Backpacker Murders: Father Pleads For Justice

george

BACKPACKER MURDERS: Father pleads for justice in court

Witnesses won’t identify policeman as the gunman, so forensic evidence is vital

KANCHANABURI: -- The father of British backpacker Vanessa Arscott, who was allegedly “executed” in Kanchanaburi last year after witnessing her boyfriend gunned down by a Thai policeman, made a dramatic plea for justice at a murder trial this week.

Graham Arscott, 57, from Devon in the south of England, told judges in Kanchanaburi on Wednesday that his daughter was gunned down on what was to be her engagement day.

“We had heard through her sister that Vanessa thought that her boyfriend Adam [Lloyd] would propose marriage to her on September 8, 2004.

“They were in love and looking forward to their future lives together. September 8 was their first anniversary of being together, but Adam was murdered and Vanessa was executed instead.”

“Bang! Bang! Bang! It was just like that,” said Arscott, a retired pharmaceutical salesman.

He described how Vanessa Arscott, 23, a graduate in psychology, was shot at point-blank range clinging onto a electrical pylon half way between the “Bridge over the River Kwai” and the Commonwealth War Cemetery in Kanchanaburi early on September 9 last year. After the murders, Arscott said he came to Thailand to find out for himself what had happened.

“I spoke to many Thai people and many witnesses. They were genuinely upset at what happened on September 9. There were some 16 witnesses to the murder.

“I asked them it they would testify but they said they were afraid. I would like to tell the court that my daughter died in a particularly horrible way. We are looking for justice. We respect the court here and I am confident we will find justice”.

The murder suspect, Police Sergeant Somchai Wisetsingh, sat head bowed looking at the floor as Arscott stood in the witness box for 45 minutes giving evidence about his well-educated daughter, who loved children and animals and made hundreds of friends.

Somchai – who was awarded the title of Kanchanaburi’s “Most Outstanding Policeman” in 2004 – is charged with murdering Adam Lloyd, 25, by gunning him down with two shots from a Smith and Wesson .38. It is alleged he then ran over Vanessa in his Volvo, dragging her body 80 metres along a road, and finally shot her in the neck, lip and chest. He faces a mandatory death penalty if found guilty of the charge of murdering a witness to cover up a crime.

Because no witness will specifically identify Somchai as gunman, police are relying heavily on forensic evidence. This consists of bullets found in Lloyd, Arscott, at the murder scene and in Somchai’s car; plus blood, hair and skin from Arscott and Lloyd’s blood found under his car; and from found on his car.

Andrew Drummond

--The Nation 2005-03-25

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the press release, it looks like justice may well be done. The defendants downcast head and the telling forensic evidence may well get the job done.

The father's "testimony" certainly wouldn't be heard at this stage of the proceedings in any western court and speaks well for the courts empathy.

i suspect he may be found guilty , and may even receive the death sentence.

to placate the foriegn press , the family and any diplomats / politicians who may or may not be making noises behind the scenes.

but a few months down the line , when all the fuss has died down , after the father has had his say about how he never doubted that justice would be done and thanked thailand for its fairness , after the diplomats have quietly congratulated themselves on a "result", then he will be as good as free.

its been mentioned on this forum and elsewhere that he has powerful connections.

but i wouldnt be surprised if he soon meets a sticky end , he must be an embarrasment to his protectors , and their patience must be wearing thin.

From the press release, it looks like justice may well be done.  The defendants downcast head and the telling forensic evidence may well get the job done.

The father's "testimony" certainly wouldn't be heard at this stage of the proceedings in any western court and speaks well for the courts empathy.

Unfortunately all "hear-say" and ub-susubstantiated on the part of the poor distressed father. Something one would expect the prosecution to use in 'summing-up'. He has no bearing on the case whatsoever and his statement could hardly carry any 'weight' in the trial. The article mentioned that Forensic evidence WAS yet to be produced, and of course accepted and of course proven . Once again mere speculation on the part of the court reporter one would think. You guys shouldn't jump the gun so quick when it comes down to these events. I read no 'follow-up' artilcles on any topic of sensational value discussed in this forum. You all seem to have your own mind-set and each and everyone of you says the same type of thing each time. Perhaps a 'follow-up' column would help us think and react more positively in the future and maybe some of the authorities would give more credence and credibility to us "Ex-pat Watch-dogs". What you think people?

I find this story very very disturbing, why can't justice be served

for once. People in high places do seem to literally get away with murder.

:D  :D

Give the system a chance "Noodle-brain" before running off at the mouth!

People on this forum have seen what the system can be like

in this country Rody, so pipe it down abit hey. :o

I read no 'follow-up' artilcles

there is no follow up here.

murders , rapes , political jiggery pokery and corruption , suspicious suicides , there is no follow up , no investigative journalism , no discussion .

the system stinks.

he has powerful friends , the murdered couple didnt.

thats the system.

happens all the time.

pity the poor thais who dont have connections.

I have been stolen more than 1000 USD and a credit card in Thailand. In an organized way, by a gang, and it was not a single incident. Thus, I thought, interesting enough for the police to investigate - and to hurry with it as there were good chances to catch the thieves when I informed the police.

So I went to a police station for a report, just to be informed by a very relaxed policeman (who was flirting with a female 'customer' during most time of the talk) "that my case is not their duty" ( :D - the shop reliable for the theft was just around the corner..?!).

I was suggested to go to Tourist Police - they would take care about my case!

Went to Tourist Police. Was informed by a surprisingly engaged female officer that they have not the power anymore to investigate on their own (hoping for a change of law), for now I should go to Police Station XY instead, which would be the correct address for my case.

Well, what should I say - I went there! Just to be informed that they, too, can do: nothing!! The best was, I was told, that I should after all that, travel back to the end point of the bus route in which I was stolen the money ("yes sir, sorry, you have to do the 1400km trip again to make your report there!" :o ) !!!! SH*T man, what kind of 'police' system is that here, in this country?, I asked myself.

There are always exceptions (as I noted above), but I have never seen such lazy and desinterested police officers like in Thailand. Thiefes and other criminals of all sort must have a VERY good life in Thailand. Just know the system and you can be 100% sure no one will ever (even try to) catch you.

I won't go so far to suppose that there are strong connections between organized criminality and the police in Thailand - but sometimes, at least, the idea comes up to the mind.

After these and a few other experiences that go in similar extents, I ask myself why someone could dream of settling here. I had such plans before but it seems to me that the better I learn to know this country, the more disappointed I am.

Just my 2 cents, of course, being quite disillusioned of this former 'Land of sunshine and smiles'

Pepi

The western Press are following this trial closely, if justice is not seen to be done then it will put tourists off coming here if the TOURIST POLICE can get away with murder. Get the needles ready, I REALLY HOPE he will get the death penalty he deserves it, if he did not then who did, <deleted> the guy was on the run and in hiding for 2 months, how can the NOT CONVICT HIM. If they dont then the HR society will be crawling all over LOS the loss of tourist revenue aint woth one life, especaillly a Wan***r like him. :o

the system stinks.

he has powerful friends , the murdered couple didnt.

thats the system.

happens all the time.

pity the poor thais who dont have connections.

I'm usually a resident pessimist on this Forum, but this time I think Somchai is a Dead-Man-Walking. I do not think there will be any Royal Pardon for him.

His Friends with 'Dark Influence' know when they've backed a loser. He has become an embarrasing liability.

Edited by The_Moog

if justice is not seen to be done then it will put tourists off coming here if the TOURIST POLICE can get away with murder.

i doubt if the tourist arrivals total would drop by even one .

sadly

most tourists to thailand are not the sort to take a moral stance and act on it.

they would stay away in droves if bird flu got serious , if there was another natural disaster , or if the burmese threatened to invade.

but i doubt that the murder of a couple of tourists by a rogue policeman and a corrupt trial will change anything.

only a long and very well funded campaign by a powerful pressure group consisting of a large number of dedicated believers could do anything to publicize this case more widely , and we all know what would happen if that group were to be based in thailand.

as a previous poster aptly said , the more you get to know this "land of smiles" :o , the more you begin to realise what a corrupt and despicable dump it is.

the thais have been brainwashed since early schooldays to never answer back or question anything of their "superiors" , they seem to accept all kinds of nonsense , because they know if they dont , things can be made a lot worse and there is nobody to help them , and that only a lot of money can get them the freedoms that we take for granted.

thats why maybe they are perceived as money mad !

i think if i had been born here i might do anything to line my pockets too.

french revolution anybody !! :D

Edited by taxexile

It really is amazing that the government worries more about the tsnunami and its affect on the tourist industry (once in a lifetime so far) and not even remotely concerned that the thugs like this guy get away with murder with the effect of scaring tourists more now than any possible future tsnunami. As the man said, TIT.

I consider most of these "things" in uniforms are cockroaches if you ask me.

Its incredible but very possible that this piece of trash may well walk free.

"Thailand" or "Lie land"? You tell me!

Shame on the powers that be!

I hope they all rot in ######!

There are always exceptions (as I noted above), but I have never seen such lazy and desinterested police officers like in Thailand.
There's one general rule for Thai cops; if there's no money in it for them, they're not interested. :o
Thiefes and other criminals of all sort must have a VERY good life in Thailand. Just know the system and you can be 100% sure no one will ever (even try to) catch you.

It's better than that; many just become policemen.

Most are the dregs of Thai society; and this is a country where their middle class make my trailer trash upbringing look privelidged and their higher class have more money but less class than I did,do, or will ever have...

I won't go so far to suppose that there are strong connections between organized criminality and the police in Thailand - but sometimes, at least, the idea comes up to the mind.

:D

You're talking about a country where you don't go to jail for trafficking in heroin; but for buying off the wrong team...

I agree that the more you know of Thailand the less attractive the place is; but that's like many, I suppose.

Especially the s.hitholes...

IA

Edited by IsaanAlex

True colors talking. This shit happens more and more. Crime have been going way up the last year's. Not good . Wounder what happens when the Thai Ruk Thai got the economy right where they want it.. Gess you falangs gotta pack and get the <deleted>.. out of there before the hunting seasion starts..

Its just soo <deleted>..t up when the law is the evil do'er and the coruption is to the end of the deepest root . Even if the Police man got a death or inprisonment penelty do you guys think he is done ? No .. Its probbably gonna be a lot of transfers and then out back to the home town shading of some years before showing his face.

If i was her father i would pinpoint the law whit a spesial premision to see the execution or to visit the prisons by random dates to make shure the killer can taste his own law..

Peace :o

Sadly the Thai language media is only interested as long as there are gruesome photos.

We all hope that murderers are tried and, if found guilty, dealt with according to the law.

The biggest problem in Asia (this is not limited to Thailand by any means) is that power and wealth often influence decisions - in fact I sometimes think it is not limited to Asia!

Fortunately, murder trials in the west are generally taken seriously, and justice usually prevails - but while saying this, I know there have been enough failures in the US and UK law enforcement and justice systems to prove that nowhere is perfect.

I guess we can only hope for the best.

its difficult to put this delicately in such circumstances - and in reading the background on this i can only see that this ugly chain of events started between 2 bulls in a paddock

2 male hotheads - neither giving an inch

the young male backpacker was trying to prove what and to whom?

particularly to a gun toting small town cowboy cop

Cop of the year and all - imagine for a second the arrogance of this man and the power he has in his small town community. Seems to have the whole town still scared as no witnesses. SHades of CHalerm eh?

Just think for a second if - IF the backpacker had of realised the situation, kept his cool and shown a little respect to someone with a gun -

these truly bizarre events may not have happened and the young obviously educated woman would still be alive

I say may as it is possible the cop was loaded with Yaba and booze - therefore running on a hair trigger - so it may have happened regardless

Did anyone manage to do a blood test on the cop as the Y stays in the blood for a few months - standard procedure to test in many countries when someone is shot by a cop

I suspect not

My sympathies for the families as one of the worst things in life is outliving your children

I sincerely hope they get some closure on this