Cambodia?

moondragon

Everything you need to know from our friend Gordon down at the "2 Dragons"

...must pay a visit sometimes.

Last visit to S.R.was about 12 years ago.....god how times as they say ...flies :D

Great info on everything relating to Kampuchea :D

Overland Travel Between Bangkok and Siem Reap by way of Poipet / Aranyaprathet

Q&A :o

By way of Poipet / Aranyaprathet.

How's the road?

What's up with the Khao San Road "scam" buses?

Is the Poipet taxi mafia that bad?

Do I have to worry about land mines and road blocks?

Here you will find EVERYTHING you ever wanted to know about overland travel between Bangkok and Siem Reap by way of Aranyaprathet/Poipet. Updated March 19, 2005.

http://talesofasia.com/cambodia-overland.htm

By way of Poipet / Aranyaprathet.

How's the road?

What's up with the Khao San Road "scam" buses?

I wouldn't even bother taking this route - my daughters and I did it this way. First we stayed overnight in a Khao San Rd. guesthouse and got about 2 hrs. sleep due to all the drunks fighting below in the poolroom. We left about 6 am and then the bus stopped at a restaurant near the border for about 3 hrs. supposedly so they could get visas for those who didn't already have them. The roads were a nightmare once we crossed into Cambodia and then they make sure they get there late and take you to an overpriced guesthouse. We declined to stay at this one and walked around with the guys from this guesthouse following us for about an hr. until we finally went with another guy to see his guesthouse which actually turned out to be nice and reasonably priced. Might be better to spend a bit more and fly.

I've always wanted to see Ankgor Wat - anyone been there?

Do it! I was there about 7 years ago and it's one of the most amazing places I've been. Malaysia is a nice place but doesn't compare to Angkor. It's one of those places that everyone must see. Full moon at Angkor Wat :o

I flew from BKK to Phnom Penh and then from there to Siem Reap; the flights were fine. I stayed in a really nice hotel in Siem Reap but can't remember what it was called! If I remember, I'll post it here.

Well now I can't decide - go to Malaysia or to Cambodia.  I've always wanted to see Ankgor Wat - anyone been there?

Go to Angkor – it’s truly awe-inspiring. I live in Cambodia and as much as a love Thailand I have visited Siem Reap four times and each time I’ve been amazed at how spectacular the Temples are. Don't forget to pack your camera.

Sexy Beast

Assuming 1 day to get to Siem Reap and 1 day back to BKK via ground transpo - how many days do you suggest I plan to get a good look at Angkor Wat?

moon

I recommend at least three days, so as not to rush your experience and risk it all blurring together.

Unless there's been a change, visitor passes to the monuments are:

$20 for 1 day;

$40 for 3 days; and

$60 for 1 week.

I went for a three day visit, which meant two exhausting, rushed days of exploration. It was almost enough, and I wish I had allotted myself another day or so, although I must add how overwhelmed I was by all of it at the time. Apropos to Sexy Beast's recommendation - I'm not much of a photographer - I usually forget that I'm carrying one. That said, my shots from Angkor are some of the best I have ever taken. Enjoy -

jb