never come to thailand.

If Thai justice was at least partly objective and their investigative skills were better than abysmal, then the policeman should be found guilty. Hasn't he already already admitted as much - and evaded capture for weeks after the incident? The sad truth is that the tattered rag that passes for Thai justice is extremely subjective and their forensic skills are bad.

Someone should make copies of all the Thai-language versions of 'True Detective'" -type shows on UBC such as "FBI FILES", etc. and pass copies around to all police stations in the kingdom as required viewing for all policemen. I doubt the producers of those shows would mind the copyright infringement. There's a wealth of investigative info to be learned from those shows.

So he was Kanchanaburi’s “Most Outstanding Policeman” in 2004? Was that honor bestowed before or after the murders?

after, of course! and this policeman will get the chief of the tourist-police for the whole country. because of his experience to get new tourists to thailand. without the killing of his daughter the father of her would been never come to thailand.

I think your will find he was being sarcastic mate,just out of interest what language are you writing in ,it is in a bit of a jumble. :o

- Big name hospital kept the fetus in the womb more than 2 weeks after the due date. The baby didn't make it. The parents filed a lawsuit. The hospital won. It was their fault, not ours.

- Politician's son got away on a murder case. He's got money and Daddy's power. It was a poor man fault, not his.

- This worthless thug shot and killed two British backpackers and possibly will get away with it. It was their fault, not his.

In Thailand, there are three magic words: Money, Power, and Connection.

Golf

- Big name hospital kept the fetus in the womb more than 2 weeks after the due date.  The baby didn't make it.  The parents filed a lawsuit.  The hospital won. It was their fault, not ours.

- Politician's son got away on a murder case.  He's got money and Daddy's power.  It was a poor man fault, not his.

- This worthless thug shot and killed two British backpackers and possibly will get away with it.  It was their fault, not his.

Golf

You're an honest man and you also know what you're talking about.

- Big name hospital kept the fetus in the womb more than 2 weeks after the due date.  The baby didn't make it.  The parents filed a lawsuit.  The hospital won. It was their fault, not ours.

- Politician's son got away on a murder case.  He's got money and Daddy's power.  It was a poor man fault, not his.

- This worthless thug shot and killed two British backpackers and possibly will get away with it.  It was their fault, not his.

Golf

Austin, Texas:

- The police don't mind dining at our restaurant for free, even though "patronage" by police in exchange for police presence is typically considered unethical.

- At a relative's grocery, while the health inspector doesn't accept cash (yet) for minor infractions, the fire inspector sure as heck does (at his suggestion... and yes, they use the same plain white envelopes that they use here in the LOS).

- Many chiropractors readily collude with car accident "victims" to run up bills to be charged to the insurance company (of whoever ran into your car). Friend of the family clued us in when someone I ran into in my Mustang tried to pull the "take 3 months off from work and sue" scam on us and just happened to go to the friend's clinic. Sure, insurance would have covered it, but in the end everyone pays for this kind of crap.

- All through elementary school, my parents would give my teachers, kindergarten through 5th grade a $100-200 tea set for Christmas. Coincidentally, I was an all A student all the way.... and I don't think it was all because of my own ability. St. Stephen's Episcopal School... right there on the application is a blank for you to write in what you will donate to the school (and unofficially is one of the key determinants in you getting in). Wow, just like here in the LOS.... Wattana, RIS, the Triam Udoms, etc.

- Defraud your shareholders of millions and billions? Go to country club jail or get community service.

Still, a great place to live, just like the LOS.

The western Press are following this trial closely, if justice is not seen to be done then it will put tourists off coming here if the TOURIST POLICE can get away with murder. Get the needles ready, I REALLY HOPE  he will get the death penalty he deserves it, if he did not then who did, <deleted> the guy was on the run and in hiding for 2 months, how can the NOT CONVICT HIM. If they dont then the HR society will be crawling all over LOS the loss of tourist revenue aint woth one life, especaillly a Wan***r like him.  :o

I would just like to point out as i live in kanchanaburi and know the local tourist police here very well, the couple were not shot by the tourist police, they have been as disgusted with this as were many of the local population here in Kan. The murder was comited by a local policeman but deffinately not the Tourist police. I have spent 15 years on and off in this town and as aware of Thai justice as i am in general there are several tourist police in this town who are very angry at what happened and when dealing with crime against tourists they do a very good job. In this case they are not responsible for dealing with the accused or for trying to get him off. The Kanchanaburi Tourist police in my experience have been very prompt, helpful and interested to help any foreigner who finds him/herself in trouble here.

If someone had killed my daughter this way it would not take long to figure it out!

I would stay in the West and earn what ever money it took (no matter how much!) To have the bastard sent to his final resting place ASAP!

Isn’t this clear to everyone reading this site?

In Lie-land (excuse me, I mean Thailand) it can happen very cheaply too I reckon.

If you are going to kill a woman like this best not do it to my daughter or you won’t be around much longer.

If others had this attitude, sh-t heads (ok "cockroaches" if you want the best description) like this would think a long long time before they pulled this

kind of sh-t again!

May this trash of a human be put out ASAP!

I think we will all rest better and the rest of the "trash" out there (there is a lot believe me) will think a bit more before they act out their "new trash culture".

One problem though, can a cockroachs :o think?

Golf

Austin, Texas:

- The police don't mind dining at our restaurant for free, even though "patronage" by police in exchange for police presence is typically considered unethical.

- At a relative's grocery, while the health inspector doesn't accept cash (yet) for minor infractions, the fire inspector sure as heck does (at his suggestion... and yes, they use the same plain white envelopes that they use here in the LOS).

- Many chiropractors readily collude with car accident "victims" to run up bills to be charged to the insurance company (of whoever ran into your car). Friend of the family clued us in when someone I ran into in my Mustang tried to pull the "take 3 months off from work and sue" scam on us and just happened to go to the friend's clinic. Sure, insurance would have covered it, but in the end everyone pays for this kind of crap.

- All through elementary school, my parents would give my teachers, kindergarten through 5th grade a $100-200 tea set for Christmas. Coincidentally, I was an all A student all the way.... and I don't think it was all because of my own ability. St. Stephen's Episcopal School... right there on the application is a blank for you to write in what you will donate to the school (and unofficially is one of the key determinants in you getting in). Wow, just like here in the LOS.... Wattana, RIS, the Triam Udoms, etc.

- Defraud your shareholders of millions and billions? Go to country club jail or get community service.

Still, a great place to live, just like the LOS.

:D

Right on, Golf. It is good to look at things with a clear eye, and honesty.

Heng: I have to admit, I'm a little torn by your statements. While I would never deny that there is corruption in the states, I strongly disagree that it is just like LOS. Although many of the similarities have not escaped me, the differences are important.

Also, if police were dining at your family's restaurant, they were obviously doing so by invitation. And as for the expensive tea sets to your teachers - I was an A student all through public school and my family didn't have a dime to pay anyone. I got into my fancy universities on grades and scholarships, but no doubt, there are some that get in on connections and "tea sets".

My point is this: Before you comment on corruption, you should first examine if you are a willing partner in it. Because if you are not, then there should have never been a plain white envelope for the fire inspector but a ######ing phone call to the District Attorney's office! :o

Pepi, true Thailand is extremely very corrupt and its Mafia controlled, yet there are some good Tourist Police officers around. If your still here in Thailand, PM me and I will point you in the right direction.

Daveyo

One other thing to all MEMBERS in THAI VISA.

Beware of CUSTOMS TACTICS: They now are charging for WEIGHT of your shipments and personal effects, plus also charging 1% tax for Insurance on your goods, besides the usual duty taxes and VAT taxes, and they will also STALL AND DELAY YOU AS LONG AS POSSIBLE IN YOUR ATTEMPTS TO RECEIVE YOUR PERSONAL EFFECTS OR THINGS BY HITTING YOU WITH STORAGE FEES.

Incidently there is no Customs Directive showing that they can do this legally, but it is at the Discretion of the Director General of Customs to see fit what they want to charge.

Give them HELLA AND THE FINGER TO BOOT, AND MAKE SURE THEY KNOW AND SEE PRECISELY WHAT YOU MEAN TO TELL THEM.

So make sure you NEVER DECLARE ANYTHING OF VALUE AND BRING IT IN YOURSELF. ODDS ARE IN YOUR FAVOR OF GETTING IT THRU WITHOUT A PROBLEM.

Daveyo

Edited by DaveYo

I have been stolen more than 1000 USD and a credit card in Thailand. In an organized way, by a gang, and it was not a single incident. Thus, I thought, interesting enough for the police to investigate - and to hurry with it as there were good chances to catch the thieves when I informed the police.

So I went to a police station for a report, just to be informed by a very relaxed policeman (who was flirting with a female 'customer' during most time of the talk) "that my case is not their duty" ( :D - the shop reliable for the theft was just around the corner..?!).

I was suggested to go to Tourist Police - they would take care about my case!

Went to Tourist Police. Was informed by a surprisingly engaged female officer that they have not the power anymore to investigate on their own (hoping for a change of law), for now I should go to Police Station XY instead, which would be the correct address for my case.

Well, what should I say - I went there! Just to be informed that they, too, can do: nothing!! The best was, I was told, that I should after all that, travel back to the end point of the bus route in which I was stolen the money ("yes sir, sorry, you have to do the 1400km trip again to make your report there!"  :o ) !!!! SH*T man, what kind of 'police' system is that here, in this country?, I asked myself.

There are always exceptions (as I noted above), but I have never seen such lazy and desinterested police officers like in Thailand. Thiefes and other criminals of all sort must have a VERY good life in Thailand. Just know the system and you can be 100% sure no one will ever (even try to) catch you.

I won't go so far to suppose that there are strong connections between organized criminality and the police in Thailand - but sometimes, at least, the idea comes up to the mind.

After these and a few other experiences that go in similar extents, I ask myself why someone could dream of settling here. I had such plans before but it seems to me that the better I learn to know this country, the more disappointed I am.

Just my 2 cents, of course, being quite disillusioned of this former 'Land of sunshine and smiles'

Pepi

When my credit card got cloned. My first point of call was toursist police(can i say that :D ) Anyway they sent me off to Economic crime police on South Sathon Road. They asked for a copy of my bank statement then they could investigate. By the sounds of it, for me when I contacted my Bank in Oz I hand the money reinstated within 7 days. Didn't have to continue with police here. Think it happens quiet a bit so probably just be one more to their ever increasing workload. Don't forget these guys don't get paid a decent wage so why should they be in any hurry.

my 1bht worth

Right on, Golf.  It is good to look at things with a clear eye, and honesty.

Heng:  I have to admit, I'm a little torn by your statements.  While I would never deny that there is corruption in the states, I strongly disagree that it is just like LOS.  Although many of the similarities have not escaped me, the differences are important. 

Also, if police were dining at your family's restaurant, they were obviously doing so by invitation.  And as for the expensive tea sets to your teachers - I was an A student all through public school and my family didn't have a dime to pay anyone.  I got into my fancy universities on grades and scholarships, but no doubt, there are some that get in on connections and "tea sets".

My point is this:  Before you comment on corruption, you should first examine if you are a willing partner in it.  Because if you are not, then there should have never been a plain white envelope for the fire inspector but a ######ing phone call to the District Attorney's office!  :o

Never said I was above it, Kat. Those were merely firsthand illustrations of the status quo (at least, particular incidents therein). And all of the participants mentioned weren't innocents before we showed up on the scene. I didn't say it was just like the LOS. I merely said it was just as pleasant to live in both countries.

Of course, no high fives or "right ons" for my post because it seems that the whingers here are typically getting the poo-poo end of the stick. Nevermind that there's a good end and poo-poo end to every stick the world over.

Edited by Heng

My point is this:  Before you comment on corruption, you should first examine if you are a willing partner in it.
reminds me of the old question , which came first , the chicken or the egg ?
Map & Graph: Crime: Bribe payers index

Scroll down for more information  Show map full screen

Country Description

Definition: The index ranks the leading exporting countries in terms of the degree to which their companies are perceived to be paying bribes. The scale is from 0 to 10, where 10 represents negligible bribery and 0 a very high level of bribery. Based on a survey of nearly 800 business executives conducted in 14 emerging-market countries.

Amount

1. Sweden 8.3 

2. Australia 8.1 

3. Canada 8.1 

4. Austria 7.8 

5. Switzerland 7.7 

6. Netherlands 7.4 

7. United Kingdom 7.2 

8. Belgium 6.8 

9. United States 6.2 

10. Germany 6.2 

11. Singapore 5.7 

12. Spain 5.3 

13. France 5.2 

14. Japan 5.1 

15. Malaysia 3.9 

16. Italy 3.7 

17. Taiwan 3.5 

18. Korea, South 3.4 

19. China 3.1 

Weighted Average 4.21 

Hey! Don't fight over this topic, fellas. We're here to analyze it. But I understand both Kat's and Heng's points. I know you love this country and so am I. Let's see it with the naked eyes. Corruption is everywhere including the States, but Thailand makes it so obvious, so clear that they are doing it. Thai people put up with it. Laws here favor the rich and powerful, not the people in general.

Golf

Right on, Golf.  It is good to look at things with a clear eye, and honesty.

Heng:  I have to admit, I'm a little torn by your statements.  While I would never deny that there is corruption in the states, I strongly disagree that it is just like LOS.  Although many of the similarities have not escaped me, the differences are important. 

Also, if police were dining at your family's restaurant, they were obviously doing so by invitation.  And as for the expensive tea sets to your teachers - I was an A student all through public school and my family didn't have a dime to pay anyone.  I got into my fancy universities on grades and scholarships, but no doubt, there are some that get in on connections and "tea sets".

My point is this:  Before you comment on corruption, you should first examine if you are a willing partner in it.  Because if you are not, then there should have never been a plain white envelope for the fire inspector but a ######ing phone call to the District Attorney's office!  :o

Never said I was above it, Kat. Those were merely firsthand illustrations of the status quo (at least, particular incidents therein). And all of the participants mentioned weren't innocents before we showed up on the scene. I didn't say it was just like the LOS. I merely said it was just as pleasant to live in both countries.

Of course, no high fives or "right ons" for my post because it seems that the whingers here are typically getting the poo-poo end of the stick. Nevermind that there's a good end and poo-poo end to every stick the world over.

So, let me see: You are implying that people who ar disgruntled with the level of corruption, impunity, and lack of human rights in Thailand are "whingers"? What should we do - pay the bribes and shut up? "So another police officer just offed two innocents in cold blood. Oh well, that's the way the power cookie crumbles. Let me in turn hire someone to blow his head off" and on, and on, and on.

I agree that there is good and bad everywhere, Heng, but that doesn't mean that all good and bad are the same. In a Western country such as the States, there is no excuse to pay a bribe and forget about it unless you also benefit from side-stepping the law. The fact that there are people out there who will pay a fire inspector bribes rather than turn to the appropriate authorities to penalize such behavior makes me ill.

My point is this:  Before you comment on corruption, you should first examine if you are a willing partner in it.

reminds me of the old question , which came first , the chicken or the egg ?

Map & Graph: Crime: Bribe payers index

Scroll down for more information  Show map full screen

Country Description

Definition: The index ranks the leading exporting countries in terms of the degree to which their companies are perceived to be paying bribes. The scale is from 0 to 10, where 10 represents negligible bribery and 0 a very high level of bribery. Based on a survey of nearly 800 business executives conducted in 14 emerging-market countries.

Amount

1. Sweden 8.3 

2. Australia 8.1 

3. Canada 8.1 

4. Austria 7.8 

5. Switzerland 7.7 

6. Netherlands 7.4 

7. United Kingdom 7.2 

8. Belgium 6.8 

9. United States 6.2 

10. Germany 6.2 

11. Singapore 5.7 

12. Spain 5.3 

13. France 5.2 

14. Japan 5.1 

15. Malaysia 3.9 

16. Italy 3.7 

17. Taiwan 3.5 

18. Korea, South 3.4 

19. China 3.1 

Weighted Average 4.21 

Yes, your question is spot on.

edited: But ultimately, I might add, corruption is an abuse of power and the failure of the state to protect civil society by enforcing legal codes of conduct. Therefore, I think ultimate blame lies with the enforcement mechanisms and people in "authority". Although, I think there is credence to the sentiment that you should never tempt anyone into "theft". If someone offers a bribe to an enforcement official, I think in a least corrupt society the official would refuse and that person would be penalized under the law.

So, it's hard to see exactly where the abuse started, but it no doubt ends with the enforcement mechanisms of the state.

Edited by kat

So, let me see:  You are implying that people who ar disgruntled with the level of corruption, impunity, and lack of human rights in Thailand are "whingers"?  What should we do - pay the bribes and shut up?  "So another police officer just offed two innocents in cold blood.  Oh well, that's the way the power cookie crumbles.  Let me in turn hire someone to blow his head off" and on, and on, and on.

I agree that there is good and bad everywhere, Heng, but that doesn't mean that all good and bad are the same.  In a Western country such as the States, there is no excuse to pay a bribe and forget about it unless you also benefit from side-stepping the law.  The fact that there are people out there who will pay a fire inspector bribes rather than turn to the appropriate authorities to penalize such behavior makes me ill.

I believe that many people who are unhappy with their current situations or are themselves victims of the system (anywhere) do tend to complain a bit more than others who don't have such issues. One person's gratuity is another person's bribe. You might call it corruption, others might call it, the way things have been as long as one can remember. As to what you "should do," I have no suggestions.

"In a Western country such as the States, there is no excuse to pay a bribe and forget about it unless you also benefit from side-stepping the law."

Not quite sure what you mean here, Kat. Maybe it's a bit late.

It is about time this debate got back to the central issue:

Two young English tourists have been allegedly murdered by a member of the Thai police force.

For these young people’s sakes alone it is imperative that justice is done, and seen to be done.

For the sake of the integrity of the Thai Police justice must be done.

We who read this story have a duty to see it remains a central point on this forum, in the British and International press, until this matter is resolved.

Our choice is simple: do we support the Fat Cats and all that this implies throughout the Thai culture, or do we respectfully demand the justice these two young lives deserve?

The Lord Buddha forbad all killing and I am utterly amazed the authorities cannot see that the Karma from an incorrect resolution to this case, will be catastrophic for Thai culture.

We pray that wisdom will prevail and the LOS does not become another Burma.

Edited by Thomas_Merton

do not get upset. if you plan to stay in thailand you need to accept it and be cleaver to creat your connections such that system work for you as today it is working for some one

Of course the ability to speak English might help as well.

There are always exceptions (as I noted above), but I have never seen such lazy and desinterested police officers like in Thailand.

At the end of the month they are always very interested as the wallet shrinks and they need to "re-fuel it" :o

I think Somchai is going to be found guilty and will face the death penalty

I BET HE WILL GET AWAY WITH IT, like the gangsters that killed an Australian backpacker on Doi Angkhang a few years ago.

Everything will be delayed and delayed until most people have forgotten and finally a court will decide that there is not enough evidence to sentence the suspected policeman.

There will be no public outcry, nothing. Everybody will have forgotten everything. Thats how THE SYSTEM works here.

I feel sorry for the victim's family.